Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 18, 2005, 8:59 AM   #1

I've been having this problem from time to time and I'm not sure if it's always in the captures or if it justcomes and goes.

First I'd like to know exactly what the dot is and do you think I should send it in for repair?

I am thinking it's a bad CCD but I've been wrong before and this is what it looks like. Anyway thanks for taking the time to look and or give your opinions.

Sorry for the size but it's not really visible at 800 x 600.

Pictures removed.

And captures without the dot, at least that I can see.

rink_rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 18, 2005, 1:59 PM   #2

Hello,

I think i might be able to help you with this problem though I've never had it myself. In the Augest issue of Popular Photogrpahy, Tips and Tricks section. There is a small article titled: Tamingthe wild pixel.

'Taming the wild pixel

One thing that can be a major annoyance with digital photography is the occasional wild pixel that shows up on all your pictures unless you edit it out. Here is how i tame them: I place my lenscap on the lens and take 10-15 shots in rapid succesion. '

Like I said, I've never had this problem myself. Tell me if it works for you or not.

Nigel

n_willox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 1:13 AM   #3

I can't help you on the hot pixel, but I will say that #2 is one gorgeous sunset on the water
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 4:07 AM   #4

If the red dot moves around, then probably just a 'hot' pixel or 2- more common the warmer the camera, and not really worth servicing over (pixels more likely to wrongly register can be 'mapped' out by Panasonic using the camera's service mode, but probably best to just edit any dots out of the pics in post-process)...

However, if the dot is always in the same place then it is probably a CCD fault, and could be worth servicing.

(I had to getthe sensor replaced by Panasonic in my FZ20 from a red dot fault - which happened most often under darker conditions - pity being they took ages to do it).

David C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 8:58 AM   #5

N_willox, thanks for the info. I'll give it a shot next time I'm out with the camera in the next few days.

Hiroshi, thanks. Coming from you that's a big compliment to me.

David C, Thanks for the response and yeah it always happens in the same spot but not always in the same lighting conditions. So it seems to be intermitent but located in the same exact area. The bad news is if the CCD does need to be replaced, and what n_willox suggested doesn't work, I'm 2 months out of the 6 month CCD warranty period. Bummer.

To keep the size of the thread down I'm going to edit the pictures out of the thread.
Old Jul 20, 2005, 1:00 AM   #6

If it is the same sort ofCCD fault that I had (as appears likely), then it might have been there right from the start.

If you check back through photos you have taken earlier (with the highest probability being those with reasonably fast shutter speeds, no flash, and darkish in the 'spot' area) maybe you will find enoughincidence of the spot, from within your warranty period, to argue for it to be still covered.

Probably worth a go. I imagine it would be expensive to fix as a non-warranty repair.

David C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2005, 8:26 AM   #7

Sure no problem. The original images were 1600 x 800. At maximum resolution the pixel sticks out like a sore thumb.

David_C, yeah that's wierd I was looking at the exif's of thesecapturesI have here at work and the lowest shutter speed that has the dot is 1/250. Hmmm I think I might have sime investigating to do later today. As for thetime frame it started a month after I purchased the camera. It never really bothered me until, oneI found this board a short time ago and two, I wanted to print some of thecaptures that have the hot pixel in them.