Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 10, 2005, 8:31 PM   #1

How can one shoot fast moving targets...with cars I understand panning works but how do you do it with subjects which you can not see when they are coming and how fast???
I tried to take pics of some skateboarders today and of one breakdancers and all suffered from not being able to focus on the subject...istead only the background is in focus.........
I quite like to blurry ones too but that is not what I was after.

Pic 1

Attached Images

jussiuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 10, 2005, 8:31 PM   #2

pic 2

Attached Images

Old Jul 10, 2005, 8:32 PM   #3

pic 3

Attached Images

Old Jul 10, 2005, 8:33 PM   #4

pic 4

Attached Images

Old Jul 10, 2005, 10:08 PM   #5

best bet, as far as i've been able to tell, is to focus a bit in front of where the subject will be when you want to snap the picture. use manual focus and exposure modes, and set the shutter for 1/500 or faster if you can. try to keep the aperture at f4 or smaller, to give you some DOF. then, when the subject reaches the spot where you want the pic, press the shutter. if there is enough light, you'll freeze the motion, and the camera's "natural" DOF will keep the subject in focus. if you want to know what the DOF is for the FZ20 at any given f-stop and distance, check out this site... you can enter the lens focal length (actual, not 355mm equivalent), then select the FZ20 from the drop-down menu. press start, and it will calculate the DOF for you...

http://www.dofmaster.com/doftable.html
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2005, 12:56 AM   #6

jussiuk wrote:
Quote:
How can one shoot fast moving targets...with cars I understand panning works but how do you do it with subjects which you can not see when they are coming and how fast???
I tried to take pics of some skateboarders today and of one breakdancers and all suffered from not being able to focus on the subject...istead only the background is in focus.........
I quite like to blurry ones too but that is not what I was after.

Pic 1

This is a problem for most cameras in automatic mode. The camera is capable of doing this but you must take control. Although it is a bit much in #1 some figure blur can add another dimension to the picture but this is subjective. To stop this action you will have to go into manual mode. You will not be able to use the auto focus and P mode. Set the camera in manual mode and select shutter priority around 1/500. Next you will have to boost the ISO to either 100 or 200. This will allow you to shoot with some depth of field. When focusing for action shots you have to preplan the point of capture. Set the focus switch on the side of the camera to manual and focus. Point the camera at the boxes in the first few pictures and flick the switch down and let go. You have now set the focus and the speed now the camera need only set the F-stop at the time of capture. BTW, Not knowing much about the sport I noticed the back of these fellows is towards the camera. I suggest you find another position for shooting. Catching the expression on their faces can add to the drama, and try shooting at an up angle. The only thing I see wrong with the last picture is you should have zoomed more.

HTH
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2005, 8:56 AM   #7

jussiuk wrote:
Quote:
How can one shoot fast moving targets...
You are confusing focus blur with motion blur. Focus of your pics is OK, there is motion blur from using too slow a shutter speed. The action setting on the mode dial will help to correct that. Seeing the subject moving fast is another problem which is due to to lag in the scene being displayed on the EVF or LCD. The cure for that is to use an optical finder or reddot scope in the hot shoe or on a wrap around bracket. See http://tswill2.smugmug.com/gallery/291050/2for my setup. Tom
tswill2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2005, 11:35 AM   #8

Thanks for all replies. BTW I am using FZ5 not FZ20...
I could not take photos from the other side firstly because that is their area and I don't think they like someone getting in their way...secondly the sun was very bright and behind my back. If I was on the otherside under the roof bit I would have only captured silhouettes I think.
I'll go back soon though and try again!