Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 18, 2005, 9:09 PM   #1

Bought a 72mm polarizer for my FZ20 before I researched the camera, like so many others!I have a Phayee adapter coming in the mail with a 62mm UV.Has anybody tried the 72mm polarizer on the Phayee minus the UV filter?Does it work OK?I would like to know so I can either sell or keep the B+W polarizer.
gellis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 18, 2005, 11:47 PM   #2

Since the Phayee is 62mm you would have to us a 62 to 72mm step-up ring. It would work but it would probably be better to sell it and buy a 62mm.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 3:21 AM   #3

gellis1 wrote:
Quote:
Bought a 72mm polarizer for my FZ20 before I researched the camera, like so many others!I have a Phayee adapter coming in the mail with a 62mm UV.Has anybody tried the 72mm polarizer on the Phayee minus the UV filter?Does it work OK?I would like to know so I can either sell or keep the B+W polarizer.
Sell your 72 and buy a 62mm Linear Polarizer. You will come out ahead. The PL should be about $25.00 on ebay.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 4:58 AM   #4

I thought the Phayee had 72mm threads on the second tube.Is the Phayee shorter then the original Pana tube?
LoveLife,Where can I get a B+W Linear for $25.00
Old Jul 19, 2005, 7:34 AM   #5

Yes, Phayee is shorter than FZ stock tube.

I use Panasonic plastic adapter for Nikon 6T macros: I have a 72-62mm step down ring mounted on the 6T and I thread it inversely on the Pana tube, so that the 6t lies within the Adaptor and only the step down ring emerges. This is fine for it decreases the distance of 6T from the outer Pana-Leica lens. It becomes the same as having I Pemaraal/Phayee, I guess, although I never measured it.

On the other hand, when I mount my 72mm UV protection filter on the Pana adapt. it lies outside andthe distance from the lens, causes reflections in some shots, especially those with some sun light in coming frontally. Sometimes it has happened I read the Leica writing and numbers (those circularly written around the lens) on the dark areas of the counterlight photo.

Finally, when I want to take simple macros (no 6T) with flash, I must remove the adaptor for it blocks the flash light when you are just above the subject.
No simi9lar problem with 6T: I hope it won't cause problems with 2 stacked Nikon 6T, for I am planning to take another one after summer. They work at nearlyhalf focus distance than only 1 6T.

Narmer

PS I have a 62mm Prisma polarizer: It fits perfectly on the Pana front lens. But this is smooth and has no thread, so I must always keep the filteror it could fall.
If I mount the 62mm polarizer on the Pana adapter via the 62-72 ring I use for 6T, it obviloslycauses much vignetting up to 3x zoom I think.

Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 9:44 AM   #6

You can put a 72mm filter on the Phayee hood & yes it will work. The filter will be closer to the lens than if you used the Pana factory hood, but it will be further from the lens than if you had a 62mm filter attached to the Phayee adapter alone. I have done this and the shots did come out OK - but I eventually switched to 62mm filters because of the potential for reflections that exists (and increases) as filter to lens length increases. Also I find it impossible to adjust my polarizer on the Phayee with the 72mm hood attached.My suggestion would be to return your filters if the seller will allow it and to go with 62mm for all. Buy a set of stack caps too and you can tote filters safely in your pocket when you go out to take pics.BTW I hope you have a linear polarizer regardless of the size you decide to keep. Search the forum and you will find out why (if you haven't done so already).
pschooley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 11:21 AM   #7

Yes on the linear.
How do you adjust the polarizer on the 62mm tube.You must have to take the Phayee hood off.That can be a problem to, correct?
Old Jul 19, 2005, 9:22 PM   #8

I actually have the hood off most of the time. One thing I have done from time to time is to adjust the polarizer and then screw the hood on - this makes it hard to knock the filter out of adjustment and usually I don't find the need to adjust it too often in any given session.
Old Jul 20, 2005, 1:57 AM   #9

gellis1 wrote:
Quote:
I thought the Phayee had 72mm threads on the second tube.Is the Phayee shorter then the original Pana tube?
LoveLife,Where can I get a B+W Linear for $25.00
Why do you want a B + W linear polarizer, is there anything wrong with a Hoya? I believe they function identically.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2005, 9:43 AM   #10

I thought the Phayee had 72mm threads on the second tube.*It does.Is the Phayee shorter then the original Pana tube?*Yes