Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 13, 2005, 8:40 PM   #1

I just bought an FZ-5, and have been wanting to see something cool to try it out on. This morning my wife called me to the window, and this is what I saw. As I am new to digital (or any) photography, I'd appreicate constructive criticism. Also, if somebody could let me know how to add more than 1 file at a time, I would be grateful.
Attached Images

finn05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 13, 2005, 8:42 PM   #2

Here is another...sorry, wasn't sure how to put them both in one post
Attached Images

Old Jul 13, 2005, 8:59 PM   #3

Nice pics. He really gave you the cold stare in #2:!:

Hiroshi
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2005, 10:37 PM   #4

thanks...ya, he looked like he was about to eat me. I left...
Old Jul 14, 2005, 7:09 AM   #5

Congratulations on your wonderful capture of the hawk!
oprakitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 9:34 AM   #6

Nice Hawk.To add more than one picture to a single post requires that you have the pictures on a website somewhere else. Instead of uploading a file you add links to those URL's in the single post here.
pschooley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 9:36 AM   #7

Very nice. You managed to pull off a couple of nice shots in what I'm sure was a short amount oftime. One trick when shooting birds or any objets where there is a lot of contrast with brights and darks, is to set your exposure compensation setting down a third or two. This helps insure that you don't get any blown out hightlights, which are very difficult if not impossible to correct in post processing.

A great way to learn the principles of photography is to do some reading. Just reading Steves camera vocab definitions can be a helpful start. And then when shooting in program mode, note what settings the camera is choosing (aperture, shutter speed, iso, flash, no flash. This is a good way to become familiar with some of the basics. Then as you learn more, start experimenting with shutter and aperture priority modes, different iso settings and have fun.

A big part of digital photography is post processing of the pictures where you can do things like adjust the exposure brightness, remove noise, and sharpen the pic for example. It is highly recommende to get a decent editing program ( I use photoshop elements 3, for example) and to spend some time learning how to use it.
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 10:21 AM   #8

Bmullen you are right.
Even dSLR do benefit of some PP.

By the way nice pics, Finn05

Some PP to the first one (sharpen, contrast, contrast mask, NR on Background, frame)
Attached Images

Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 10:46 AM   #9

thanks for the tips everyone. I've been going through some of the posts on this site, and they have been very helpful so far. Another few years, and I will be able to make it through them all...:-)

One other question: bmullen, you suggested to set the exposure compensation down a bit. Would that have made a difference to the white flower on the left hand side of the second picture? It has no detail, and just looks like a white blob.

Narmer, the things you did are amazing! That picture looks way better! Thanks, I will try playing around with those effects you used. This makes me even more excited about getting into photography!
Old Jul 14, 2005, 3:58 PM   #10

Yes, it would have. Sometimes to get a bright spot in the pic exposed acceptably you might have to lighten up the other parts, but software can do this very well.
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote