Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 7, 2005, 3:24 PM   #11

Dean,

The strap that LoveLife referred to is the Tamrac "B-27 Boomerang" which you can see at:
http://tamrac.com/g_camerastraps.htm

I use one from Op/Tech USA. They have many models but the one that I selected is the "Super Classic Loop" which you can see at: http://www.optechusa.com/product/det...;CATEGORY_ID=4

Op/Tech also has one similar to the Tamrac -- the "Pro" which you can see at: http://www.optechusa.com/product/det...;CATEGORY_ID=4

Op/Tech straps have quick connect attachments and some come in 3/8" web strap connectors or Loop connectors. I happen to prefer the Loop but your mileage may vary.

Dick

rschofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 5:51 PM   #12

Just for a different approach...

I don't use a strap, keep my camera in a small soft case on a fanny pack belt, just like a holster. Just a small wrist strap on the camera. After years of hanging a heavy SLR around my neck, I really like the new setup, don't miss the strap at all.

And no longer bang the camera on rocks, pickupboxes etcwhen scrambling around for a better viewpoint. Or having to hold on to the camera.
pmjwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 5:55 PM   #13

pmjwright wrote:
Quote:
Just for a different approach...

I don't use a strap, keep my camera in a small soft case on a fanny pack belt, just like a holster. Just a small wrist strap on the camera. After years of hanging a heavy SLR around my neck, I really like the new setup, don't miss the strap at all.

And no longer bang the camera on rocks, pickupboxes etcwhen scrambling around for a better viewpoint. Or having to hold on to the camera.
Candids are my passion, how quick can you draw and fire?
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2005, 1:19 PM   #14

Good question. This is off topic, but for taking lots of candids (actually for everything), I think I still prefer a manual zoom, it keeps the index finger on the shutter instead of on the zoom lever.

Whenmy FZ5 is in the case, it is stored lens down/LED up. Most likely it's powered off, but for my kids sports shots or for candids,I'd leave it on, with lens cap off, and the case unzipped. The case is on my right hip.With thecase and camera in this position, I find I can grab it in ashooting grip instantly. In one motion as I raise the camera, I flip on the power with my thumb (if it's off),remove the lens cap (if on), and flick thezoom lever. By the time the EVF reaches my eye I'm ready to shoot, just waiting for the camera to finish powering up.

I think my quick draw technique is about as quick as if the camera was on a neck strap, except if I need to unzip the case. But the thing I like most is the hands-free vs a neck strap, you know it's just natural to hold onto the camera! And even though the FZ is so light, it's still weight around the neck, and it bounces around. To me, the hands-free comfort outweighs the possible slower shooting.

Re flicking the zoom lever--perhaps you already know this but if not: I've learned to use this tipto speed up the readiness time while powering up. Because the lens stores at12X zoom butthe default on setting is 1X, a lot of lag time is spentzooming out. Then you have to zoom backto what you want. Now you're finally ready to shoot. (all thisrezooming, plus lag time,removing lens cap and maybe flipping out the LED, constituteswhat I call "readiness time" or true lag time of an ultrazoom--it's a pet peeve that camera reviews say 1.5 or 3.4 seconds lag time, but you're still far from ready to take the picture!)

You can power up at 12X by holding the zoom lever, or witha quick flick at just the right timing, you can stop the lens atroughly your desired zoom.

Likewise, you can power onbefore removing the lens cap, you've got a second or so before it triggers the "BEEP BEEPRemove lens cap and press >" message, so you can save another second of readiness time.
pmjwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2005, 3:40 AM   #15

pmjwright wrote:
Quote:
Just a small wrist strap on the camera.
I also discarded the loop-around-the-neck style strap that came with my FZ10 and went for a cheap wrist strap that attaches only to the right hand lug. It is far, far superior!

With the neck strap, the camera was always bouncing against my chest or belly (or dragging in the dirt if I was bending over). And with the wrist strap, if I drop the camera, it only falls a few cm before it hits the limit. With the neck strap, if you are bending over, it can hit the ground after quite a fall.

No way would I go back to a standard neck strap, even one of those fancy ones I see in this thread!
anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote