Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 15, 2005, 5:24 PM   #1

I have seen the Olympus Wcon 08B on alot of forums but still don't know to much about it.
A have the FZ20 with a Phayee adapter,does the Wcon 08B just screw on the first tube of the Phayee .Could someone explain the changes it will make on my camera.Do you use the zoom the same as before?Do you still have the 2.8 f-stop.Are the pics as sharp,If your using a UV filter can you keep it on,and anything else I will need to know.Is this the best choice for the money?
gellis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2005, 5:51 PM   #2

gellis1 wrote:
Quote:
I have seen the Olympus Wcon 08B on alot of forums but still don't know to much about it.
A have the FZ20 with a Phayee adapter,does the Wcon 08B just screw on the first tube of the Phayee .Could someone explain the changes it will make on my camera.Do you use the zoom the same as before?Do you still have the 2.8 f-stop.Are the pics as sharp,If your using a UV filter can you keep it on,and anything else I will need to know.Is this the best choice for the money?
The WCON 08B has 62mm threads and will screw directly into the 62mm section of the Phayee. It will increase your wide angle to 28mm from the original 36mm of the Leica lens, everything else remains the same with no light lost. Yes the lens is very sharp and will not degrade the Leica performance. Regarding the UV filter, thy it with and without, if you don't see a difference, leave it on.

Hiroshi
Attached Images

Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 5:51 PM   #3

Do you understand that it is a wide angle lens?

And it takes the 35mm to 28mm on the wide end of the zoom.

It is 62mm and does fit on the Phayee adapter

It is a good quality lens ..no light loss

And IMHO

Not a good idea to add on top of the filter and I see no point in zooming as you are trying to get the widest picture possible.

As far as the best deal thats a matter of opinion. I kind of doubt it.

Other folks with more knowledge can help you more.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 6:41 PM   #4

Yes I understand it's a wide angle.I was just wondering if you could zoom in a little closer if needed with it on?
Old Jul 15, 2005, 8:28 PM   #5

gellis1 wrote:
Quote:
Yes I understand it's a wide angle.I was just wondering if you could zoom in a little closer if needed with it on?
It's important to get a wa lens as close to the camera lens as possible. Thus, take the uv filter off. This will also help with corner degradation at higher zooms. I think lovelife had some comparison zoom shotsusing the 08b. You might search through his posts.

IMO, .8x isn't wide enough. I would opt for the oly wcon07 or the raynox ddcr6600 .66x. These will take you out to 24-25mm with a very slight bit of vignetting at wa. Their use at more than 1x with the fz20 is very limited due to corner degradation, however.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 4:57 PM   #6

What other options are there for the FZ20?I really don't want to use a step up or step down ring .It would have to be 62mm.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 5:18 PM   #7

Well, considering wide angle lenses cost quite a bit, and the WCON08B is one of the few available in 62mm mounting threads (unfortunately with only 0.8x), it might be prudent if you wanted to purchase another wide angle lens with 55mm threads and buy the Raynox adapter. A lot places sell it for less than $18 USD, so it wouldn't be a bad investment if you wanted to get the WCON-07 or Raynox DCR-6600 WA lenses.

I've seen the SoBe Photo store on Ebay sell bundled Raynox DCR-6600 lenses and the adapter - check it out.
Rhombuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 5:35 PM   #8

Will I have more vignetting with a step down ring?
Old Jul 16, 2005, 5:53 PM   #9

gellis1 wrote:
Quote:
Will I have more vignetting with a step down ring?
Yes. But as Rhombuss suggested, get a raynox aluminum rt5264p adapter (only $16 at bugeyedigital.com) for a bit more than the step ring will cost and you'll be in good shape. The rt5264p was designed for the fz10/15/20.

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 5:55 PM   #10

Well, it depends on the WA lens, but of course it's better NOT to use a step-down/up ring if you can avoid it.

I just looked around, 55mm-62mm step rings are about $10. Considering the Raynox is just a few dollars more, you might as well get the adapter instead of the step ring. That way, you'll have more versatility in buying filters and lenses. You can accomodate both 55mm and 62mm without stepping rings.

I'd personally rather spend $18 on a Raynox to get 55mm threads, than $10 on a stepping ring :G
Rhombuss is offline   Reply With Quote