Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 11, 2005, 9:54 PM   #1

Far too many to post here, checkout my albums at: www.fotki.com/jhrosier

Please do leave comments if you will.

(Comments are private &will be viewed only by myself.)

Enjoy, Jack
jhrosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2005, 11:01 PM   #2

Very nice photos. It's neat the mixture of older and newer cars. I'll take one of each of the cars.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2005, 11:25 PM   #3

Glad you like them. I looked at a new Ferrari, just for fun, it was $238,000.00.

This is one of my favoites.
Old Jul 14, 2005, 10:03 PM   #4

I'm getting many visitors, which is encouraging, but NO COMMENTS, which is frustrating.....

If the photos are that bad. I'd like to know.

TIA, Jack
Old Jul 14, 2005, 10:24 PM   #5

No - don't worry, they are incredible!! I can't WAIT to practice some panning shots with my FZ20 now! How many did you take in total to get those jewels??
sprocket87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 11:14 PM   #6

Sprocket, Thanks for your input.

There were 6 races from 9:30AM until 4:45PM. There was a 90 min lunch break so I deleted a few "duds" to make room on my card. FZ20 w/1Gig card holds about 400, 5MB jpg's. Finished the day with just about 400 photos & deleted about 50 more at home, later, due to late/early shots.

It was my first experience with action photography, I'd never panned to get moving cars before, more on this later. I found several other amateur photogs were friendly and quick to share techniques and pointers for good results and best locations to get shots, couldn't have gotten such good results without their help and advice. I don't remember if I thanked them, I certainly won't forget the next time.

I learned that the profile shots NEED motion blur to look right. Shots at high shutter speeds make the cars look like they're parked. Around 1/16 sec or very slightly faster is about right. Panasonic's OIS is a fantastic tool for getting good action shots. High shutter speeds are best for cars coming towards you from the corner and for some reason, the cars don't look like they're parked, especially if a number are bunched up in the corner.

Had an idea.... fastened a $9 airgun red-dot sight from Walley World to a home-made adapter to fit the hot shoe & adjusted it to point to the center of the viewfinder. Used the LCD just to check settings and preset zoom.

Easy to pan with the cars, justhold the red dot in the center of the car while panning. I shortened the camera neck strap so that I could brace the camera against my neck with my arms locked for stability and pan with my upper body. All shots were hand-held.

I learned that I need a minimum of about 1/6 of a frame on each end of the car to allow for aiming error/reaction time. This translated to 8-10x zoom at about 100 feet.

Post processed with PSP9. Most had minor tweak for saturation and minimal Unsharp Mask. Typical USM settings were Radius:0.9, Strength: 180-220, Clipping: 5-20. A small number were cropped to enhance subject or remove distactions in background.

Regards, Jack
Old Jul 14, 2005, 11:25 PM   #7

Jack,

GREAT info!! I will definately make use of this information when I attempt some panning action of my own! Several of those tips I wouldn't have thought of, others are simply ingenious. I really like your strategy of holding the camera against your neck and panning with your upper body!

Once again, excellent shots and excellent write-up! I look forward to your future endeavors

Jesse
sprocket87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 5:29 AM   #8

Nice pics.

You could have made some NR in the blurred backgrounds and some color adjustments (in ...778m reds look a little too purplish, owing to FZ20 shift in WB).

Some have too much Unsharpen Mask IMO (when viewed at full 5Mp).

Good panning although I recall I have seen better ones (cars are slightly soft) from other FZ20 and FZ10 users, months ago.

But I recall that they usedfaster shutter speeds than yours (up to 1/400) and smaller aperture (around F5,6), so they must have better light than yours (in ...610m I cansee that the sky is very overcast).
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 11:12 PM   #9

Narmer

Your points are well taken and appreciated.

778M is an odd one. The rest of the photo, except the red car, looks reasonably close to what it should be for color balance, unless you're seeing something that I don't see. Ihave several unpostedshots of that car and they're all a little bit off on the color balance. I'm wondering if there is something about the paint color on that particular car that somehow confused the WB? None of the other ~350 photos show the same problem to the same degree.

You are probably correct about the amount of USM that I used. My usual goal is to use just enough that it is not noticable when the photos are viewed critically. I got in too much of a rush and over compensated by about 30% on many of the shots. The wrong strength and clipping values in USM are causeing most of what appears to be ISO noise. If I slow down and apply USM with carefull attention to detail, the amount of noise is barely noticeable. I've also tried following USM with just a touch of "Edge Preserving Smooth" with excellent results in eliminating the last vestiges of noise.

The lighting varied by the minute, all day,from full sunlight to heavy overcast. I tried working in manual but eventually gave up and went back to program mode. I just don't have enough experience yet to keep track of that many details while capturing the action.

Your comments lead me to the conclusion that I would have been better off to present a half-dozen carefully processed shots than 3 dozen sloppy ones. I learn something new (or remember something that I should never have forgotten)almost every day.

Thanks for your help, Jack