Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 17, 2005, 12:25 AM   #21

Well it looks like Pana have addressed some issues and I think the camera looks good. I especially like the 30sec exposure option and the jog dials for A and S but why 8MP for the love of God what do I need 8MP for? As everyone has said I would have preferred clean ISO 400 and 4MP than crappy ISO 400 and 8MP.

Treemonkey
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2005, 2:03 AM   #22

Quote:
which problems did you encounter with your FZ10 and external flash ?
With an automatic external flash you have to use a fixed aperture on the camera matching the settings on the flash unit. When you switch to either aperture priority or manual the screen darkens and you can't see what is in the viewfinder with indoor room lighting.

It is supposed to be a feature like the preview on a SLR where the screen goes to the aperture you are actually using so you can see your actual depth of focus. It doesn't really do anything on the FZs except make it very difficult to use an external flash. It is hard enough to see focus subtleties with a full bright screen through a low resolution EVF. And it is still dark at f2.8, unlike a SLR that doesn't change brightness with the preview when you are at full aperture.

There is considerable discussion on the board about the problem. Some people go to program to frame the shot and then go back to AP for the shot, hoping nobody has moved or started picking their nose. If you watch a pro taking shots of people at an event, they fire the camera immediately upon raising it. Some people can paint a natural looking smile and keep it, but most people are looking pretty bland or have obvious forced smiles if you fool with the camera for a while before taking the shot. And I just like to pick my moment to take the shot. It is very unpleasant trying to use an external flash on all of the FZs so far.

Quote:
I would have much prefered 1/1.8" 6MP ISO 800 CCD
I'm curious exactly what sensor you are referring to. They don't make sensors for each camera model. There are just a few sensor manufacturers and a limited group of sizes and Mp available. I'm not familiar with a 1/1.8 sensor with 6Mp currently available to put in a camera. If we are just dreaming I'll take a 12Mp sensor that is 1/2.5 with the noise levels of current DSLRs

If Fuji ever starts selling the 1/1.7 6Mp sensor they are putting in the F10 it would make an exciting FZ. I doubt they could generate the full f2.8 they get with their present 1/2.5 currently in the FZ20 though. But it would be better than the 2/3 sensor's f3.7, and you would have the great ISO abilities to make up for any f-stop loss.

Quote:
I have no use for a zoom ring
Amazing statement unless you are assuming it is electric. Have you ever used a manual zoom on a long tele lens? I agree with you if it electric though.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2005, 2:55 AM   #23

Hi Slipe,

I dont know why you are having this issue as I dont with my FZ10. I have a sunpak 383 and use it extensively for macro work, using aperture priority the camera still gains up. I agree that when using the complete manual mode that gain up doesn't happen but with A mode it does. I am confused.

Treemonkey

slipe wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
which problems did you encounter with your FZ10 and external flash ?
With an automatic external flash you have to use a fixed aperture on the camera matching the settings on the flash unit. When you switch to either aperture priority or manual the screen darkens and you can't see what is in the viewfinder with indoor room lighting.
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2005, 3:13 AM   #24

Treemonkey wrote:
Quote:
Hi Slipe,

I dont know why you are having this issue as I dont with my FZ10. I have a sunpak 383 and use it extensively for macro work, using aperture priority the camera still gains up. I agree that when using the complete manual mode that gain up doesn't happen but with A mode it does. I am confused.

Odd. Mine darkens in aperture priority compared to P mode. Maybe yours is a later model. I ordered mine as soon as it was released. It is probably a little late, but maybe I should look into it.

Edit: I just ran some test shots and the shutter is extremely low in low room lighting with AP. I think I would get a lot of ghosts trying to handhold at 1/3 second.

Manual is as bright as aperture priority if I run the shutter speeds down to the 1 to 1/3 second speeds that AP uses. Still not as bright as P mode though.

If I just set 1/60 in shutter priority it is as bright as aperture priority and would automatically go to F2.8. Unfortunately there are some ranges that f2.8 doesn't work too well with my flash. And I still can't see what I'm shooting very well. It is brighter than the f4 or f5.6 and 1/60 in manual that I usually use though.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2005, 4:21 AM   #25

Max_Pain wrote:
Quote:
i'm sold out on this camera so far, however my one concern is whether all of my current (and desired) accessories will work with the FZ30, like the phayee adapter, 6T, 14B,8B, 383, etc. i dont mind switching cameras but switching cameras AND their gear will be a lot of hassle and i'm not looking forward to that
The camera needs a new adapter design, I am working on a consept design and will try and get an early camera to prove it out. An ok fit can be achieved with a 55-62mm step-up ring.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2005, 1:49 PM   #26

Is it possible that Panasonic is releasing the FZ30 at this time to keep up with the megapixel race but in a few months will release a FZ25 with lower mp count and maybe a few less features as they did with the FZ5 after the release of the FZ20?

It may still be a good idea to send your ideas and input to Panasonic re a 6mp camera with higher iso. They appear to be listening to the users, so a little more encouragement may mean the camera you want could still be a reality.
wighter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2005, 2:56 PM   #27

LoveLife or whoever feels confident:
Whereas the adapter on the 20 attached to a shroud, not the moving lens assembly. Are you saying adapters for the 30 would attach directly to the moving lens assembly? I don't think I'd care to put weight on the lens.

Tazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2005, 5:04 PM   #28

From the looks of the FZ30, the lens is now basically setup like the LC1's rather than the FZ10/15/20. If it is similar to the LC1/D2 then the focusing and zooming are all internal - so the lens never changes shape or size. If the FZ30 had a mechanical zoom it would not have to extend or retract during startup/shutdown.

Regards lens convertors, here's a pic of the FZ30 with a teleconvertor attached directly to the lens it was posted on dpreview. I'm not sure if its a fake as it looks to me quiet genuine.

http://boomzfoto2.fotopic.net/p17602263.html

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 9:56 AM   #29

Tazzie wrote:
Quote:
LoveLife or whoever feels confident:
Whereas the adapter on the 20 attached to a shroud, not the moving lens assembly. Are you saying adapters for the 30 would attach directly to the moving lens assembly? I don't think I'd care to put weight on the lens.
I do not think the FZ30 has an external moving barrel. From what I can tell, their WA and Telephoto lens attach to the female lens threads or to the male click mount for the lens hood.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 6:49 AM   #30

More than a FZ25, I d be very bored to see a FZ40 closer to perfection than FZ30 (eventually 8Mp on a wider CCD) and with ISO-Focus-Metering controls on the cam (not only via the Menus).

Even having moneyand considering how fast technology runs, I really don't think thatit's a good thing to upgrade each year or two a new model is made available.

It could seem funny, but nowthat FZ30 is appearing I am alreaDY thinking about FZ40 which should have all FZ30 has, plus more....

So I think I'll resist and keep from buying it, but as I said in my first post, I'd probably already ordered it If I had had a FZ10 instead of FZ20 (even if these are still very close with each other, much closer than FZ20 and FZ30, at least as far as features).

Nar
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote