Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 7, 2005, 2:18 PM   #1

I know there are a lot of questions about lens filters, adapters, and polarizers. I found some links using the search tool but its pretty cryptic. Looking for some opinions on a couple things I found on ebay/the web. Oh, and this is for my FZ20:

1) Raynox Filter kit. PLP-P20 adapter ring, 52mm coater lens protector, 52mm circular polarizing filter, lens cap. I've been to the Raynox site, it looks good. Is this a good adapter? Does it suffer the same as the OEM adapter ring with the flash shadow problem? Any better alternatives?

2) LCD Protector. This is actually pretty cool - a hard plastic cover for the LCD screen. You can see one for sale at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...43682&rd=1

Any thoughts on these? Thanks!

Jesse
sprocket87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2005, 2:23 PM   #2

Oh, some more searching yielded this informative page:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23

That's a good start...
Old Jul 7, 2005, 4:37 PM   #3

The PLP20 is a budget kit with a multi-coated non-UV filter, a CPL an ugly adapter tube and filter cap. It does the job but you need to consider one thing. Adding non 52mm TCs will require a step-up ring, which reduces the quality of the image. There are many decent 52mm mount Raynox TCs that fit without a ring. BTW, you will also have to buy a Hama multi-lens rubber collapsible lens hood.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2005, 6:06 PM   #4

Okay, thanks for the reply. After bunches of more research, I *think* I know what I want to do (more or less). Here's my plan:

Phayee adapter kit (72>62mm adapter ring) > 62mm UV filter > ???

??? = should I use the second 72mm adapter ring Phayee includes as my lens hood? Or should I attach a collapsable rubber one directly? Basically, should I get a 62mm collapsable rubber hood and attach it directly to the 62mm UV filter, or get a 72mm lens hood and attach it to the Phayee 72mm 2nd adapter?

Also, I'll probably end up getting a polarizer. Can I just stack that on the UV filter directly, before the lens hood?

And what UV filter is recommended? I know they are as cheap as $4, as much as $20+. I've heard good things about Hoya UMC Pro (or something like that), but is it necessary? I just want something to guard my lens without affecting image quality.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 7:52 PM   #5

sprocket87 wrote:
Quote:
Okay, thanks for the reply. After bunches of more research, I *think* I know what I want to do (more or less). Here's my plan:

Phayee adapter kit (72>62mm adapter ring) > 62mm UV filter > ???

??? = should I use the second 72mm adapter ring Phayee includes as my lens hood? Or should I attach a collapsable rubber one directly? Basically, should I get a 62mm collapsable rubber hood and attach it directly to the 62mm UV filter, or get a 72mm lens hood and attach it to the Phayee 72mm 2nd adapter?

Also, I'll probably end up getting a polarizer. Can I just stack that on the UV filter directly, before the lens hood?

And what UV filter is recommended? I know they are as cheap as $4, as much as $20+. I've heard good things about Hoya UMC Pro (or something like that), but is it necessary? I just want something to guard my lens without affecting image quality.
1) You do not need 72>62mm adapter ring. The Phayee adapter is comprised of 2 parts; the adapter which has 62mm female threads, and the lens hood which mounts on the outside of the adapter allowing access to the 62mm threads without hood removal. The hood has 72mm female threads on the end.

2) The Adapter ring and all of Phayee hoods are too shallow. Most people toss the napkin ring and buy a 62mm Hama multi-lens collapsible rubber hood. Some people have used the ring and purchased a 72mm Hama hood. I know the first configuration works. If the second works without vignetting it is the best solution.

3) Remember access to the 62mm threads is available with the Phayee ring or Phayee ring w/ Hama hoods(s) installed.

4) Stacking is to put it simply is lazy. The UV does nothing except protect the lens at most elevations below 3000 feet. The polarizer when on is providing the same service with the polarization options. I have tested this with my own adapter design and you will get a slight vignette at 1X setting with stacking.

5) The UV need not be expensive, but must have at least two coats. The Hoya standard with two coats, 94% transmission has one coat and threads on each side. This is all you need. The more expensive UVs produce better light transmission but you will never see a .2 F-stop improvement. It is mostly hype for better profits. Unless you can get the HMC 97% transmission delivered for under $25.00, it is a waste of money. Beware of counterfeits shipping out of China.

You did not mention polarizers. All the FZ requires is a linear polarizer; they are less money and perform better then the more expensive circular models. See luck is on your side.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 8:52 PM   #6

Hi all, this is my first post and I have a follow-up question on this topic. I own a FZ 20 with a Pemeraal 55 mm adapter and have just purchased the Tiffen TIDEK55 55mm Deluxe Enhancing Kit. I have looked on the Tiffen site but haven't seen any mention as whether these filters are coated. I would also welcome your comments on this combination. I have also ordered the Elpro 2 and TCON 17, both of which require a 55mm adapter. All suggestions are very welcome.
tuka108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2005, 9:05 PM   #7

tuka108 wrote:
Quote:
Hi all, this is my first post and I have a follow-up question on this topic. I own a FZ 20 with a Pemeraal 55 mm adapter and have just purchased the Tiffen TIDEK55 55mm Deluxe Enhancing Kit. I have looked on the Tiffen site but haven't seen any mention as whether these filters are coated. I would also welcome your comments on this combination. I have also ordered the Elpro 2 and TCON 17, both of which require a 55mm adapter. All suggestions are very welcome.
I am very sorry to hear of your unnecessary expenditure.

The FZ does not need a circular polarizer. It can use a linear $26.00 on eBay

The FZ and no camera has need for an expensive UV they are just about 99% hype. A standard Hoya $17.00 on eBay, with one coating in each side transmits 94% of light. More expense UVs transmits 97-99% light, which at best is F.2, and you will never see it. The warming filter is not needed because the camera has internal setting that can do the same.
You needed to spend only $43.00 including shipping instead of $82.00. Try to get your money back. The Elpro II is great, the Tcon17 is good.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 9:06 PM   #8

tuka108 wrote:
Quote:

The FZ and no camera has need for an expensive UV they are just about 99% hype. A standard Hoya $17.00 on eBay, with one coating in each side transmits 94% of light. More expense UVs transmits 97-99% light, which at best is F.2, and you will never see it. The warming filter is not needed because the camera has internal setting that can do the same.
You needed to spend only $43.00 including shipping instead of $82.00. Try to get your money back. The Elpro II is great, the Tcon17 is good.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 9:07 PM   #9

tuka108 wrote:
Quote:

Old Jul 7, 2005, 9:15 PM   #10

Thanks for the very useful advice. I will return the kit. BTW, I can easily return the TCON-17. What would you suggest?
tuka108 is offline   Reply With Quote