Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 7, 2005, 4:28 PM   #1

Today has been some day here in London. What amazed me most was the unwavering spirit of Londoners to not let this affect our lives or stop us living our lives. So instead of staying at home people went to work. Some walked for hours as there was no transport etc.
People seem calm but quiet showing that they will not give in to terror.
I have heard about the Blitz spirit and I guess today we saw something akin to it. Of course there was fear (I live about ten minutes walk away from the bus which got bombed) but the overall impression I got that Londoners will not give in to anything and will continue living as normal.
Inspired by this I made a little picture based on a shot I had taken from Trafalgar Square some time back.
This picture is not meant ot be nationalistic or war like but just to demonstrate the remarkable spirit of londoners which I saw displayed everywhere.
I resosted temptation to rush out wiht my Pana to take shots of the bus site...it would not have been a good thing to do as it might have affected police and rescue work.

Attached Images

jussiuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2005, 6:08 PM   #2

Glad you are safe Jus, well said you conveyed the situation well, HArj is a londoner too, hoping he is safe.

John

ps great work on the image.

boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2005, 6:12 PM   #3

I'll second that. Its been another weird one. when i first heard about it on the radio (i dont actually live in london btw) this morning, obviously a little shocking, but took a while to sink in, and didnt really hit me untill tonight when i saw it all over the news channels. but like you say, we must applaud EVERYones efforts in dealing with this in the way they have.
Lets hope tomorrow is a little brighter.
spidamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2005, 6:19 PM   #4

Hi all !

I just got back from work - what a detour I wasn't able to head back home from work but to a friends house further west of town!

I was in madrid on 11th March 2004 when the bombing happened there and the atmosphere in London today is very much the same. The people in Madrid that day were marvellous. I've never posted these pitcs before of that day but i'm posting them now for you all - I didnt have my FZ with me today at work and it would have been impossible to head straight back into downtown.

Pict 1. Atocha train station 12th March 2004, Madrid. (apologies for the picts - very low res and taken when i was really clueless)
Attached Images

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2005, 6:19 PM   #5

I wish all Londoners the best of luck in these hard days to come. I hope and pray that someday in the near future, we might see a world where terrorism will only be a story told by mothers to their kids to scare them, not a reality. When will we ever learn that we have all the things to make up happy right here, right now...why do we have to kill each other as a means of getting something else?

what is this world coming to? the more civilized we get, the more we step back into savagery.

seth (my prayers are with the victims)
indiawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2005, 6:21 PM   #6

pict 2. Downtown Madrid, Gran Via, 12pm March 2004. All of Madrid comes out on to the street to appauld the emergency services.
Attached Images

Old Jul 7, 2005, 6:22 PM   #7

pict 3. Gran Via, central Madrid grinds to a halt.
Attached Images

Old Jul 7, 2005, 6:24 PM   #8

pict 4. Grid lock 2 - the police and firebigrade just headed to Atocha station.
Attached Images

Old Jul 7, 2005, 6:25 PM   #9

Pict5 - The People of Madrid pay respect to those that died.
Attached Images

Old Jul 7, 2005, 6:28 PM   #10

Pict 6. The Peurto De Sol, Madrid 11th March 2004. Flowers and candels
Attached Images