Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 12, 2005, 1:40 PM   #1

Hello everyone i am currently facing a big dilema i wanted to buy the canon s2 is but diging through the internet i found that there are some problems with theprotectivelens cap and some other plastics involved in the body so i turned my attention on the panasonic dmc fz20 i realllly like the way it looks my only concern is just how movies shot with it look, i saw the one steve shot with the s2 is and it looks fantastic and if the movies on the fz20 look just as good then the s2 is is off may buying list.

So pleaseeee if anyone can help me by sending my an email with a movie shot with the fz20 at the highest quality possible at this emai: [email protected]i would be gratefull 4-8 second i enough.

Thanks.
parfene_liviu_2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2005, 2:43 PM   #2

if the FZ20 takes the same "film" quality as the FZ5.
...forget it! 320*nothing, no zoom ....
The photo quality is excellent and panasonic should be able to improve the film quality.
A simple firmware upgrade should be enough.
But panasonic does not work on the firmware of sold cameras.

So if you really need film on a photo camera buy something else.
But donĀ“t forget: you need an extended warranty with an "E18-canon", at least 5 years!!!

Just in case you need superb photos: stay with the fzxx!
....and this is a "reading" forum, if you need answers try a different place (dc,dp..).
seemolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 6:00 PM   #3

seemolf wrote:
Quote:
[snip]
Just in case you need superb photos: stay with the fzxx!
....and this is a "reading" forum, if you need answers try a different place (dc,dp..).
I'm really not sure what you mean by this but if I'm right in interpreting it as 'there is noone here at Steve's who can answer your questions so you should ask them on a different forum' I disagree completely.
beernutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 7:27 PM   #4

I'll try to send you a few FZ20 videos from Canada a few weeks ago. I think the FZ20 takes great video's, but that's just my personal opinion. Let me know if they work out.
ride16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 8:47 PM   #5

If video is one of your main concerns, I would go with the s2. You can't use the zoom in video mode with the current fz series. The s2 has stereo sound and the capabilityto take a still while in movie mode. The resolution is also higher on the s2.The s2 is far superior toany fz for video.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2005, 8:09 AM   #6

Thanks guys but what`s this with te warranty for canon do they have some sort of issues with their reliability or what?? do they tend to break down or what cause that is a big concern for me if i am going to pay around 650$(and 850$ for the fz20 ,cause that`s how much the s2 is is in my country i want to be use it for at least 4 years)

i would stiil like to see a movie shot with the fz20 if anyone can help.
Old Jul 13, 2005, 9:01 AM   #7

maybe I had bad luck, but...
My A70 had two final E18 errors.
Allmost all powershot cameras can have this failure.
It looks to me as if the retraction motors have some problems.
Simply search for E18 in a canon forum.
Extend your warranty or simply hope that your canon does not get this failure.

seemolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2005, 10:46 AM   #8

I do not use a still camera to take videos, just the same as I do not use a video camera to take photos.

But I went out in the yard and shot a short movie that I think you can download from this page.

Its At the bottom of the page and it is better if you can download it than to view on the site.

Let me know when you get it so I can remove it from the site.

Wouldn't you know I forgot the link

http://imageevent.com/grc6/toshareonnet/forposting
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2005, 12:09 PM   #9

i am sorry Genece but can you please send me the video at this adress: [email protected]cause i can`t realy see where the movie is supposed to be. Thanks.

Well for me it`s much complicated i can`t afford to buy a camera and camcorder so i have to choose a good camera instead.Thanks
Old Jul 14, 2005, 3:45 AM   #10

Thanks very much Genece for sending me the movie ,well it`s resonable compared to the s2 is but after i check out te E18 error of Canon cameras i decided that i will not buy a brand that has that many defective cameras no matter in what price range they are,so i am curently considering the fz20,hope i don`t find any problems wit panasonic cameras, it`s so hard to find a reliable camera this days