Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 15, 2005, 11:05 PM   #11

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
nznhut wrote:
Quote:
My line of thinking was close to what Genece contributed - I have a 77mm rubber lens hood I got for $10, and will use that instead of a 77mm filter without the glas. I think I am going to try the TCON-17 and the TL-55, and see how it works. Thanks for the support and suggestions from all.
I'll be interested to see how the 77mm rubber lens hood idea works. Is the rubber stiff enough to hold the weight of another tcon? The tl55 isn't that heavy so that might be okay. Putting the much heavier 14b on ther might bend the rubber. Where did you get the $10 lens hood?

I probably should have explained it better - I got the Rubber hood from Camera Filters.com (I thought it was $10, it was actually $12 when I looked at the order later!). I then removed the rubber part, which fits into the 77mm ring in a kind of tongue and groove thing. I then used the ring just like you would a filter with the glass removed. It works just as Genece said - the ring fits nice and snug into the TCON-17 (I added just a couple of touches of silicone sealant to keep it there). I have on order a 77-67 step down ring, and a 67-55 step down ring, and when I get my TL-55, it should fit right in (in theory!)

If you're careful, and have kept the "groove" on the rubber part, you can put it back in. Now that I'm thinking about it, I may have not had to remove it at all. Anyway, it should be solid, because the rings will hold the TL-55. I should be able to unscrew the TL-55 and use it or the TCON-17 on their own, if needed. I will post a picture when the monster is created.
nznhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 12:18 AM   #12

Genece, thanks for the information. I was afraid to place the TCON-14b out front because of the weight and fear of falling. I got a rubber hood off Ebay like the one mentioned by nznhut and it does fit nicley on the TCON-17. When I am just using my 14b I have stepdown rings to use the hood on it. I have not noticed any real loss of light by doing this.
I have not had a lot of time for testing the 17 & 14b stacked so the jury is still out on the benefits of that.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 10:16 AM   #13

nznhut wrote:
Quote:
I have on order a 77-67 step down ring, and a 67-55 step down ring, and when I get my TL-55, it should fit right in (in theory!)

If you're careful, and have kept the "groove" on the rubber part, you can put it back in. Now that I'm thinking about it, I may have not had to remove it at all. Anyway, it should be solid, because the rings will hold the TL-55. I should be able to unscrew the TL-55 and use it or the TCON-17 on their own, if needed. I will post a picture when the monster is created.
Do we have an update on this?

From http://www.camerafilters.com

Collapsible lens hood 77mm $8
77mm-72mm step down ring 9
72mm-55mm step down ring 9

sub-Total$26
Shipping4

Total$30

Iwould gowith the 77-72 and 72-55 so I can try the hood on the drc6600 which has 72mm front threads. Any reason to choose the 77-67 and 67-55?
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 5:22 PM   #14

Can i ask where you got your 77 mm rubber lens hood? I was told they dont make them.
WenchyJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 7:38 PM   #15

WenchyJen wrote:
Quote:
Can i ask where you got your 77 mm rubber lens hood? I was told they dont make them.

He gave you the link here is a slightly different link

http://www.camerafilters.com/pages/lenshoods.aspx

Pretty near the bottom of the page.

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2005, 12:41 PM   #16

Here is my end result, and some results. First, for fmoore, there was no particular reason why I used the reducing rings I did, other than these were the ones the site I used had in stock, and were on sale!

Here are the pictures, and the examples of how it works.

First, the ring and the hood attached to the TCON-17
Attached Images

Old Jul 30, 2005, 12:42 PM   #17

Next, how it looks from the other side. I did it this way so I would have a built-on hood if I used the TCON-17 on its own...
Attached Images

Old Jul 30, 2005, 12:43 PM   #18

Next, with the reducing rings in place...
Attached Images

Old Jul 30, 2005, 12:44 PM   #19

Finally, with the Canon TL-55 attached....
Attached Images

Old Jul 30, 2005, 12:44 PM   #20

Now, first shot is with no zoom...
Attached Images