Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 30, 2005, 12:45 PM   #21

Next, with the Pana at 12x zoom.....(pictures have been greatly lessened in size/quality, but you will catch the drift)...
Attached Images

nznhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2005, 12:46 PM   #22

Now, with Canon TL-55 alone at 12x....
Attached Images

Old Jul 30, 2005, 12:47 PM   #23

Now, with TCON-17 alone, Pana at 12x...
Attached Images

Old Jul 30, 2005, 12:48 PM   #24

Finally, with the stacked TCON-17 and Canon TL-55 Combo...
Attached Images

Old Jul 30, 2005, 12:50 PM   #25

Final thoughts - at full quality, it appears that the Canon gives me clearer, sharper images than the Olympus. It would be that two TL-55's may even be a better combination for picture quality, but overall, I am happy with the result, and have had lots of fun doing it - let the teleconverting begin!
Old Jul 30, 2005, 1:33 PM   #26

nznhut wrote:
Quote:
I then removed the rubber part, which fits into the 77mm ring in a kind of tongue and groove thing. I then used the ring just like you would a filter with the glass removed. It works just as Genece said - the ring fits nice and snug into the TCON-17
Thanks for the very informative demo. Looks like the tcon17 and tl55 combo is pretty effective. I take it you opted to keep the rubber hood part on the tcon17 permanently.

Is the followingcorrect? The hood ring has 77mm male threads on the outside that pressure fit into the front of the tcon17. Some glue might be needed there to make a more secure fit (and whichwillpermanently fix the ring to the front of the tcon17). The hood ring also has 77mm female threads that receive the 77-67mm stepdown ring. So, as I picture it, the hood ring is tapered with a 77mm outside diameter (threaded) at the camera end and a 77mm inside diameter (threaded) at the filter end.

If this is true, wouldn't it be easier and more direct to just secure the 77-67mm step down ring to the front of the tcon17 and proceed from there? What is the need for the hood ring other than allowing for the hood?
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2005, 3:04 PM   #27

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
nznhut wrote:
Quote:
I then removed the rubber part, which fits into the 77mm ring in a kind of tongue and groove thing. I then used the ring just like you would a filter with the glass removed. It works just as Genece said - the ring fits nice and snug into the TCON-17
Thanks for the very informative demo. Looks like the tcon17 and tl55 combo is pretty effective. I take it you opted to keep the rubber hood part on the tcon17 permanently.

Is the followingcorrect? The hood ring has 77mm male threads on the outside that pressure fit into the front of the tcon17. Some glue might be needed there to make a more secure fit (and whichwillpermanently fix the ring to the front of the tcon17). The hood ring also has 77mm female threads that receive the 77-67mm stepdown ring. So, as I picture it, the hood ring is tapered with a 77mm outside diameter (threaded) at the camera end and a 77mm inside diameter (threaded) at the filter end.

If this is true, wouldn't it be easier and more direct to just secure the 77-67mm step down ring to the front of the tcon17 and proceed from there? What is the need for the hood ring other than allowing for the hood?
You're right - it probably would have been easier and more direct. I just tend to make things up as I go along, then afterwards see where it could have been better. Good suggestion! I got the 77mm hood for another reason, and ended up using it this way.

As far as the glue, I actually used some strong silicon clear sealant, with the idea that if I ever did want to remove it, I could. The fit is snug enough that with the silicone, it feels very solid and secure. I made sure I used just a little, very judiciously, in case the silcone reacted with any glass coating on the TCON-17.
Old Jul 31, 2005, 9:36 AM   #28

Looking forward to the FZ30, What will happen to all the TCON's, WCON and closeupsI have, Will they fit and be useful?

STAN

WCON-08B, TCON 14B, WCON-08B, Closeup 1-2-3
stnkline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2005, 10:50 AM   #29

stnkline wrote:
Quote:
Looking forward to the FZ30, What will happen to all the TCON's, WCON and closeupsI have, Will they fit and be useful?

STAN

WCON-08B, TCON 14B, WCON-08B, Closeup 1-2-3
The fz30 has 55mm receiving threads on the lens housing so you may need some 55-?? step rings but other than that all your add-ons should work ok.

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2005, 1:34 PM   #30

I was thinking of 55mm to 62mm step up rings for the lenses I have. The TCON 17 has 55mm and the TCON-14B and the WCON-08B are62mm. If step-up rings work I will be able to use all my debris.

If the tripod hole is centered I may have to make a new set of adapters. I trust the external power supply DPS 9000 will work and if they have not changed the remote requirements my hand-made wireless and wired remotes will work, The wireless is extremely important to me.

Understand B&H may be first to get the FZ30 List is $699

STAN
stnkline is offline   Reply With Quote