Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 1, 2005, 1:37 AM   #1

:? Hello everyone in the Panasonic photo world. Any helpful knowledge would be greatly appreciated. On July 3rd. my wife and I are going to be taking our very first (and if it's up to me our only) hot air balloon ride, (I don't like heights.) Anyway, can anybody tell me what would be my best option on camera settings. I own an FZ20 with only a couple months experience. We will be leaving the ground approx. 7:00 in the morning and the weather is supposed to be mostly sunny. I would like to get some good sharp ariel shots. Also, should I use the lens shade. Thanks in advance.
TheHartster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2005, 2:28 AM   #2

I have no advice, I am just requesting in advance that you post some of the photos you take. I've always wanted to take some of those ariel shots but never have had the opportunity.

Have any of you seen the google satellite photo map? If you haven't you should check it out. Here is the satellite map ofwhere I work for example:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=307+N....;t=k&hl=en

beernutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 2:42 AM   #3

beernutz wrote:
Quote:
I have no advice, I am just requesting in advance that you post some of the photos you take. I've always wanted to take some of those ariel shots but never have had the opportunity.

Have any of you seen the google satellite photo map? If you haven't you should check it out. Here is the satellite map ofwhere I work for example:

Hey! that's only 1,081 miles from my home. I'll be glad to post some pics, if I make it back in one piece, or you coluld just stop over during your lunch break.
Old Jul 1, 2005, 3:54 AM   #4

TheHartster wrote:
Quote:
:? Hello everyone in the Panasonic photo world. Any helpful knowledge would be greatly appreciated. On July 3rd. my wife and I are going to be taking our very first (and if it's up to me our only) hot air balloon ride, (I don't like heights.) Anyway, can anybody tell me what would be my best option on camera settings. I own an FZ20 with only a couple months experience. We will be leaving the ground approx. 7:00 in the morning and the weather is supposed to be mostly sunny. I would like to get some good sharp ariel shots. Also, should I use the lens shade. Thanks in advance.

Yes, you should always use the lens hood except for flash; it blocks Sun from hitting the lens and more importantly, it reduces the ambient light from washing out colors. Ambient light are invisible rays that bounce off objects in the front of your lens and wash out the colors. Panasonic sent you the hood for a reason. Zoom lenses are magnets for ambient light. My photography tutor my cousin, told me that the hood is the most important accessory a photographer can have, he said the hood could improve available light shots at night by controlling the light bounce from a lamppost.

Get there early, and hope you are one of the last ones to take off. Unless you are taking pictures of other balloons in the sky aerial, shot are not very exciting. All the beauty is on the ground, the unpacking, the inflating and the initial assent.

You can lean how to make these setting in the book.

Set exposure bias to –1/3 and leave it there. The camera has a tendency to over expose a bit and this help.

Set OIS to mode II and leave it there, Mode I, in an attempt to steady the picture in the viewfinder delays the image enough so what you see is never what you get.

Morning: Aperture priority F2.8

Late morning and all day Aperture priority and F5

Set ISO to auto

Use your zoom to get close. See if you can take pictures inside the balloon on the ground looking back out.

Take pictures of the burners, partially inflated balloons. Take pictures of interesting looking balloon people in the act of preparation. See if you can get directly underneath a balloon when it is no more then 30 feet above you, get the basket in the center and have the balloon surround it. You will want to expose for the balloon so point you camera at the balloon depress the button half way hold it while you center the shot and fire. Take a nice wide-angle shot of all the balloons being inflated. Position yourself so the rising sun is behind the balloon. Try to isolate other balloon so the background is not distracting, have fun and please post them

The camera will adjust the speed andthe ISO around your F-stop so you do not have to worry.

Take some practice shot of anything at around the 6:30 – 7:30 period and see how the camera reacts.

That is what I would do. I have never done this but I am going to do it this year.

Even though the best shots are on the ground you will never experience the quiet and serine feeling of being up there. Who said you have to look down.

So why should you follow my advice?

HTH

--

If you have time, visit http://lovelife.smugmug.com/

LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 12:51 PM   #5

LoveLife

Thanks for taking the time to type back a great in-depth reply. I have everything written down on a little cheat card. I know with what little experience I have had with this camera (due to a heavy work load for the past few months) I will not get any Rembrandts, but the worst thing is doing something you probably never do again, and having terrible photos of that event. Again thanks, your advice on settings, composition and everything else will definitely make my job easier and more exciting. I will post a few shots when I return.
BH
Old Jul 8, 2005, 1:12 PM   #6

TheHartster wrote:
Quote:
beernutz wrote:
Quote:

Hey! that's only 1,081 miles from my home. I'll be glad to post some pics, if I make it back in one piece, or you coluld just stop over during your lunch break.
Lancaster, huh? Try this then: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Lancas...;t=k&hl=en

I'll be there around noon. If you make it, that is.
beernutz is offline   Reply With Quote