Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 7, 2005, 9:45 AM   #71

Treemonkey wrote:
Quote:
Quick Answer - It is optical, sorry just found a very useful link that explains it all.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=14461987
The EZ zoom just crops the image from the 8mb chip before it is recorded on the card. NO fancy math that I think does NOT apply here! To get a 5mp image just crop the 8mp to 5mp. Same with 3mp ETC. All it really does is crop the image by various amounts and shapes. Now if only the center pixel was recorded, the result would be infinite zoom!!! What PR that would be.

As in another post: The lens does not move, the chip does not move, nothing moves. Just cropping.

The bigger the chip is, 8mb, the larger the the cropped image at15.1 'zoom' and 19.1 'zoom'. FZ40: 5mp at 19.1 zoom; 3mp at 30!!

Now! Would the PRINTED picture be better with internal cropping or with post processing cropping? That is what I want to know!

Stan
stnkline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2005, 10:12 AM   #72

How was the new EVF for clarity compared to the FZ20?
Dean Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2005, 11:00 AM   #73

Dean Forbes wrote:
Quote:
How was the new EVF for clarity compared to the FZ20?

The FZ30 EVF has 235,000 pixels vs the 114,000 for FZ20.

LCD has 235,000 vs FZ20's 130,000

I like looking thru the FZ30's EVF. Very clear for me. Still has the Diopter Adjustment Dial. FZ30 EVF is on the center line of the camera and not off the the left: FZ20. Nose smudged LCD?

Stan
Old Aug 8, 2005, 5:29 AM   #74

Treemonkey wrote:
Quote:
Hi Slipe,

I dont know why you are having this issue as I dont with my FZ10. I have a sunpak 383 and use it extensively for macro work, using aperture priority the camera still gains up. I agree that when using the complete manual mode that gain up doesn't happen but with A mode it does. I am confused.

Treemonkey

But then it has lag problem when you use F8.0. The camera needs time to close down the aperture to F8.0 when you half pressed the shutter
jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2005, 8:34 AM   #75

jonathan wrote:
Quote:
Treemonkey wrote:
Quote:
Hi Slipe,

I dont know why you are having this issue as I dont with my FZ10. I have a sunpak 383 and use it extensively for macro work, using aperture priority the camera still gains up. I agree that when using the complete manual mode that gain up doesn't happen but with A mode it does. I am confused.

Treemonkey

But then it has lag problem when you use F8.0. The camera needs time to close down the aperture to F8.0 when you half pressed the shutter
At a FZ30 showing that I was at, it was pointed out the the camera now has a solenoid to very quickly close down the shutter. Does make a soft sound.

STAN
Old Sep 29, 2005, 6:44 PM   #76

Jeepers, I wound up on a Fuji v Fz30 site and there`s a lot of comparitve picshere:

http://stevesforums.com/forums/view_...jump_to=380420

An avid lover of all things FZ, (I work with them every day). I can`t find anythingcomparible in the price range, certainly nothing sharper.
razzledog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 4:38 AM   #77

stnkline wrote:
Quote:
wise wrote:
Quote:
BTW, why these fellows had to stick to ancient USB1.1 is more than anybody can imagine.:?
FZ30 "Digital Interface: USB 2.0 [Full Speed]" page 138 '30 manual.

Stan
Just thought I should mention that USB 2.0 Full Speed really is USB 1.1. To get what you think of as USB 2.0 you have to have USB 2.0 Hi-Speed. Look for "Hi-Speed" in red on the USB logo, or you will be getting a USB 1.1 device.

This ridiculous state of affairs seems to be a deliberate policy of the USB standards consortium, and has been acknowledged by them with considerable understatement as follows (which I snagged from a document of theirs): "Users may expect high speed devices to deliver performance as advertised and may not grasp the distinction between low, full and high speed USB". Well, quite!

The FAQ at http://www.usb.org used to try to explain why they did this brain damaged thing to us, but it doesn't any more. At least, I couldn't find anything about it, now that they are pushing this new thing called USB On-The-Go. Nothing to see here! Move along!
anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote