Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 7, 2005, 9:32 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 115
Default

LoveLife wrote:
Quote:
1) You do not need 72>62mm adapter ring. The Phayee adapter is comprised of 2 parts; the adapter which has 62mm female threads, and the lens hood which mounts on the outside of the adapter allowing access to the 62mm threads without hood removal. The hood has 72mm female threads on the end.

2) The Adapter ring and all of Phayee hoods are too shallow. Most people toss the napkin ring and buy a 62mm Hama multi-lens collapsible rubber hood. Some people have used the ring and purchased a 72mm Hama hood. I know the first configuration works. If the second works without vignetting it is the best solution.

3) Remember access to the 62mm threads is available with the Phayee ring or Phayee ring w/ Hama hoods(s) installed.

4) Stacking is to put it simply is lazy. The UV does nothing except protect the lens at most elevations below 3000 feet. The polarizer when on is providing the same service with the polarization options. I have tested this with my own adapter design and you will get a slight vignette at 1X setting with stacking.

5) The UV need not be expensive, but must have at least two coats. The Hoya standard with two coats, 94% transmission has one coat and threads on each side. This is all you need. The more expensive UVs produce better light transmission but you will never see a .2 F-stop improvement. It is mostly hype for better profits. Unless you can get the HMC 97% transmission delivered for under $25.00, it is a waste of money. Beware of counterfeits shipping out of China.


You did not mention polarizers. All the FZ requires is a linear polarizer; they are less money and perform better then the more expensive circular models. See luck is on your side.

Wow, thanks for all the input LoveLife! 1 at a time:

1) When I said "72>62mm adapter ring", I meant the Phayee itself. It is a 72>62mm adapter ring. So the 72mm male to 62mm female threads. Then the included Phayee 62mm spacer (for thread gap). Now when you say "lens hood" in reference to the Phayee, do you mean the 2nd adapter piece - the 62mm female to 72mm female ring? I know this is not technically a lens hood per se, but the Phayee ad and other posts reference it as being usable as such. I just want to make sure this is the "hood" you're referring to here, and not the optional 62mm 'tulip' hood Phayee sells.

2) I understand this point. So should I simply get a 62mm lens hood for the main adapter ring and skip the second 72mm ring described above (unless I want to risk vignetting with a 72mm hood).

3) How are the 62mm male threads still available? If the lens hood screws onto those threads, they would be inacessible - unless the Hama lens hood you speak of has an additional set of 62mm male threads? Or do they become female 62mm threads?

4) Okay, I follow here. I guess the only reason would be that since the polarizer is more expensive, I could put a UV in front of it, which I could replace more cheaply in case of an accident. However, if vignetting definately does occur at wide angle, then it is worth it to risk the polarizer (over the lens). I would still like both in case I don't want the polarizer on for some shots, that way I could still have protection.

5) Sounds good, thanks for the info.

(6) Polarizer: No, I didn't ask about polarizers because I've noticed a wealth of "more" organized input on that topic. But thanks for those tips, they help a lot.

So in summary I guess this is my plan currently:

Male 72mm FZ20 threads > Female 72mm Phayee threads > Male 62mm Phayee threads > Female 62mm Hama collapsable rubber hood > (Male or female?) hood threads > (male or female?) UV filter OR polarizer.

Am I still bungled? Thanks for your time, I really appreciate the help!

Jesse
sprocket87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2005, 9:33 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 115
Default

tuka108 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the very useful advice. I will return the kit. BTW, I can easily return the TCON-17. What would you suggest?

Where did you get your ELPRO2 and for how much? I've seen someone else's (fantastic) results with that lens, and was interested in more details.
sprocket87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2005, 9:33 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
LoveLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,288
Default

tuka108 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the very useful advice. I will return the kit. BTW, I can easily return the TCON-17. What would you suggest?
This gets into a different area. TCs with step rings do not perform as well as TCs without rings. The other part of the equalization is how deep are your pockets. The finest non-Panasonic lens on the FZ is the 62mm TCON14B but it is only 1.4X. In a 55mm mount there is not much else. The king of the 1.7X is the 58mm mount Sony VCL-HGD1758, very This gets into a different area. TCs with step rings do not perform as well as TCs without rings. The other part of the equalization is how deep are your pockets. The finest non-Panasonic lens on the FZ is the 62mm TCON14B but it is only 1.4X. In a 55mm mount there is not much else. The king of the 1.7X is the 58mm mount Sony VCL-HGD1758, very heavy and very expensive. If you get it, you should get the Pemaraal 58mm Pa58.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2005, 9:48 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
tuka108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5
Default

@Sprocket 87. I got the Elpro 2 used from B&H for $125. I was lucky to have seen before some one else snatched it :-)

@ Love Life: Thanks, I think I'll have a look at the Sony and the 14B.
tuka108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2005, 9:59 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 115
Default

In retrospect, I'm considering doing it this way: Phayee 62mm > 62mm UV filter > Phayee 72mm > 72mm lens hood/and or 72mm lens cap. Comments?

Would there any flaring or shadows from the added length?
sprocket87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2005, 10:12 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
pappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 827
Default

Actually the Phayee is the better choice or a similar outfit .The Phayee gets the filters very close to the leica lenstheNikon 6t close upfits very wellalso.Good choice in my opinion .
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2005, 10:12 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
LoveLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,288
Default

sprocket87 wrote:
Quote:
LoveLife wrote:
Quote:
1) You do not need 72>62mm adapter ring. The Phayee adapter is comprised of 2 parts; the adapter which has 62mm female threads, and the lens hood which mounts on the outside of the adapter allowing access to the 62mm threads without hood removal. The hood has 72mm female threads on the end.

2) The Adapter ring and all of Phayee hoods are too shallow. Most people toss the napkin ring and buy a 62mm Hama multi-lens collapsible rubber hood. Some people have used the ring and purchased a 72mm Hama hood. I know the first configuration works. If the second works without vignetting it is the best solution.

3) Remember access to the 62mm threads is available with the Phayee ring or Phayee ring w/ Hama hoods(s) installed.

4) Stacking is to put it simply is lazy. The UV does nothing except protect the lens at most elevations below 3000 feet. The polarizer when on is providing the same service with the polarization options. I have tested this with my own adapter design and you will get a slight vignette at 1X setting with stacking.

5) The UV need not be expensive, but must have at least two coats. The Hoya standard with two coats, 94% transmission has one coat and threads on each side. This is all you need. The more expensive UVs produce better light transmission but you will never see a .2 F-stop improvement. It is mostly hype for better profits. Unless you can get the HMC 97% transmission delivered for under $25.00, it is a waste of money. Beware of counterfeits shipping out of China.


You did not mention polarizers. All the FZ requires is a linear polarizer; they are less money and perform better then the more expensive circular models. See luck is on your side.

Wow, thanks for all the input LoveLife! 1 at a time:

1) When I said "72>62mm adapter ring", I meant the Phayee itself. It is a 72>62mm adapter ring. So the 72mm male to 62mm female threads. Then the included Phayee 62mm spacer (for thread gap). Now when you say "lens hood" in reference to the Phayee, do you mean the 2nd adapter piece - the 62mm female to 72mm female ring? I know this is not technically a lens hood per se, but the Phayee ad and other posts reference it as being usable as such. I just want to make sure this is the "hood" you're referring to here, and not the optional 62mm 'tulip' hood Phayee sells.

2) I understand this point. So should I simply get a 62mm lens hood for the main adapter ring and skip the second 72mm ring described above (unless I want to risk vignetting with a 72mm hood).

3) How are the 62mm male threads still available? If the lens hood screws onto those threads, they would be inacessible - unless the Hama lens hood you speak of has an additional set of 62mm male threads? Or do they become female 62mm threads?

4) Okay, I follow here. I guess the only reason would be that since the polarizer is more expensive, I could put a UV in front of it, which I could replace more cheaply in case of an accident. However, if vignetting definately does occur at wide angle, then it is worth it to risk the polarizer (over the lens). I would still like both in case I don't want the polarizer on for some shots, that way I could still have protection.

5) Sounds good, thanks for the info.

(6) Polarizer: No, I didn't ask about polarizers because I've noticed a wealth of "more" organized input on that topic. But thanks for those tips, they help a lot.

So in summary I guess this is my plan currently:

Male 72mm FZ20 threads > Female 72mm Phayee threads > Male 62mm Phayee threads > Female 62mm Hama collapsable rubber hood > (Male or female?) hood threads > (male or female?) UV filter OR polarizer.

Am I still bungled? Thanks for your time, I really appreciate the help!

Jesse
1) The Phayee comes with a 62>55 step-down ring. This is a separate issue. The base adapter that attaches to the camera has 62mm on the inside for filters and another set of threads on the outside, where the Phayee Hood mounts. The second piece cannot really be considered an adapter. You never want to mount accessories on the end of the second piece it is too far away from the Leica. The second piece is a shallow lens hood with 72mm threads on the end. Read above for more information. Any hood that is under 51mm in depth is a non functional. That is the depth of the Hama rubber hood at full extension.

2) Correct. I wish I could tell you that there is no problem with the Hama 72mm hood plus Phayee but I do not know.

3) Do not feel frustrated everybody gets this wrong. The base adapter has two sets of threads on the accessory end. 62mm female on the inside and ??mm on the outside, which the Phayee hood attaches. With the hood installed you can change filters snap on a 62mm lens cap with out hood removal. The Phayee hood on the other end has 72mm female threads. Which could only be used for another 72mm Hama hood or 72mm lens cap? If you do not use the Phayee hood you are dealing with the traditional 62mm female adapter > 62mm male filter > and 62mm Hama.

4) Male 67mm FZ20 threads >67mm female thread adapter with 62mm female and ??mm male threads on the outside. > Options: 62mm filter 62mm cap >Phayee hood with ??mm female threads connected to the outside of the adapter and 72mm female threads on the other end> A 72mm Hama hood for added protection. Alternatively, a 62mm filter and hood connected to the female 62mm threads of the adapter.


I do not know why I bother since I am introducing my own adapter in one week.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2005, 10:25 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
LoveLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,288
Default

sprocket87 wrote:
Quote:
In retrospect, I'm considering doing it this way: Phayee 62mm > 62mm UV filter > Phayee 72mm > 72mm lens hood/and or 72mm lens cap. Comments?

Would there any flaring or shadows from the added length?
Are you describing Phayee adapter 62mm filter inside, outsideconnect Phayee hood, 72mm Hama hood and 72mm cap connected to the Hama.
Your configuration is correct. I do not know if there isvignetting at 1X, but if there is none remember the Hama is a 3-position hood, that is the best solution
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2005, 10:30 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
LoveLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,288
Default

pappy wrote:
Quote:
Actually the Phayee is the better choice or a similar outfit .The Phayee gets the filters very close to the leica lenstheNikon 6t close upfits very wellalso.Good choice in my opinion .
Phayee is good. Pemaraal is good Yosheda is good but the best 62mm adapter is my own design. I get 62mm 55mm and 52mm very close and do not use step rings.
.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2005, 10:33 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
LoveLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,288
Default

tuka108 wrote:
Quote:
@Sprocket 87. I got the Elpro 2 used from B&H for $125. I was lucky to have seen before some one else snatched it :-)

@ Love Life: Thanks, I think I'll have a look at the Sony and the 14B.
This link will show most of the TCs on the FZ10http://lovelife.smugmug.com/gallery/543892
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:15 PM.