Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 14, 2005, 1:11 AM   #1
Member
 
Rhombuss's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 98
Default

http://www.spanburgh.com/The_Remote/

There's a layout there of the schematic for the cable release of the FZ20. It seems very simple to build yourself, and I'll probably give it a try. Only problem is I'm having difficulty finding a momentary push-button switch with a 2-step closed function. I guess I could just use 2 individual momentary switches, and use it like a joystick. Trigger finger gets the focus lock (holds it down), then the thumb activates the shutter.

I'm assuming if you're in manual focus, that the 1st closed-switch stage would pretty much just bypass focusing, since it's set on manual, and the 2nd closed-switch would take the shutter. No problem there. What happens though, if you're in auto-focus, and you closed the shutter switch [by accident] before closing the focus-switch? That's my only concern at this point.

Any thoughts?
Rhombuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2005, 8:01 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
genece's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,111
Default

Here is a drawing Stan sent me and I made a wireless remote from the drawing







This is the controller we used



http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...0&tc=photo



But if you just want a wired remote why not buy one for 15 dollars.



http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=WD1V&rd=1
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 9:53 AM   #3
Member
 
Rhombuss's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 98
Default

Hi Gene,

Yep, I saw yours and Stan's posts on DCResource about this. I might attempt the wireless remote in the future, but for the short-term, I just need a cable release to steady the tripod shots.

I'm not really a fan of either the Panasonic or Phayee remote, they look too small and flimsy/lightweight. I need something with larger switches .

BTW, could you tell me where you guys were able to locate those 2.5mm 4-banded plugs? I can't find them anywhere...
Rhombuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 10:44 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
genece's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,111
Default

Rhombuss wrote:
Quote:
Hi Gene,

Yep, I saw yours and Stan's posts on DCResource about this. I might attempt the wireless remote in the future, but for the short-term, I just need a cable release to steady the tripod shots.

I'm not really a fan of either the Panasonic or Phayee remote, they look too small and flimsy/lightweight. I need something with larger switches .

BTW, could you tell me where you guys were able to locate those 2.5mm 4-banded plugs? I can't find them anywhere...



First the button on both the Panasonic and Phayee remote are just fine you would not want them any larger. They are about the same size as the shutter button on the camera.



But since you want to try this.. the dollar store sells handsfree headsets for cordless phones for a buck.

There are about 5 different ones, but you need the one that has 4 sections as in Stans drawing.

If you do this, do not forget the resistors as you do not want to just short out the circuits.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 12:54 PM   #5
Member
 
Rhombuss's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 98
Default

Yeah, I understand that the Nokia headsets have the 4-banded connectors, I'll give that a try.

Could you address one of the questions in my first post though?

Quote:
What happens though, if you're in auto-focus, and you closed the shutter switch [by accident] before closing the focus-switch? That's my only concern at this point.
Thanks!
Rhombuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 2:05 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
genece's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,111
Default

Rhombuss wrote:
Quote:
Yeah, I understand that the Nokia headsets have the 4-banded connectors, I'll give that a try.

Could you address one of the questions in my first post though?

Quote:
What happens though, if you're in auto-focus, and you closed the shutter switch [by accident] before closing the focus-switch? That's my only concern at this point.
Thanks!

With the wireless I made

You get an unfocused picture.

But the wired remote only has the one button 1/2 press for focus ..full press for shutter.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 2:49 PM   #7
Member
 
Rhombuss's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 98
Default

Okay, that's good news. I was worried something might FUBAR the camera if it went straight to complete shutter without focusing.

Now I just gotta find the 4-conductor 2.5mm jack. I see a bunch for sale around for about $10 CAD for Nokia phones...at little more than what I want to pay, considering I'm just severing off the connector :?.
Rhombuss is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 2:46 PM.