Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 21, 2005, 9:58 AM   #11

The fz1/2/10/15/20 all have threaded adapter-to-camera-body connections. After market adaptersfor those cameraswere relatively easy to produce. The fz5 has essentially the same 55mmadapter construcion as the fz3; abayonet style.Yoshida made an aluminum 55mm adapter for the fz3 that attaches as shown below. Works very nicely and handles the the tcon17 as shown in the last pic. The problem with the fz5 is its solid body construction. That little screw at the bottom is not there. There is no way to securely mount a permanent 55mm receiving lens adapter as with the fz3.

[align=center]

[/align]
[align=center]
[/align]

[align=left]
[/align]
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2005, 9:05 AM   #12

Thanks Fmoore, it think you have put it in a nutshell. There is no reliable way of attaching a heavy lense such as the TCON17, without a chance of it popping. I suppose its a case of taking the risk, sanding down the adapter to the thread point and holding on to the TCON tightly!

I do wonder though with the FZ5's popularity rising whether Phayee would think about making one as I'm sure that the potential demand is there.

Thanks for the comprehensive pictures and info.

Anyway, I will post some pics eventually folks, although in comparision to some of the shots I've seen posted mine are positively feeble.
overexpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2005, 10:43 AM   #13

overexpo wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Fmoore, it think you have put it in a nutshell. There is no reliable way of attaching a heavy lense such as the TCON17, without a chance of it popping. I suppose its a case of taking the risk, sanding down the adapter to the thread point and holding on to the TCON tightly!

I do wonder though with the FZ5's popularity rising whether Phayee would think about making one as I'm sure that the potential demand is there.

Thanks for the comprehensive pictures and info.

Anyway, I will post some pics eventually folks, although in comparision to some of the shots I've seen posted mine are positively feeble.
Pany seems to be putting out a new model annually with slightly different adapter designs. If that continues, no one will be interested in producing a different adapter for each camera. Pany has to decide on one style and stick to it.Perhaps they are intentionally discouraging third party adapters for whatever reason.

Consider getting the oly a200 1.5x tele ($75 at b&h photo). From my tests, it is a true 1.5x. The tcon17 comes in at ~1.6x although it is listed as 1.7x. The tcon17 is the better lens but IMO it's just too big for casual use with the fz5 adapter. The a200 is much smaller. For a comparison of different teles with the fz5, see http://www.artmags.com/fz5/teles/

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote