Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 7, 2005, 1:54 PM   #1

Hey all! My name is Jesse and I just got the FZ20 yesterday. I'd done *tons* of research, and settled on it some time ago, but just now scraped the finances together. I had to sell my ultracompact Pentax Optio S5i, which was a great little camera. Unfortunately I had to make the sacrifice, but obviously the Pana destroys it in terms of quality and capability and I was ready to sacrifice portability for features.

I'd decided to take the plunge mainly because the small auto point-and-shoot Pentax was really starting to inhibit my creativity. I'm 19, and I picked up photography about 6 months ago with my Pentax. When I got the Pentax I didn't even intend to 'get into' photography, it was more for casual shooting with friends. I really took to it though, and I'm ready to move up. I'm still really new of course, but I feel like I've come a long way and I'd reached my limit with point-and-shoots.

The FZ20 offers an incredible lens, all the manual control I need, and outstanding quality in a reasonably small and low-priced package. I don't have the money or justification to go DSLR (my dad has a D70 which I love, but I couldn't warrant that for myself at the present). Of course, I don't need to preach the benefits of the FZ20 to all of you, you already know!

Anyway, I've had it for about a day and have only used it for about an hour, but I'm already thrilled with it. I can't wait to dig in and start getting the most out of it. I have a pretty good understanding of the technical side of photography, i.e. - aperture, shutter speed, ISO, DOF, etc, but I will still have to master controlling and manipulating these aspects with the Pana.

I don't have any pics from my FZ20 to share yet, but you can check out some of my older pics from my Pentax at my flickr page:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sprocket87

(the first few are cameraphone pics btw )

Sorry for the long introduction, but that's my story in brief. See you around!

Jesse

sprocket87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2005, 6:51 PM   #2

You picked a very good camera to start with. Creativity along with some PS skills will give you some excellent and satisfying results.

Learn what the camera can do first before going out and buying all the neat stuff you can add to this amazing camera.

Happy Shooting!
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2005, 7:27 PM   #3

Hola Jesse !!

Welcome dude!

Harj

:G
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2005, 9:39 PM   #4

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
You picked a very good camera to start with. Creativity along with some PS skills will give you some excellent and satisfying results.

Learn what the camera can do first before going out and buying all the neat stuff you can add to this amazing camera.

Happy Shooting!

Photoshop has been a hobby of mine since junior high, so I'm pretty comfortable in that regard. And re: buyin addons: Thanks for the words of warning. I feel comfortable enough to get the basics; i.e. - UV filter for protection, polarizer, etc. My future upgrades will probably include a DPS 9000 power pack. I love macro photography (my Pentax actually did an amazing job with this, as close as 2cm in super mode), so I may eventually look into a Nikon 6T, Elpro 2, or similar lens. But no, not until I've learned all the in's and out's.

Thanks for the welcome
sprocket87 is offline   Reply With Quote