Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 21, 2005, 5:28 AM   #11

wonderwhy wrote:
Quote:
I wrote this on dpreview about noise and think it may be worth repeating here.

A lot depends how large is your photograph. Do you always view photos at 100% on your computer monitor? Do you print 45x34 inch photos to hang on the wall?

To find a camera that you like, try to compare images at the sizes you will use.

Well said! That's why noise doesn't matter too much to me. I just thought I would point it out. Almost every thing I print is 4x6 but now with my first child on the way I will be stepping up to 5x7 and 8x10.
sprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2005, 9:41 AM   #12

Dean Forbes wrote:
Quote:
Panasonic needs to be careful with pricing as anything over $750 gets into DSLR range, albeit without a lens, but DSLR sales are growing faster than P/S digicams. There are a lot of thoughtful discussions at dpreview about the relative merits of buying the FZ30. The consensus seems tobe thatthe sample images are not that good.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Iwas considering upgrade my FZ20 to Canon RebelXT with Canon 400mm. f:5.6L lens. I shall wait and see what owners will say about the FZ30. I love my FZ20 but I do photograph birds hand held in dim light. I hope the FZ30 should be able to solve my problem.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I usually use 400mm lens for handheld birds photography. I prefer camera such as my FZ20 over dSLR because of the lighter weight. I never change lens.
ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2005, 11:22 AM   #13

you do realize that the FZ30 will be ~$700 while a Rebel XT + 400 5.6L will be ~$2000? there's a big difference, and if you have the money, i would say go with the rebel just because there's no beating a dSLR. i've decided myself to skip this step and go straight to dSLR. instead of upgrading to the FZ30 now and later on getting a dSLR, i'm just going to buy a 20D and screw the FZ30:lol:
Max_Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2005, 7:51 PM   #14

Max_Pain wrote:
Quote:
you do realize that the FZ30 will be ~$700 while a Rebel XT + 400 5.6L will be ~$2000? there's a big difference, and if you have the money, i would say go with the rebel just because there's no beating a dSLR. i've decided myself to skip this step and go straight to dSLR. instead of upgrading to the FZ30 now and later on getting a dSLR, i'm just going to buy a 20D and screw the FZ30:lol:
Thanks for your sugestion. But I do not care much about the cost. I do not think the one that cost more will always bebetter. I like the anti vibration, the light weight of my FZ20 and hope the new FZ30 with bigger senser will do well in low light conditions. I am retired and enjoy taking birds photos. What I need is an FZ20 with a bigger sensor.
ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote