Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 5, 2005, 11:19 AM   #11

For personal use and within the confines the the post 9/11 reality you can pretty well take any images you wish in a public place.

As soon as you try to use your images for any commercial purpose you should have a valid release. Or bad things can happen if the subject decides they do not agree with the use of their image.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2005, 9:10 AM   #12

Hi, this is such an intresting topic.In trying to understand how to use my camera, I have taken all types of pictures.......I do enjoy taking pictures of people out in publicin everyday life, you can get such wonderful pictures....butI wouldn't dare sell any of them. My question is this......How do the "paparatzie" get away with it and do photo journalist,newspaper photographers,etc.,have to have special releases for all their pictures? If it is a truthful(not posed)picture taken in public for non comercial reasons.....taken for arts sake.....I have no problem with it.Lovelife has shown us some wonderful pictures of people in public. I wonder what his thoughts are....and if he can enlighten us.Anyone in the legal field on this website? I have to say I agree with fmoore and boyzo.......Interesting points and readings suze, and very interesting questions!!?!.......bentleysmom
bentleysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2005, 4:49 PM   #13

The operative word is profit. You can be sued for taking pictures of anyone if that picture brings financial reward and the person being photographed is not normally in the public eye. You can take pictures of anyone in a public environment and make tons of copies as long as you do not receive any financial reward. I have been doing this for 40 years. So, snap away.

Here are some of my latest shots

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2005, 8:10 PM   #14
dlw

I hope this is not too far off the subject, but my hobby is taking pictures of abandoned houses, old barns, etc - never any people in the photos. Would I have to obtain releases before I sold any of these images? (probably never will sell any, but am planning a website with these photos. Sure don't want/need any legal problems, for sure!
dlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2005, 11:56 AM   #15

Yup. You would need a property release. Although, you might be able to get around that if you can prove that you took the picture during a period of non-ownership, of said property. I am not sure how you would get a release for a state or city owned property.

FZFUN
FZFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2005, 5:17 PM   #16

Decision to snap - which has thegreater influence on behaviour

Q. will I get sued

OR

Q. do Irespect for the rights of the subject

opinion - it is the general failing of the second point that creates the need for the first
norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2005, 5:52 PM   #17
dlw

FZFUN, are you saying I would need a release if I sold my barn pictures? If they are never to be sold, but put on a website with no identifing information, would I still need a release? I would think that anything that was seen from a public road (most of my shots are taken when I pull off to the side of a rural road and shoot the photo) would be OK to put on a web site if they are never sold. What's the take on this? Frankly, it would be very difficult to track down anyone to get a release from on these very rural photos and I have seen other websites with barn pictures before and they never mentioned anything about releases. I just want to do the right thing here.
Old Jul 10, 2005, 1:34 PM   #18

Well, I've seen this topic come up before, and the general consensus is consult a lawyer. The laws as to how to handle internet content and pictures of property/people being posted publicly may vary from state to state. I think if someone has specifically told you not to post their images or images of their property, they have a more solid case against you, too.

FZFUN/MainFragger
FZFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2005, 7:18 PM   #19
dlw

It sure is a gray area. Of course, I would not take any pictures if anyone asked me not to. There is a website called publaw.com that addresses releases. It seems to me they are saying that if a photo is taken from a public property (ie: from the side of the public road), and there is nothing advertising something or other commercial issues, you probably don't need a release. That only makes sense to me, otherwise, could you even look at something like that without being sued? Anyway, I do have several friends that arelawyers and one that was a county judgeand I would consult them before even posting pictures on my web site.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 7:45 PM   #20

Some links and reading........

Here is a link for USA

http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm

This pertains to Aus.

http://www.virtualcity.com.au/~spmmc/newsletters/Barry%20Daniel.pdf

As always common sense prevails.

boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote