Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 3, 2005, 7:37 AM   #1

I have a FZ 20 and a Paynee tube. I use a UV filter on the tube for normal shots and I noticed that it has threads. Should I remove it before attaching my Tcon 17 or just put the lens on the filter? What is best?
RP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 3, 2005, 11:13 AM   #2

I just put my tele right onto the UV filter, sometimes I add my polarizer into the setup as well. I am using a TCON 14b. I do not notice any additional vignetting (to what the tele itself creates). This has been asked here before and I am guessing you will receive comments suggesting to leave it on or remove it.¬*I basically leave my UV on all the time and then add any lens or filters on top of it. The threads on my TCON are damaged¬* & nonfunctional but toting around two sizes of filters¬* is a bit expensive and impractical.
pschooley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2005, 1:08 PM   #3

pschooley1 wrote:
Quote:
I just put my tele right onto the UV filter, sometimes I add my polarizer into the setup as well. I am using a TCON 14b. I do not notice any additional vignetting (to what the tele itself creates). This has been asked here before and I am guessing you will receive comments suggesting to leave it on or remove it.I basically leave my UV on all the time and then add any lens or filters on top of it. The threads on my TCON are damaged & nonfunctional but toting around two sizes of filters is a bit expensive and impractical.
I've been removing my UV filter. It's been my understanding that the closer the teleconverter is to the Leica the sharper the picture. Have you experimented to see if there is any difference with and without the UV filter? I would be interested in your findings. I haven't done that test yet.

Hiroshi
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2005, 1:26 PM   #4

I just usea separate adapter for lens with no filter but before I started that I saw very little difference either way.

Certainly nothing PS could not make up for.

I just find it faster and easier to swap the adapter.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2005, 9:08 PM   #5

With film, and shooting senics, the UV helps cut thru haze, and "might" do the same on the digital cameras. If you are shooting birds at 30', there won't be enuf haze to need cutting, so you "might" get sharper results without the extra 2 glass surfaces in the optical path. There are some $50+ UV filters that "might not" degrade the sharpness, but mine are cheapies, and I take them off. This also gets the TCON closer to the 'Leica' which is "supposed" to help. Your milage may vary - do test shots both ways and be your own judge. Tom :-)
tswill2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2005, 10:52 PM   #6

Hiroshi,I have tried it both ways and have not noticed any difference. My UV filter is a relatively high quality Nikon model - I suppose cheaper models may have more of an impact.¬*
pschooley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 12:53 AM   #7

pschooley1 wrote:
Quote:
Hiroshi,I have tried it both ways and have not noticed any difference. My UV filter is a relatively high quality Nikon model - I suppose cheaper models may have more of an impact.
Thanks for your input. I have a Hoya Super HMC Pro 1, so I don't think I should have a problem with leaving it on. I'll try it out both ways just to make sure.

Hiroshi
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote