Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 2, 2005, 2:53 AM   #1

okay, so i went back to the scene of the crime, and tried shooting ospreys again using some different settings. these were shot handheld, shutter priority mode at 1/1000-1/1300 sec., f4.5-5.6, ISO 100. the sky wasn't as clear as my last trip there, so it looks a bit washed out, but the birds came out pretty clear, which is progress! i think they came out a lot better than the last ones i took... wht do y'all think?

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2005, 6:36 AM   #2

These are great squirl they would have been perfect if the haze wasnt against you.

The speed settingsareexcellent . Being hand held is very good , did you use a tele ?

If not that would be the only thing missing on these shots in order to get more detail and clarity . Very nice pics :|
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2005, 6:39 AM   #3

What a beautiful bird Squirl033! Number 3 is a cracker.

Did you use a Pol' filter for these, and any post processing at all?

Chad
jchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2005, 10:06 AM   #4

Squirl, I've been waiting to see these, since your last post of the ospreys. They're much better. They just lack the definition you'd really like to see. What distance and crop do we have here?
Tazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2005, 12:00 PM   #5

Yes, they look better to my me. Now if you could just manage to get some sun, you'd be all set, eh !

Charlie46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2005, 12:41 PM   #6

THE SHOTS ARE MAGNIFICENT! If only you could have been closer...I agree with the others that the definition isn't there. The pics look a little too over-sharpened (the edges give it away). But man, the composition of the shots are #1, you just need more zooooooooomand a sunny day:G.

Hiroshi
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2005, 1:31 PM   #7

thanks all for the comments. i was using max optical zoom on my FZ20 (i don't have a teleconverter yet), and because of the cloud cover, i left the polarizer in my bag. i did very minimal PP on these... just a bit of sharpeningand cropping by about 50%to get rid of a bunch of empty sky (i oversharpened by just a bit, because i want to get prints made, and sharpness that looks a bit much onthe screen looks just fine when printed). i'd really have preferred nice, blue skies, but the clouds were against me. still, i can live with that if the rest of the image is okay. these are much better, i agree, than my previous effort, but still not up to what i have in my mind... perhaps i'm expecting a bit more than the FZ candeliver in this specific instance? or is it a matter of distance, and i just need to be closer? getting physically closer, while easily possible, wasn't really practical, since every time i moved closer than about40 yardsfrom the nest, the bird would leave and fly around in agitation, and not return to the nest. she had eggs there, and i didn't want to frighten her too far away for too long.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2005, 9:51 PM   #8

Again, I'm no expert but my opinion is if you have enough sunlight you'll be able to get what you expect. If that means cropping a bit because you don't yet have a tele, so be it. I believe a polarizer on a sunny day will get you there. Hang in there. Can't wait for another set!

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
thanks all for the comments. i was using max optical zoom on my FZ20 (i don't have a teleconverter yet), and because of the cloud cover, i left the polarizer in my bag. i did very minimal PP on these... just a bit of sharpeningand cropping by about 50%to get rid of a bunch of empty sky (i oversharpened by just a bit, because i want to get prints made, and sharpness that looks a bit much onthe screen looks just fine when printed). i'd really have preferred nice, blue skies, but the clouds were against me. still, i can live with that if the rest of the image is okay. these are much better, i agree, than my previous effort, but still not up to what i have in my mind... perhaps i'm expecting a bit more than the FZ candeliver in this specific instance? or is it a matter of distance, and i just need to be closer? getting physically closer, while easily possible, wasn't really practical, since every time i moved closer than about40 yardsfrom the nest, the bird would leave and fly around in agitation, and not return to the nest. she had eggs there, and i didn't want to frighten her too far away for too long.
Charlie46227 is offline   Reply With Quote