Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 17, 2005, 8:54 PM   #1

Hi, I've seen all kinds of pictures posted on this Panasonic forum and other parts of Steves website.....and even other forums,etc.....and was curious if there was any basic criteria used as to judging photography..... too me photography is very subjective.There are some basics...... realizing that there needs to be a center of interest(what you see first or something that will hold your eye)....and I think composureguidelines are very helpful.Telling a story is another criteria....but I'd be curious to hear what elseeveryone has to say.Thanks in advance, bentleysmom
bentleysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 17, 2005, 9:15 PM   #2

B.M. You've opened up a very interesting and controversial subject. As you've stated, there are the basics, a general criteria that a good photograph should meet. But the rest can also depend on culture, perspective and what is considered good art in different parts of the world etc. It will be interesting to see how big this thread gets. Beyond the photograph's subject matter, interest in the subject, rule of thirds (composition), control of the lighting, selective detail, etc, etc. etc., it will be interesting and eye opening to read our learned colleague's responses.

What do I say? As a photographer, you are the master, the camera is your brush, the PP programs are your paints and the photo-paper is your easel. Beyond that, if you can translate what you feel in your heat when you view and compose a photograph onto paper (or pixel memory) and it touches someone else, you've done well. What more can be expected of you?!!!

Thank for starting a most interesting thread.

Hiroshi

Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2005, 10:14 PM   #3

You think we're going to give up the secret, B-mom? No way! Hints: You need the background workingon the story angle.Which takesyou to the angle angle. Then all you have to do is get the colors and theshadows in the right places.

But I aint gonna tell you how.:-)
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2005, 10:15 PM   #4

Bmom, I'll leave it to others, I'm sure there will be many, to scribe the lists and still others to quantify the various elements and steps. All that leads to good photography to be sure. Still a really good picture needs to evoke emotion. That is the illusive factor. A moment ago I was looking at one of pappy's shots of a furry forest spider. Prior to that Max's white tiger. Each allowed me to connect with them, not spiritually, or out of fear, maybe just an acceptance of their existance and the wonder therein. Often its a magic moment captured. Such moments are all around us. We take them for granted. Then someone shows it to us.
Tazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2005, 11:36 PM   #5

As was said before it is subjective so if the picture pleases you than to me it is a good picture. Of course it is satisfying if others like your picture, but if you took a picture you really disliked and others praised would you than consider it a good picture? If you shared a picture you really liked and no one commented on it would you than consder it a bad picture? I am not saying one should not try improve their photographic skills but, unless you are intending to sell your pictures, the bottom line is it has to please you.
Now please say that you like all my pictures.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2005, 11:40 PM   #6

A good Photo simply stands out from the majority of images, it will have excellent composition and correct technical attributes.

It will have a simplicity and balance about it free from distracting objects but also focused on the subject content.... and optimally framed.

The direction and quality of light plays a big part as it gives dimension to the image, flat lighting is less dramatic but good for detail like buildings.

More... the judging criteria differs be it a Landscape, Building, Portrait, Pet , Bird shot, a flower closeup, A candid or a Macro some people prefer certain subjects over others.

Also location helps some Pros go to exotic places (Grand Canyon) (High Sieras) (New Mexico) (Central Australia) (China) and with correct composition and exposure capture amazing images the WOW factor ...

To most people this is not available ... consequently you have to make do with your own surroundings, your suburb, friends, pets,flowers, the local park and the occasional vacation.

A great photo opportunity will strike you before you pick up the camera its also hard work before you capture the image its 10% inspiration 90% perspiration ( is the old maxum. )
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 12:36 PM   #7

BM

Johns put it very well - not sure if tehres anything to add at all.

Harj

:G
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 9:43 PM   #8

Like you Harj...........John has a most beautiful way with words..........dont think I could add anything either.............guess its a real case of enjoying your hobby and be your own critic.......

Hazz
Hazzarbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 11:14 PM   #9

bentleysmom wrote:
Quote:
Hi, I've seen all kinds of pictures posted on this Panasonic forum and other parts of Steves website.....and even other forums,etc.....and was curious if there was any basic criteria used as to judging photography..... too me photography is very subjective.There are some basics...... realizing that there needs to be a center of interest(what you see first or something that will hold your eye)....and I think composureguidelines are very helpful.Telling a story is another criteria....but I'd be curious to hear what elseeveryone has to say.Thanks in advance, bentleysmom

I think if there was such criteria, photography wouldn't be as artistic as it is. I think of it as an indirect reflection of emotion. It stands out and gives someone a feeling of some sort.

If photos were made with a checklist, then none would stand out from the crowd... Be individual..
DEEV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 2:09 PM   #10

Well, what makes a photo good? It is not the camera that makes a good photo, it is the photographer!

If you're going to photograph a non moving object, take your time! First try to find the best position from where to shoot. Light and perspective play an important role.An unusual perspective is often a good choice (especially when you're shooting everyday things). The background is important too. It is part of thephoto so one shouldn'tjustconcentrate on the object.The photo is good only if all partsharmonize with each other.

Another point is that less is often more.Don't try to show as much as possible with one photo.Try to omit as much as possible!
Stoney79 is offline   Reply With Quote