Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 2, 2005, 11:27 AM   #1

The Raynox dcr6600 .66x wide angle converter is an excellent wa lens exhibiting essentially no barrel distortion. There is some vignetting with the fz5 stock adapter and the required 55-52mm step down ring. Modifying the adapter with a raynox 52mm rt5264p aluminum tube adapter to get the 6600 as close to the fz5 lens as possible takes care of that and also results in good corner quality through the zoom with the fz5/6600 combo. Modification description at http://www.ishots.net/fz5/modified_fz5_adapter.htm

FZ5 + Raynox dcr6600 at full wide (1x)

More shots at http://www.holmesburg.com/indepointe Most were taken with the fz5+6600.

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2005, 11:42 AM   #2

Fred: I'm impressed that the lens/adapter combo that you described can allow the WA shots without any barrel distortion, but in looking at the gallery, I found myself wondering why one would go to all that trouble to capture a few scenery shots that could have been shot at a normal FL with the ordinary camera, and then stitched with Panorama Maker? What kinds of shots really show off the unique capture abilities of good WA lens? I was thinking that maybe a shot taken inside someone's living room might show it off better?
John_Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2005, 12:06 PM   #3

John_Reed wrote:
Quote:
Fred: I'm impressed that the lens/adapter combo that you described can allow the WA shots without any barrel distortion, but in looking at the gallery, I found myself wondering why one would go to all that trouble to capture a few scenery shots that could have been shot at a normal FL with the ordinary camera, and then stitched with Panorama Maker? What kinds of shots really show off the unique capture abilities of good WA lens? I was thinking that maybe a shot taken inside someone's living room might show it off better?
Hey John! Welcome to the forum. First of all, panorama stitching means another proceedure to go through and, although it is often quite simple, it can be quite a challenge in some cases. I doubt the first or second shot above could have been duplicated with stitching.So I would say they demonstrate the unique capturewith the wa. (The second shotmay be someone's living room.) Furthermore, there is a concensus that the perspective is not as "accurate or pleasing" with stitching. That is certainly subjective. I guess what I should do is take shots w/ and w/o the wa of something similar to the third shot, whichis easily stitched, and see how they compare. Stay tuned.

Fred

Old Jul 2, 2005, 12:44 PM   #4

Impressive!!!
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2005, 9:08 PM   #5

I dunno, Fred. I kinda like shots like this pano from Galapagos, seamless from 3 FZ-15 panels:I've got a 10" X 34" print of it matted, framed, and hanging in my office. I don't think your WA would have picked up such a vista, right?*
Old Jul 2, 2005, 9:23 PM   #6

My dcr 6600 arrived last week and I couldn't be happier.
Works great in a multitude of situations... especially inside group pics and landscapes.
Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2005, 9:39 PM   #7

Yes, that's a nice landscape panorama. (With a noticeable seamin the vicinity ofthe three smaller yachts, IMO.) No, you can't do anything that wide with the dcr6600. I'm all for stitching this type of shot. Actually you have no choice. It's the more dramatic angle shot with well defined focus point(s) that is handled 'better' with the wa converter.

Btw, the dcr6600 is so free of barrel distortion that stitching is an option there as well. This is from two fz1v2/6600 images. The seam is noticeable here, too(poorly executed pano capture), but the stitchability even with this wa is still "impressive".

FZ1v2 with dcr6600

Old Jul 3, 2005, 1:22 AM   #8

You're right, that IS impressive, and I think you could probably have ironed out the "seam" with a little judicious application of the "healing" tool in Photoshop. (I still don't see the seam in mine, even though you pointed one out. A wave of the ocean?) It would certainly be nice to have that WA available, but I'm a light packer, carry very little extra gear around. That's one reason why I prefer the pano approach, as with the normal camera, I'm always ready for a pano shot, without having to bolt on any accessories. Pardon this dumb question, but what does the subject lens take you down to, equivalent focal-length-wise?[img]/forums/images/emoticons/confused-smiley-017.gif[/img]
Old Jul 3, 2005, 8:07 AM   #9

John_Reed wrote:
Quote:
I'm a light packer, carry very little extra gear around. That's one reason why I prefer the pano approach, as with the normal camera, I'm always ready for a pano shot, without having to bolt on any accessories. Pardon this dumb question, but what does the subject lens take you down to, equivalent focal-length-wise?
24mm (.66x36). I'm a light packer myself but the dcr6600 isamazingly small for all the widthit brings. It's the same diameter front and rear as the tl55 and about 1/4" shorter. Fits verycomfortably in a small belt case I have for the dcr5000 .5x (a lousy wa lens, btw).

Old Jul 3, 2005, 8:43 AM   #10

Can anyone point me to a reputable on-line seller of the 6600. The Aussie distributor's site is down for rebuilding, and I can't get info as to where to buy locally.

Chad

jchad is offline   Reply With Quote