Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 19, 2005, 10:44 AM   #31

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:

PS

The Samsung Digimax Pro 815 has the follwoing over the FZ:

- 2/3" CCD (8MP)
- ISO 50 - 800
- Top shutter speed: 1/4000 sec
- Zoom: 28 - 420mm

I really don't know...maybe someone can answer this...

With the Pro 815 lens being F2.2-4.6 is there any advantage in having ISO 800 at longer focal lengths? Or would it be just as usefull to have ISO 400 @ F3.7 with the FZ30?
Troy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 12:34 PM   #32

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
The Samsung Digimax Pro 815 has the follwoing over the FZ:

- 2/3" CCD (8MP)
- ISO 50 - 800
- Top shutter speed: 1/4000 sec
- Zoom: 28 - 420mm
The longer the zoom rangethe more difficult is it to construct a lens that yields sharp pictures throughout the whole zoom range.This could be an advantage of the FZ30.

Also barrel distortion could be a bigproblem of thesamsung lens at wide angle.
Stoney79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 3:37 PM   #33

At the risk of getting lost in the noise, I thought I'd chime in here. I downloaded the FZ30 manual, and although it looks like a big improvement over the FZ20, I was disappointed to find out that it didn't include any of my "must haves" that would be necessary to justify an upgrade.

One thing I change ALL the time is AF mode. I constantly find it necessary to toggle between spot and center focus modes when photographing birds. A button for that would be truly useful. They did add a button for IS, however, but I haven't changed that since day one! Apparently my needs are very different from that of most users. A TTL flash is also important to me. I can't tell you how many times I've over exposed a shot with my SunPak 383 (and then had the bird fly away). Finally, I didn't see any way to capture customized settings. All of these features have been standard on Olympus cameras for years, so I'm not sure why Panasonic doesn't have them.

So for now, I'll stick with my FZ20. If Panasonic would address these issues, they'd have a truly great camera instead of just a really, really good one!
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 3:48 PM   #34

I think an IS button is a waste as well. I too would like button to change AF modes. I can change AF modes on my Casio EX-Z3 by pressing the up button. Well, I used to. The up button hardly works anymore. It is getting close close to upgrade time for my ultra compact carry everywhere camera. The FX9 looks tasty!

Smile! :|
Steven
Gospel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2005, 6:08 AM   #35

My main complaint is no TTL metering. I mean, c'mon, how hard would it be for Panasonic to do this. I do own the Canon 580EX speedlight, so I will probably try it. And I just skimmed everyone's posts, but I didn't see anyone mention the fact that the new FZ30 can be switched to a 5mp mode and a 3mp mode (I believe) where you can increase the zoom range. I think to about 19x, which means you can just have the camera on you and almost get the same zoom as if you had a teleconvertor on your FZ20. But you wouldn't need to carry/buy the teleconvertor. Sure you'd be down to 5mp but you wouldn't have to attach a lens which would reduce the image quality some, anyway. I like this feature. But I do agree, after using the Canon 20D, I can't see having a camera that doesn't go to ISO 1600. And there are plenty of times where I use the 3200 on the 20D. I do like the improvements of the FZ30 and I will definitely purchase it, and get rid of my FZ20. I don't use it now anyway. One other thing, they really should have put in a 9 pt. focus, b/c the focus recomposition always takes the image out of focus a bit (this issue was addressed a while back on this forum).
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2005, 10:19 AM   #36

Hola senorita Nancy !

Glad to see ya back darling, and to have your comments on the FZ30. Size wise, the FZ30 is the same size as the Digital Rebel XT - there was a pict on dpreview showing the two side by side. I agree with the lack of TTL flash - 3 generations of digicam should be enough practice to produce one for the FZ30 and why not a tilting bounce flash like the LC1 (which was just a fab and really useful idea)

On another note senorita, do you have any more pic's for us to see ? Pretty please :G:G:G

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2005, 1:02 PM   #37

Birdman and Gospel

the IS button is necessary IMO: when I am in the dark (i.e. in woods or forests) and I want to take a long exposure without tripod, but only leaning the camera on a stone or on the ground, I must turn off the IS -which must not be active when the cam is on tripod or however steady.

What I really find more then annoying, if not IRRITATING, is that they could have USED THE LEFT DIRECTION PAD FOR METERING AND AF MODES, together with the 10-2 sec autoshot. The same way as it iswith the Upper direction pad, which has more functionalities (bracketing, EV, fine tune...).
It is incredible they keep on with these features in the menues, as well as the ISO one...
It would have been very easy to do that....
I guess what are they thinking about when projecting a cam!

I hope they'll do that in FZ40 (it might be also done with a firmware update, but we all know there will never be one for non vital problems).
Having a FZ20 since December, I think I will not upgrade to 30, even if this seems very improved over FZ10-20.

Narmer

Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2005, 1:08 PM   #38

Another thing:

I see some difference in colors in FZ30 pics, with better Greens and nice colors.

In FZ20 WB is IMO the worst thing at all, very hard to reproduce the exact colors without obtaining yellow hues in the greens, especially where the green is dominant (forests, macros with leaves).

I think that the only feature FZs still lack to completely beat Canon on the whole range of points, is a nice WB and better colors.

I know that with LOW Saturation in camera settings one can do better in PS, and I also can get very nice colors PP a STD saturated FZ20 image, but doing this on hundred shots is annoying even for a person which likes very much to use Photoshop.

Anyway it seems that achieving Perfection might turn out to bedangerous for Panasonic.
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2005, 2:47 PM   #39

I just purchased the FZ5 and thought about returning it for the new F30 coming out.

However, I decided to keep my FZ5 for the following reasons.

1. Very light weight

2. I don't know how I could get better pictures. The FZ5 really produces excellent results.

3. I am totally happy with the camera. Why change? I don't need a more complex ,.heavy camera to carry with me.
EASY DOES IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2005, 3:21 PM   #40

I am not totally enamored over the FZ30 like I was with the FZ1 then FZ1v2 and the FZ10.

For most usersthe noise issue is not a big deal. Some PP programs or plug-ins clean it up rather well. I for one an not a fan of spending alot of time with PP. For those who crop alot I see that 8mp to be a good thing as well as forlarge prints.

Eventuallyall the ins and outs of the camera will be shared and the examples posted. I may go for the FZ30 but only on the tail end of the Pana cycle. I got the FZ20 and actually have been disappointed with it. The FZ10 is by far a better camera in my user opinion. I won't make such claims without having the actual cameras to make such a statement. My own experience of the three is that the FZ1v2 is by far the best of the lot.

I look forward to seeing what gets posted and the opinions of how user friendly this camera is or can be.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote