Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 9, 2005, 12:45 PM   #1

I read the following online description about the Panasonic FZ5:

"This 12x optical zoom lens is super-bright too, at F2.8 to 3.3 with a focal length of 6 to 72 mm (equivalent to 36 mm to 432 mm in a 35 mm film camera). You've got all the power and flexibility you need to take beautiful shots from telephoto to wide angle and macro. The FZ5 also has a 4x digital zoom. Use it together with the 12x optical zoom and you've got ultra-powerful 48x zooming - roughly equivalent to a huge 1680 mm lens on a 35 mm camera."

Please not the underlined/italicized sentence. My question for any FZ5 users is this: Is the above description about taking "beautiful shots from telephoto to wide angle and macro," accurate? What is the range exactly for wide angle on the FZ5?

If the above statement is true, then I do not need the Olympus C-7070 I just bought! If I could get 12x + wide angle + macro in the FZ5, I can send the 7070 back and buy the FZ5. Right? :?

Thanks.

Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2005, 1:24 PM   #2

Quote:
My question for any FZ5 users is this: Is the above description about taking "beautiful shots from telephoto to wide angle and macro," accurate? What is the range exactly for wide angle on the FZ5?
The fz5's range is 36mm to 432mm. I don't consider 36mm wide angel. I have a dcr6600 .66x that gets it to 24mm and that's good enough for me. The fz5 does decent macro but you have to get so close that camera shadow becomes a problem. So a close-up lens is very useful. I use anoly b-mcaro for that - working distance about 12". And, although 432mm is quite acceptable for tele, it's nice to go a little further. For that I use a Ricoh tc200m 1.5x and that gets it out to almost 650mm.

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote