Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 4, 2005, 1:11 AM   #1

well this will be my first 4th of July with a digital camera, and the FZ20 at that! I'm hoping to get some good fireworks pictures and i wanted advice on how to go about it. i'll be using my FZ20 with a tripod. please suggest the best settings for this type of thing. thanks!:!:
Max_Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2005, 12:13 PM   #2

I took some firework images a few days ago during the Canada Day celebrations with my FZ20. Some shots were taken in the Fireworks scene mode. I was not really happy with these images. The camera set the Fstop to around 4 or 5.6 with a shutter speed of 1/4 second. At these settings you could capture the fireworks well enough, but the images seemed to static. With a short shutter speed you don't get many good light trails. I was happier with the images when I set the camera to full manual with an F stop of 8 and shuter speeds of 1 second or more,depending on the type of effect you want. When you have 3 or 4 bursts of fireworks going off over a course of a few seconds a longer shutter speed will make for great images.One more word of advice is to set focus to manual and focus on an area close to where the fireworks will be going off. Bit of a pain to focus in low light conditions though, as all FZ users will attest.

Happy 4th of July to allthe American Panasonic forum members!
Narcis Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 12:22 PM   #3

Here you have some improvised fireworks shoots taken 5 days ago with the scene mode... taken without tripod.... I agree with above comments... a longer exposition will be better to capture all traces... but don't forget to take a tripod or to shoot from a very stable position....
guixers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 12:36 PM   #4

Sorry, too big

EXIF = 1/4 sec, F 4.0, ISO 100, Metering Mode=pattern, Exposition= Normal Program
Attached Images

Old Jul 4, 2005, 12:37 PM   #5

Another #2

EXIF = 1/4 sec, F 4.0, ISO 100, Metering Mode=pattern, Exposition= Normal Program
Attached Images

Old Jul 4, 2005, 12:40 PM   #6

#3 SCENE MODE TOO

Attached Images

Old Jul 4, 2005, 12:41 PM   #7

Narcis pretty much has it down.. prefocus (full manual settings) on something a little closer than where the bursts will be occurring, set aperture to something above f4, and set your shutter to a minimum of 1 sec. 2 or 4 would probablybe better - try different settings if you have time, to get different effects. i would only add that if you have a remote shutter release, use it. if not,set the self timer for 2 sec, wait for the first airburst (they usually come in 2's or 3's, if not continuously) then push the shutter button and take your hand away.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 12:45 PM   #8

You can see that guixers pics needed a longer exposure to get more light and show more trails. F8 would give you the greatest depth of field also.
RedHouse is offline   Reply With Quote