Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 30, 2005, 2:37 AM   #1

Tomorrow, my alter ego, Stan will die. The phones will shut down, the facility will shut down, and support for digicams will be re-routed to a new facility. The official cause of death will be strangulation by bean counters.

I am wondering if I can get a 21 gun salute, at least...

If I have helped you, answered your questions, or helped you chose your camera wisely...say AYE!

If not..well, I'll be dead, so I don't want to hear it.

FZFUN/MainFragger/Ex-Stan/Brian
http://www.myspace.com/mainfragger (for links to my images)

Peace!
FZFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2005, 10:04 AM   #2

Who are you? What are you talking about? I won't miss you. Sorry.
RedHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 10:04 AM   #3

Bye
Old Jul 1, 2005, 12:06 PM   #4

Very bizarre!
imaruke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 1:27 PM   #5

I WAS the lead technician for Pansonic Digital Cameras (and various other products that we supported). As of today, support for the digital cameras moved to a new facility. My death notice was my joking way of retiring the false name I had to take because there was already a Brian when I started there back in 1993. Most of the tougher or more detailed camera calls got referred to me. Especially if they required some actual understanding of camera theory (which most techs have no real interest in learning).

Some of the features that have improved or been added to the FZ20 from the FZ10 (which I own) were suggested by me to engineering prior to its design based off of my experience in operating the FZ10, talking with customers, and viewing these forums..

I often help people compare our various FZ cameras to choose which one will be right for them.

I even used resources that the company was not willing to allow me to have to be able to analyze image quality and exif information from customers with image quality issues. This probably saved Panasonic a lot of money in the long run, as 95% of the "Problems" I've encountered were from lack of understanding of basic photography. Without a way of viewing those images and the exif info, I would have had to have taken the customer's word for it and referred them to service.

I got to play both sides of the fence. I did my best to be a prophet for those who wished to know which path to take to get their best choice of camera, and to pass their suggestions on to engineering so that future cameras would be even better.

I also want to thank many of you. When I first started learning about photography, many of the opinions and information on these forums helped me out a lot.

I got bit by the bug, and am now myself hoping to eventually become a pro photographer. Many of my event and band photography links are on that web link below my handle. I have had the FZ10 since it came out, and and have put roughly 52,000 images on it.

As far as missing me? Well, we shall see the next time you have to call in for support.

FZFUN/MainFragger/Ex-Stan/Brian
http://www.myspace.com/mainfragger
Old Jul 1, 2005, 4:24 PM   #6

Very very bizarre!
Old Jul 1, 2005, 6:31 PM   #7

Dude. I looked at your website and all I can say is you're out there. Sounds like you were a phone tech. I''m sure Panasonic and most of us will survive without your help. You sound a little too full of yourself. Good luck. .........Very, very.very bizarre:?
Old Jul 2, 2005, 4:11 AM   #8

Sheesh, how out there can *I* be, if you actually look like your icon?

Was it my thoughts and ideas that are out there? My pictures? My friends list?

After defending my reasons to have a place to come to work for the past 4 years or so, I guess I do seem to come off a little full of myself. Several times we came pretty close, but engineering worked with us (and said, "What are you? NUTS?!?!?" a few hundred times to the people in charge) to help maintain our jobs. I guess things just got bad enough that the bean counters finally ignored engineering and the ax fell.

I've been supporting Panasonic products since 1993, but became a full time employee on August 10, 1995. This August WOULD have been my official company 10 year anniversary. The real irony of that is that I almost left the company 2 years ago, but then decided I was close enough to 10 years that I'd try and at least make it to that marker. I was almost there... I feel like the carpet just got pulled out from under me.

In a way, I'm glad its over. I feel like I can get on with my life now. But I will miss the people that I worked with. They were all great. If I came off full of myself..then now allow me to come off full of them as well.... They were great. And I have no problem stating that they are the best support team you could ever wish for in any company. Customers may or may not notice. Panasonic might or might not notice. But as far as I am concerned both company and customers lost out the day they closed our doors.

The show of "Aye"s I wanted before isn't because I want to feed my ego. Its because I want whoever monitors this board from Panasonic (and believe me, it IS monitored) to get a true sense of what impact we have had on consumers, and on their business.

In the future, you might even get to hear from certain other ex-employees that work at other facilities who will back up my statements.

MainFragger/Brian
Old Jul 2, 2005, 7:49 AM   #9

Many companies are failing in todays world. The giant called China is awake. The resources that are being consumed are tremendous. Lumber, oil, weapons, etc. Heck, the price of concrete worldwide is being affected by the dam they are building. The world economy cannot keep up with the huge change in demand. And this outsourcing thing for phone support/help centers in India and Pakistan is too much. I gave up trying to reschedule a return flight ticket on Delta Airlines because I spoke English and the person on the other end didn't understand. Took 30 minutes and she she still did not understand the word CANCEL.

Once the balance is restored, things will be better.You have an opportunity tostart something new. Hang in there and be thankful you are young enough to go find another job. Many out there are too old to be hiredand end up as a Walmart greeter.

Also, look at the pictures posted on this board. They reflect who this community is and when compared to your website, there is no match.

Remember to buy products manufactured that support the economy in your country.

Sorry for the Monologue!
Old Jul 10, 2005, 3:02 PM   #10

On the website issue: No match in what way? The pure number of images? The quality of images? The types of images. Whats on my web space is just the fun loving part of my images. I do a lot of nature photography and macro photography that I don't even have listed on that site. I post a lot of images on Dgrin AND some here. A lot of the images I posted here aren't even on my site.

And I am starting to get better equipment. Soon I will have what I need to put together my studio, and I will be a little more use to my new Canon 20D. THEN I will really start putting some effort into generating some truly artistic stuff. I even have 3 different photographic book projects in mind. I have some stories to tell, and I just need the resources and money to put them together. Plus I've been writing my script for all the shots and how I want to do them and so forth. Right now, I know I'm the little fish in the pond, but give me a year or two, and that will change. Big time!

FZFUN/MainFragger