Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 12, 2005, 2:00 PM   #1

Hi all

Ive been travelling with an fz10 and am now familiar with most of it but i want to take my photos to the next level. Ive read some posts but need some very basic advice. Should i buy telephoto/wide angle and other lenses? If so which ones are best and where can i get them in the UK for a good price please?

Also can i record movies in anything other than .mov format?

Thanks and take care

Rich
Daikomyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2005, 2:19 PM   #2

Re: lens upgrades:

IMO, unless you are really pushing the limits of the current lens, buying an expensive upgrade isn't really necessary. Ultra wide or tele lenses don't really enhance your creativity any, or make your shots any better. The only reason I would go to one is if you find yourself restricted by your current lens. By this I mean: If you find yourself wishing you had more telephoto range pretty frequently, or if you wish you could capture a wider scene, and you feel that not having that capability is making your shots suffer, then yes, go for it. But no amount of hardware will replace good old fashioned composition and creativity.

I don't mean that to dissuade you or assault your skills - I haven't seen any of your shots or anything. I just meant it as a general opinion, that additional hardware doesn't necessarily bring you 'to the next level', unless, that is, you are completely familiarized and comfortable with your current hardware, and it's lacking some features you really need.

Of course I think there are exceptions... A good macro lens would be a nice add-on I think, simply because the standard macro capabilities do leave some to be desired on the FZ- series (IMO). They do a fine job, especially considering the overall versatility of the lens, but you can't really get all *that* close.

Just my .02

Jesse
sprocket87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 2:19 PM   #3

(double post, ignore )
Old Jul 12, 2005, 4:32 PM   #4

Cheers Jesse

So what macro lens would you suggest? I need a telephot too I think as I do alot of nature photgraphy- incidentally I started with vultures in Ohio when I was staying for a month in Cleveland.

What's your weather like now? It was unbearably hot when I was there especially as the training I was doing was intensely physical. Got some nice shots of the Amish life too- at least to my basic level of experience.

take care

Rich
Old Jul 12, 2005, 4:49 PM   #5

PS How do I deal with condensation in high humidity as the Amazon climate messed up a few shots?

Cheers
Old Jul 12, 2005, 4:51 PM   #6

Haha, our weather changes weekly. The saying about Ohio is, "If you don't like the weather... Stick around, it will change!" Unfortunately, the general rule is that it stays rather humid. We've had a couple really hot and humid sticky weeks in the past couple months, but we've had a couple really nice ones too. I expect it to get worse over the next couple of months, sadly...

And I live more toward Southwest Ohio, so I've never encountered any Amish; I think they stick up north/northeast, but I'm not too sure :G

Re: macro lens - I'm no expert, but lots of people on this and other FZxx forums use the Nikon 6T with great success. It's not really all that expensive (I think it runs around $50 online, depending on the retailer), and it produces fantastic close-ups. There are other options too, from cheaper "stackable" lenses (+1, +2, +4 kits you can get onebay or camera accessory sites), to very nice lenses like the Elpro 2 ($125-150 IIRC).

I recommend using the search feature on this forum, as well as dpreview.com and dcresource.com's Panasonic forums.

And I can understand your need for a tele upgrade if you are pretty into nature photography - it makes a world of difference, I know.

Jesse
Old Jul 12, 2005, 8:24 PM   #7

Welcome!

After much research, these are the lenses I have purchased and am very pleased with the choices I've made, they all have 62mm threads an can be screwed on directly to a Phayee adapter or Pemaraal 62mm adapter;

Close up lens = Nikon 6T Under $50.00 US dollars

Telecinverter = Olympus TCON 14B - 1.45Xmagnification, about $150.00 US dollars

Wide angle = Olympus WCON 08B - takes you down to 28mm, about $130.00 US dollars

Hiroshi

P.S. Check out there two websites for tons of info:

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam...-10/index.html

http://www.users.bigpond.com/vkelim/DMCFZ10/

Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2005, 5:44 AM   #8

Thanks Hiroshi both for the welcome and the advice. I'll check those out.

Take care

Rich