Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 8, 2005, 4:31 PM   #1

check my post here
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=14175374

ltcdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 8, 2005, 4:53 PM   #2

Holy CRAP he's right!! His link in the other thread to the Panasonic Argentina site shows the camera with a clear FZ30 badge in the top left corner:

http://www.panasonic.com.ar/Webpubli...05/default.asp

Wow! Awesome find! I hope this won't make me regret my FZ20 purchase! (I just have to keep telling myself that it will cost waaay more since it's so new.... Right? )
sprocket87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2005, 5:04 PM   #3

well... not really here but it certainly is a surprise to see panasonic advertise its new camera in a newspaper...

Judjing from the pictures it resembles the bodies of the other fz's and I must admit that i'm curious of whatthat jog-dial does right over your index finger, looks cumbersome tough. I'm curious if that's a flip-and-twist LCD, I can't really see it but from the pictures it looks like the same LCD with no hinges.

It will be interesting to see when Panasonic releases its specs, because I'm not a fan of the so-called 'prosumer' cameras, i.e. 8Mp in the same (tiny) sensor and the same price of an SLR. It might just be an 'upgrade' of the fz20 at roughly the same price (better IMO). We'll see...

Cheerz and thanks for the link!
photon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2005, 5:42 PM   #4

Hola Itcdata!

Thanks for posting the link about time we had some news! I like the design, esp the bigger hand grip not too sire about the top reminds me of the Canon S2. The EVF is in the right spot - directly inline with the lens, a slightly slower lens f2.8-3.7 but that doesnt bother me too much, esp if it has a bigger sensor and higher ISO.

Once again -thanks !!!!

Harj

:-):G

PS

Looks as if its got a moveable LCD and the lens possibly aperture or distance on it ?

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2005, 5:52 PM   #5

i talked with panasonic argentina by phone. They didn't want to tell me any specs, only that its going for september in my country.
ltcdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2005, 6:47 PM   #6

Also - I'd rather have a nice 6MP CCD with clean picts at ISO400/800 and do reasonable ISO1600 instead of an 8MP sensor with lots of noise at ISO400.

Harj

:-)
Old Jul 8, 2005, 6:56 PM   #7

it looks like there's some sort of scale on the lens barrel, too... a focal distance scale, perhaps???
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2005, 7:01 PM   #8

ltcdata wrote:
Quote:
i talked with panasonic argentina by phone. They didn't want to tell me any specs, only that its going for september in my country.
I am praying for a one-position barrel not like the FZ5 which moves 2.5mm in stages. Less noise then the FZ10 and no built-in noise adjustment. Just a tad more MP say 6. A much better zoom control. and the eye piece in the center where it belongs. A clean ISO 80,100 and 400, with a little noise in 800.

I think it is still a 12X zoom FZ20 72/6; FZ30 88.8/7.4. I am guessing a new CCD.

If they do this they are the new KING OF PROSUMER

LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2005, 7:40 PM   #9

I just checked the panasonic argentine webiste - the FZ30 is on the front page like a little teaser but no specifics at all.

I agree with Lovelife - if the cam has a brand new 1.8 or 2/3 6MP CCD with clean high ISO then it'll be the King of prosumer.

I'm kind of hoping that we have an aperture ring plus the manual focus.

Harj

Old Jul 8, 2005, 8:26 PM   #10

i'm with lovelife on this one... a bigger CCD would be nice, from the noise standpoint, but only if they don't try to cram 8 or 10MP onto it. 6MP would be plenty, but clean ISO 400 would be wonderful, as would some indication of focal distance on the lense, a la the old 35mm lenses. and a better resolution EVF that gains up in low light and doesn't 'freeze' when you snap shots, especially in panning. if we're really wishing, how 'bout an optical viewfinder, with the exposure and settings superimposed like on an aircraft HUD? now THAT i would pay for!!!
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote