Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 14, 2005, 1:11 AM   #1

http://www.spanburgh.com/The_Remote/

There's a layout there of the schematic for the cable release of the FZ20. It seems very simple to build yourself, and I'll probably give it a try. Only problem is I'm having difficulty finding a momentary push-button switch with a 2-step closed function. I guess I could just use 2 individual momentary switches, and use it like a joystick. Trigger finger gets the focus lock (holds it down), then the thumb activates the shutter.

I'm assuming if you're in manual focus, that the 1st closed-switch stage would pretty much just bypass focusing, since it's set on manual, and the 2nd closed-switch would take the shutter. No problem there. What happens though, if you're in auto-focus, and you closed the shutter switch [by accident] before closing the focus-switch? That's my only concern at this point.

Any thoughts?
Rhombuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2005, 8:01 AM   #2

Here is a drawing Stan sent me and I made a wireless remote from the drawing

This is the controller we used

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...0&tc=photo

But if you just want a wired remote why not buy one for 15 dollars.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=WD1V&rd=1
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 9:53 AM   #3

Hi Gene,

Yep, I saw yours and Stan's posts on DCResource about this. I might attempt the wireless remote in the future, but for the short-term, I just need a cable release to steady the tripod shots.

I'm not really a fan of either the Panasonic or Phayee remote, they look too small and flimsy/lightweight. I need something with larger switches .

BTW, could you tell me where you guys were able to locate those 2.5mm 4-banded plugs? I can't find them anywhere...
Old Jul 14, 2005, 10:44 AM   #4

Rhombuss wrote:
Quote:
Hi Gene,

Yep, I saw yours and Stan's posts on DCResource about this. I might attempt the wireless remote in the future, but for the short-term, I just need a cable release to steady the tripod shots.

I'm not really a fan of either the Panasonic or Phayee remote, they look too small and flimsy/lightweight. I need something with larger switches .

BTW, could you tell me where you guys were able to locate those 2.5mm 4-banded plugs? I can't find them anywhere...

First the button on both the Panasonic and Phayee remote are just fine you would not want them any larger. They are about the same size as the shutter button on the camera.

But since you want to try this.. the dollar store sells handsfree headsets for cordless phones for a buck.

There are about 5 different ones, but you need the one that has 4 sections as in Stans drawing.

If you do this, do not forget the resistors as you do not want to just short out the circuits.
Old Jul 14, 2005, 12:54 PM   #5

Yeah, I understand that the Nokia headsets have the 4-banded connectors, I'll give that a try.

Could you address one of the questions in my first post though?

Quote:
What happens though, if you're in auto-focus, and you closed the shutter switch [by accident] before closing the focus-switch? That's my only concern at this point.
Thanks!
Old Jul 14, 2005, 2:05 PM   #6

Rhombuss wrote:
Quote:
Yeah, I understand that the Nokia headsets have the 4-banded connectors, I'll give that a try.

Could you address one of the questions in my first post though?

Quote:
What happens though, if you're in auto-focus, and you closed the shutter switch [by accident] before closing the focus-switch? That's my only concern at this point.
Thanks!

With the wireless I made

You get an unfocused picture.

But the wired remote only has the one button 1/2 press for focus ..full press for shutter.
Old Jul 14, 2005, 2:49 PM   #7

Okay, that's good news. I was worried something might FUBAR the camera if it went straight to complete shutter without focusing.

Now I just gotta find the 4-conductor 2.5mm jack. I see a bunch for sale around for about $10 CAD for Nokia phones...at little more than what I want to pay, considering I'm just severing off the connector :?.