Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 13, 2005, 12:24 PM   #1

Has anyone had any experience stacking, for instance, a TCON-17 and a Canon TL-55? I read somewhere where, with modification, it could be done, but cannot locate the information. It could have been the TCON-14B and the TL-55.

Can anyone help with any information? Thanks in advance!
nznhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 13, 2005, 1:17 PM   #2

It certainly can be (and has been)done and the tl55 and 14bis a good combination - 14b on the front since it has a greater diameter front glass. I've stacked a few different tcons on the oly c210 (1.9x) but the relative low quality of the c210 makes for a pretty poor image with that much glass.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2005, 3:40 PM   #3

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
It certainly can be (and has been)done and the tl55 and 14bis a good combination - 14b on the front since it has a greater diameter front glass. I've stacked a few different tcons on the oly c210 (1.9x) but the relative low quality of the c210 makes for a pretty poor image with that much glass.
Great! Any specific instructions/diagrams/schematics that you are aware of, or can provide? In other words, HOW? Thanks!
Old Jul 13, 2005, 4:30 PM   #4

nznhut wrote:
Great! Any specific instructions/diagrams/schematics that you are aware of, or can provide? In other words, HOW? Thanks!

Check out this website. Very informative on stacking:

http://www.pbase.com/10kzoomfz/tele_pd62_comparisons

Hiroshi
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2005, 4:46 PM   #5

See http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...262391#p262391
Old Jul 14, 2005, 9:35 AM   #6

While I do not have a TL55 I have stacked a few different lens with 2 14Bs being the best of what I have tried but for a little more power a 14B and a tcon17 work pretty good and 2 tcon 17s also work.

If you use the Tcon17 the front lens is 77mm so if you get a 77mm filter and remove the glass and press it into the end and then get a 77 to 72 step down ring and then a 72 to 62 stepdown ring. you can then add a 14B or if you go down to 55mm you can add the TL55 or another Tcon17.

You want to use a couple rings as you can reverse them and actually get the second lens closer to the first than is possible if you only had the one stepring.

That may not sound likely, but if you try it you will see how it works.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 11:01 PM   #7

My line of thinking was close to what Genece contributed - I have a 77mm rubber lens hood I got for $10, and will use that instead of a 77mm filter without the glas. I think I am going to try the TCON-17 and the TL-55, and see how it works. Thanks for the support and suggestions from all.
Old Jul 14, 2005, 11:22 PM   #8

Thanks for the tip. I have just been trying stacking a 14B and a 17 and did not think of reversing the step rings. I am stacking the 17 in front of the 14B because of the weight. Which do you do and is there a difference?
genece wrote:
Quote:
While I do not have a TL55 I have stacked a few different lens with 2 14Bs being the best of what I have tried but for a little more power a 14B and a tcon17 work pretty good and 2 tcon 17s also work.

If you use the Tcon17 the front lens is 77mm so if you get a 77mm filter and remove the glass and press it into the end and then get a 77 to 72 step down ring and then a 72 to 62 stepdown ring. you can then add a 14B or if you go down to 55mm you can add the TL55 or another Tcon17.

You want to use a couple rings as you can reverse them and actually get the second lens closer to the first than is possible if you only had the one stepring.

That may not sound likely, but if you try it you will see how it works.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 8:21 AM   #9

tcook wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the tip. I have just been trying stacking a 14B and a 17 and did not think of reversing the step rings. I am stacking the 17 in front of the 14B because of the weight. Which do you do and is there a difference?
Quote:

I put the tcon 17 closest to the camera as I read somewhere that it is important to have the most powerful lens first, plus look at the extra light the 14B can gather.

But I see very little difference in the results either way.

If you use the method I described of pressing a 77 mm filter into the Tcon 17 and you are adding the 14B use a little silicone glue on the pressed fit.

The fit will loosen after a period of time if you do not.

I had a 14B fall after a couple months of use. Lucky for me it just dented the edge of the 14B which I later straighten.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 9:20 AM   #10

nznhut wrote:
Quote:
My line of thinking was close to what Genece contributed - I have a 77mm rubber lens hood I got for $10, and will use that instead of a 77mm filter without the glas. I think I am going to try the TCON-17 and the TL-55, and see how it works. Thanks for the support and suggestions from all.
I'll be interested to see how the 77mm rubber lens hood idea works. Is the rubber stiff enough to hold the weight of another tcon? The tl55 isn't that heavy so that might be okay. Putting the much heavier 14b on ther might bend the rubber. Where did you get the $10 lens hood?