Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 1, 2005, 11:16 PM   #1

From 70 yards on full 72mm, then a crop this is a common result. yes, I need to get real
... get a better telephoto lens, cause often I can't get closer.

Attached Images

Tazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2005, 10:13 AM   #2

You are kidding .. right.

70 yards!

You need to be closer.

Or a digiscope setup which means a new camera and scope.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2005, 10:54 AM   #3

genece, I take that as a vote for crap. It looks like wall paper, or a mediocre water
color. Which is some sort of art, or at least better than many photos I've seen. Its just not a clean sharp defined picture. The shame is that six pilated woodpeckers were there a moment before that shot. Getting closer wasn't an option. No, I'm not kidding. I'm trying to get real. I guess I'm asking what does it take? There really isn't anything I can screw on an FZ20 that can do this sort of work is there? Wouldn't I need around 30 power? 600 to 800mm?
Old Jul 2, 2005, 12:17 PM   #4

Tazzie wrote:
Quote:
genece, I take that as a vote for crap. It looks like wall paper, or a mediocre water
color. Which is some sort of art, or at least better than many photos I've seen. Its just not a clean sharp defined picture. The shame is that six pilated woodpeckers were there a moment before that shot. Getting closer wasn't an option. No, I'm not kidding. I'm trying to get real. I guess I'm asking what does it take? There really isn't anything I can screw on an FZ20 that can do this sort of work is there? Wouldn't I need around 30 power? 600 to 800mm?
Hi Tazzie, here's some teleconverters you might consider:

Canon TL-55 = 1.4 magnification = 604mm on fz20

Olympus TCON 14B = 1.45 magnification = 626mm on fz20

Panasonic DMW LTZ10 =1.5 magnification = 648mm on fz20

Raynox DCR 1540 PRO = 1.54 magnification = 665mm on fz20

Olympus TCON 17 = 1.7 magnification = 734mm on fz20

Sony HGD 1758 = 1.7 magnification = 734mm on fz 20

Raynox DCR 2020 PRO = 2.2 magnification = 950mm on fz 20

In terms overall quality (the ability to reproduce a picture as close as possible to the built in Leica lens) here are my choices: (this is onlymy opinion, you may have different preferences) Ask 10 men their opinion = get 10 different opinions:G.

1) Panasonic DMW LTZ10 (expensive)

2) Olympus TCON 14B (sharp and least amount of CA)

3) Canon TL-55 (close to 14B)

4) Olympus TCON 17 (visible CA)

5) Sony HGD 1758 (visible CA)

6) Raynox DCR 1540 PRO (sharp in center but soft on edges of pic w/CA)

7) Raynox DCR 2020 PRO (sharp in center but soft on edges of pic W/CA)

If you want super magnification with clarity, you can stack...great combo is TL-55 and TCON 14B, but it requires much modification. The TL-55 has no front threads.

Hope this helps,

Hiroshi

Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2005, 6:32 PM   #5

Hiroshi, it appears even those hard into digiscoping seldom shoot past 40 yards with
this side of an 80mm scope. They often use fixed, small lens cameras. I could maybe see a good Kowa; but, I don't care to get into a Celestron or similar hardware, or a different camera.

I hoped to stick with the FZ20, but I'm doubting a teleconverter like you recommended
could do the job I need. I'd like to be wrong. I'd like to be able to work with birds and
other creatures thu 150 yards. I'll probably give up on the idea for now after having read:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...d=68&msg=3
Old Jul 2, 2005, 7:37 PM   #6

Tazzie wrote:
Quote:
Hiroshi, it appears even those hard into digiscoping seldom shoot past 40 yards with
this side of an 80mm scope. They often use fixed, small lens cameras. I could maybe see a good Kowa; but, I don't care to get into a Celestron or similar hardware, or a different camera.

I hoped to stick with the FZ20, but I'm doubting a teleconverter like you recommended
could do the job I need. I'd like to be wrong. I'd like to be able to work with birds and
other creatures thu 150 yards. I'll probably give up on the idea for now after having read:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...d=68&msg=3
As Emily Litellaused tosay "Never mind.":G:G:G
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote