Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 7, 2005, 10:44 AM   #1

The reason I'm asking is that I somehow sprayed mesquito repellant on the my FZ20 and it has "fogged" my EVF to a point where it is hard to see through. I've tried cleaning it, but have had no luck. It is almost like it etched the glass.

I hate to think of doing without my camera for weeks in order to send it in for service, so I was wondering if anyone knows whether the lens on the EVF can be replaced easily (I know I'd have to order the part).

Someone suggested trying to clean it with contact lens cleaner. Someone else suggested baking soda diluted down to a milky paste. I may give these a try tonight. At this point, I don't think I can do any more harm.

Suggestions extremely welcome.

yrollam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2005, 11:24 AM   #2
TCB

I wouldn't risk it. Better off sending it in to Panasonic or your local dealer.
TCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2005, 11:29 AM   #3

I do not know if this helps but I had a eyecup I made on a FZ10 before I got one from an AE1 and when I went to remove the homemade eyecup the rear part of the EVF came off.

The EVF on the FZ20 seems to look the same only with a slightly smaller Glass.

I just pushed it back on and I do not remember using any glue (but maybe I did)

At any rate its still on there.

If one of the other Ideas do not work I would try a little car polish.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2005, 12:31 PM   #4

It may not beentirely bug spray, make sure it's in focus. I know it's obivous but I forgot about the adjustment dial once and spent a half hour trying to figure out what happened when I couldn't focus on anything.
rink_rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2005, 12:40 PM   #5

Is it possible that the spray somehow woprked it's way to the INSIDE, in which case it may dry out with a little time?
nancye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2005, 4:27 PM   #6

Yeah, it's been over a week and it still hasn't cleared up.

I'm pretty sure it was the bug spray. I found the following on the internet :

Do not apply DEET formulations on or near plastics, acetate,rayon, Spandex, synthetic fabrics (other than nylon), furniture finishes, leather, watch crystals, and painted or varnished surfaces. Plastic glass frames and goggles should be protected from DEET applications. Car finishes and interiors also may be damaged by DEET. It will not damage nylon, cotton, or wool fabrics.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Old Jul 7, 2005, 6:14 PM   #7

Not entirely related, but I stumbled across this earlier:

http://klaas-bloem.fotopic.net/p7161551.html

http://klaas-bloem.fotopic.net/p7161554.html
sprocket87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2005, 9:18 AM   #8

Just in case anyone is curious, I had great results cleaning my EVF with contact lens cleaner (Boston Gas Permeable).

I put some on a Q-tip and after about an hour of gently rubbing, the viewfinder is now as clear as the day I bought the camera.

One other thing. There is no need to try to remove the EVF. It does come off with some not-so-gentle persuation, but it really doesn't get you anywhere since the glass portion stays afixed to the camera. Plus you have to glue the thing back on.
Old Jul 9, 2005, 7:06 PM   #9

What about using Isopropyl (spl?) Alcohol? I use it to clean optics all the time and it is the only thing i will ever use. Do not get it on plastic. Use it on coated glass lenses almost daily. Is the EVF glass? never really looked.
Dassie is offline   Reply With Quote