Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 5, 2005, 6:29 PM   #1

well for the 4th of july I went with my girlfriend and her family to Bayside here in Miami, it was my first time experiencing fireworks of this magnitude and I have to say I was impressed. took over 110 pictures, and since i dont like to keep many, i combined two or three into one picture to make the following, which are my 5 favorite combinations of the fireworks pictures i took. settings were ISO80, F8, speeds from 1.3" to 2" on a tripod with my FZ20. hope you like them:arrow:

EDIT: updated pictures at the bottom:arrow:

Max_Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2005, 10:06 PM   #2

Max, very nice series and I like what you did combining the various blasts, but on my monitor, I can see where you cut and pasted each blast. You may want to investigate another method of combining them, perhaps utilizing different layers in photoshop.
mtritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 10:12 PM   #3

really? oh crap, thanks for letting me know! i did that on my girlfriend's brother's LCD monitor and i couldnt notice anything...darn it
Old Jul 5, 2005, 10:17 PM   #4

Difference in monitors, I guess. I don't even have my brightness turned up all the way. If your ultimate goal is to print them, then that would be the test. Take them to be printed and see if you can see the cut-outs. If you can't, then I would leave them as-is.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 12:30 AM   #5

Nice Work. Yes, I can also see that. But might not of noticed if I hadn't known.

I like them a lot nonetheless!

Sean-
Sean S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2005, 10:15 AM   #6

ok guys, i tried to fix them. let me know if its better. i have my brightness at 100% and cant notice it now, and using the magic wand at sensitivity 1 takes the whole background, so i'm hoping this is better.

Old Jul 6, 2005, 7:18 PM   #7

Max, much better. What did you do to fix them?

The only exception is the last one. I can see what looks like smudge marks of orange around parts of the big blast and also to the right of the top right blast and the top of the bottom right blast. Looks like you were painting in orange with a soft brush.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 9:10 PM   #8

These fireworks photos are awesome. I haven't gotten the opportunity to shoot fireworks yet with my FZ20. Was there any digital editing besides blackening the sky?

I'm surprised a shutter speed of 2 seconds created such nice trails, I would've thought 2 seconds might be a tad too long.
Rhombuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2005, 10:55 PM   #9

mtritt all i did was adjust the levels. put up the black and put up the highlights. that kind of got it better. will try to improve the last one as soon as i have the time.

rhambuss, the only editing i did was adjusting the levels and resizing, however keep in mind these are several pictures put in one, with speeds ranging from 1.3" to 2":arrow:

i made a big collage and its ready to print as 8x10"