Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 4, 2005, 2:38 PM   #1

Philip-Lorca diCorcia is being sued by aman that he photographed in 2001, as part of his "Heads"series:

http://claytoncubitt.com/blogs/usedf...rcia-sued.html

David Barzelay's blog presents some interesting points of view on this as well: http://www.barzelay.net/archives/200...grapher_ta.php

I'll be keeping an eye on the news for the outcome of the court case. Any comments from forum members?
suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2005, 3:09 PM   #2

IMO, the photographer should have gotten a release, plain and simple. He was stupid for not doing so and will probably pay big time. (just my 2c) Having said that, I think it is silly to need to get a release when a person is knowingly getting his picture taken, but that was not the case here. Bottom line... always get a release if there is ANY chance you stand to gain down the road. I'm so poor I don't have to worry about such things :|
Charlie46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 3:48 PM   #3

Thisis surelyan ancientdilemma. Ex: circa 40,000 BC; Cave artist is banned from the cave for painting a picture of one of the cave dwellers on the cave wall without that dwellers consent. Fast forward to Walker Evans sitting on a subway car in the 1940's snapping away atclueless fellow travellers with the camera hidden in his shirt. And on to get-a-life papparzi shooting too-much-life celebs at their umpteenth wedding.

The bottom line for me is I don't want restrictions on what I photographor where I display them. I'm not a professional and have no desires in that direction. Once money gets involved, freedom is out the window.

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 5:45 PM   #4

Suze

Thanks for posting this - i wasn't aware that you could get sued for doing a wee bit of photography. Interesting read...

:O:O

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 6:13 PM   #5

I don't see any difference between this and a model. If you plan to profit (or even if you don't plan) you should get a release from your subjects and/or be prepaired to pay. It happens a lot. I seem to recall a guy's image/likeness being used on a soup can a while back. The picture was taken some 10-15 years back. He sued and won!

If you take/use photos for profit, you should be prepared to compensate your models for the use of their image--Either up front or in court.
CCWKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 7:08 PM   #6

Ken

I remember that particular case and agreed with the decision of the court and you make a very valid comparison with models.

Harj

:?

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 7:45 PM   #7

I picked up photograpyh as a hobby in the late 60's. From that time on it was always the case that 'public photos' were just that...public. But I haven't kept up with the legal situation and I don't know the specifics of this suit.

john
jmgiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 8:21 PM   #8

Yep John, things have changed a lot. Court decisions vary depending on the facts. If you were to get a shot of Madona on a beach and sold it to one of the "rags", you'd probably get away with it. If you put the same picture in a calendar and sold copies, I bet you'd end up in court. I don't know the specifics of what rights/laws are used; I just know that it's best to be safe than sorry. If you benifit in commerce from someone's image, you should get a release.

CCWKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 3:18 AM   #9

I agree with Fred in principal and he put it well, I have taken quite a few candid shots over the years, it depends on intent and what you wan't to do with the images, just use common sense.
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 7:21 AM   #10

What about the man's picture on the Instant Coffee maker jar cant remeber the name , i think Tasters Choice.He sued and won for the use of his pic from 15-20 years ago.
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote