Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 15, 2005, 5:21 PM   #11

I don't think any price has been announced, it's only a guess. I would still have to consider whether the few additional features (for me) are worth dumping the FZ20 and going for the FZ30.. Right now I would have to say no...

The 8Mp (7 @ 3:2) IS 430mm lens is sure to get a few techno-freaks drooling though.
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 7:10 PM   #12

Nearly every major gripe that I had with my FZ10 has been addressed - moving the SD card slot to the side, provide a manual zoom ring on the barrel, increase the size of the grip and reposition the shutter button, increase the EVF and LCD's to 256K, reposition the tripod thread in-line with the barrel, RAW format and bulb mode - well starynight mode is good enough. But like I stated before I would really have prefered having 6-6.3MP with that ISO800, even if it meant giving up some of that 12x optical zoom for something shorter and a bigger diameter lens (69mm) aka LC1. I really hope that ISO400 is noise free as that would make up for not having an ISO 800/1600.

Harj

PS

The Samsung Digimax Pro 815 has the follwoing over the FZ:

- 2/3" CCD (8MP)
- ISO 50 - 800
- Top shutter speed: 1/4000 sec
- Zoom: 28 - 420mm

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 8:38 PM   #13

having just browsed thru the manual, it doesn't look like i'll be switching from my trusty FZ20 any time soon. the '30 does offer some improvements ilike, such asthe thumbwheels for aperture and shutter in M mode, the flip-LCD (could be useful, even though i use EVF 95% of the time), and the use of a lens ring for zoom rather than the little lever on the shutter button. the zoom offers a visual scale calibrated in 35mm equivalents,but i would MUCH rather have seen a scalecalibrated in focal distance, to tell mehow far outthe lens was focused. mostly, though, it seems that a lot of the features are merely additional complexities that won't really add much functionality to the camera. a "FOOD" mode?? oh, please...

8MPwould benice, but only if the sensor were a lot bigger. higher ISO would've been a much more useful improvement. the addition of a setting for f11 could be useful in some situations (macros, maybe?), but for the most part, do digital cameras really NEED more DOF??? the 'starry sjy' mode looks kinda promising, but not something i'd use often. RAW mode is fine, but i don't do THAT much PP work that i can't do with JPEG, and i could only get40 shots on a full 1GB card!!

as it is, i just don't see much on this new camera to persuade me to sell my '20 and spend another $400 out of pocket to buy something that's more expensive, more complex than it needs to be (remember Scotty's immortal line in Star Trek IV - "the more complicated the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the sink!"), and won't really do anything i can't do with my '20, at least for my purposes. i think i'll keep my '20 for now, and see what else comes along in 6 months or a year...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 8:39 PM   #14

Woops forgot - theres no indication on wether the low light EVF FEATURE has been fixed or whether Pana's learned from the LC1/D2 lack of RAW buffer - on the LC1 if you shot in RAW it would take 6 seconds to save the file and get ready for the next shot. The reason for this is that only 12MB of buffer RAM was fitted on the LC1/D2 which allowed 3 or 4 High quality jpegs before the cam would write to the SD card but only 1 RAW image as the RAW files are 12MB+ in size. From what I can tell the RAW files on the FZ30 are going to be approx. 15MB+ in size, so they really need to have made sure that there is plenty of buffer RAM as it would drive me nuts having to wait 6 secs between shots. I'm not happy that we have lost the low setting for contrast/saturation/sharpness not sure why they would have done that other than improving imagine quality. I can't believe they have put in a food mode and a few other silly modes.

I agree with a Squirrel, Fred and will first wait to see the reviews and sample shots and then decide on whether the 30 is worth the upgrade from my FZ10 or if I wait for Pana's 4/3 DSLR or may be even the new Minolta D5 DSLR.

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 11:53 PM   #15

Some things I ran across in the manual:

Not so sure about the zoom ring. There is a warning that it makes noise and can shake the camera. My Minolta manual zoom is just like a SLR in being smooth with no noise or camera jerk. I'm guessing it might be electric like the focus. I like the focus ring but don't see much advantage of moving the zoom to a ring if it is electric. You are still going to have to wait for the zoom to catch up and re-adjust. Not like manual at all. I hope it turns out to be a noisy manual zoom with a klunk.

I don't like losing almost an f-stop at full zoom. You are nipping into the advantage of the stabilization. There are many situations with my FZ10 that the camera is barely generating enough shutter speed for handholding at f2.8, even with mode 2 stabilization.

The raw files work out to 19Mb each. That is absurd for an 8Mp camera. The Canon Pro 1 puts out 8Mp raw files at 9.5Mb and the A200 and 8800 are in the 12s. That puts more delay in the cycle time than need be there. If they can't design a good raw encryption I have doubts about the software and handling. All raw isn't equal.

There are several warnings about the screen darkening when you half press the shutter and about pictures not being as dark as the screen. It appears they still have the LCD and EVF not having enough gain in low light, and they might still have the "feature" of not being able to frame using an external flash in aperture priority or manual. Had I known how difficult the FZ10 is with an external flash I wouldn't have bought one for the camera. Nor would I be interested in another camera with that great feature.

I had the general feeling with my FZ10 that the camera from the lens connection back was designed by engineers who aren't photographers. It appears they are continuing the trend. The difference in controllability was a big letdown from my old D7i with many manual controls. The comparison is dramatic compared to my little pocket Z750 that was obviously designed by photographers.

A histogram isn't very useful if you don't have access to instant EV corrections. My FZ10 is the only camera I have used that you have to go to menus for simple things like that. As a result I don't adjust for the histogram as often as I do on other cameras. It appears the FZ30 is the same.

With everything being menu generated the camera needs custom user modes. Instead they added two scene modes to the mode dial. They are obviously marketing the camera to beginners. The Z750 lets you make your own custom scene modes, which are the same as custom user modes. With the left button you go right into your custom scene modes, and you can add a picture to remind you of the settings rather than have to remember user 1, user 2 etc. If Panasonic had allowed you to make your own custom scene modes the two scene settings on the mode dial could serve both the beginner and advanced user.

The left button on the FZ30 takes you to the backlight control. Another newbe concession. For outdoor backlighted portraits I use flash so I don't blow the highlights. For things outside the flash range I use spot metering or EV corrections. The pre-set EV correction of a backlight control isn't usually what you need. I have no problem with their setting the camera up for beginners, but there should be custom user settings for the buttons like the Z750 has, so you can put something useful there. I don't see an instant way to change metering modes either. I usually just leave my FZ10 on spot because it is so much hassle to change back and forth.

Manual focus still doesn't have a scale or readout of focus distance. My Minolta has a digital readout. After practicing a little I am able to hit the manual focus just about dead on with the readout. The FZ30 EVF looks to be a better quality than the earlier models, but I still doubt you can do critical focus with it. The scale on my Z750 manual focus isn't nearly as good as the digital readout, but it is a lot better than nothing.

I got an improvement in my 13 X 17 prints going from 5 to 7Mp, and there is still some room for improvement, so 8Mp would be good for me. Unless I have plenty of time to frame a shot, I usually have to crop some. More pixels make up for some shooting sloppiness.

The camera has a lot of improved features. The AE lock is a nice feature. I really like the ability to reduce the in-camera noise reduction. The zoom ring is great if it is manual. The FZs needed a higher quality EVF and the FZ30 looks to be better. And I like an articulating LCD. The FZ30 isn't completely articulated like some, but it seems sufficient. We'll have to wait for the release and some good reviews and samples to make a judgment. I won't even consider it if I can't use an external flash with it though. I know of the workarounds, but they aren't very good.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 6:08 AM   #16

Slipe

which problems did you encounter with your FZ10 and external flash ?

I agree with you and Squirl033:
no hardware fast selection for focus and metering modes is incredible: they could have done that by the left side of the "joystick" instead of reserving it for 2- 10 sec. autoshot.... very sad.
Also the rush for more Megapixels is a bad thing: both because image quality does not proportionally increase and for you may never need that size.

About the CCD, I fear there is a limit in sensor size: bigger CCDs would requite far larger oprics.
I hope they have not exaggerated too much with Noise reduction on FZ30.
But the lack of a ISO 800 is IMO instructive of the level of noise the camera will have at 400 ISO, i.e. more or less the same as on FZ20: thus not pretty unuseable but neither a great one.

Carrots
I would also have preferred by a great deal to have 4 rechargeable stilos instead of the expensive and not very powerful Pana batteries.

Unless IMmage quality and WB/color casts are really greater than on FZ20, I don't think I 'll substitute my FZ20: better wait for the next one, although this has really many many features. maybe they ll address the mentioned issues in the next (FZ40)model...

Narmer

Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 6:48 AM   #17

i'm sold out on this camera so far, however my one concern is whether all of my current (and desired) accessories will work with the FZ30, like the phayee adapter, 6T, 14B,8B, 383, etc. i dont mind switching cameras but switching cameras AND their gear will be a lot of hassle and i'm not looking forward to that
Max_Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 3:20 PM   #18

I read in the manual about the front threads being 55 mm now.A 55 to 62 step-up ringis neededto use old accessories.

The new teleconversion lens is 1.7x, same as the tcon-17. I wonder if the tcon-17 has a 55 mm thread also. If so, maybe Olympusis making the tele lens for Panasonic?
imaruke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 3:34 PM   #19

yes, the TCON 17 uses a 55mm thread...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 10:48 PM   #20

I don't mean to beat an already dead horse but I agree with the others. I would have much prefered 1/1.8" 6MP ISO 800 CCD.

Also, I have no use for a zoom ring. The old method works great for me. I would much rather have an apeture/shutter ring where I could switch via a button the function of the second ring to adjust the shutter or the apeture.

Enjoy life!
Steven
Gospel is offline   Reply With Quote