Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 20, 2005, 5:17 PM   #1

http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/lumix/index.html

Quite a stepup from the FZ20 very feature laden with some excellent direct setting ability.

My little FZ1v2 is looking toylike and a bit lonely :sad:

boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 20, 2005, 6:11 PM   #2

John

Thanks for posting the link. Phil at DP review has a preview online heres the link:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/panasonicfz30/

Just started to read it myself - one good thing is that the manual zoom is all mechanical aka LC1.

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2005, 8:35 PM   #3

boyzo wrote:
Quote:
http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/lumix/index.html

Quite a stepup from the FZ20 very feature laden with some excellent direct setting ability.

My little FZ1v2 is looking toylike and a bit lonely :sad:
I totally agree with you. It looks like an awesome well thought out camera, but the big issue is going to be noise at ISO 200 and 400. I'm not redy to get rid of my FZ20 yet. If Panasonic perfects its new pixel technology by next year, I'll plop down my hard earned cash for the 10 megapixel ISO800 FZ40 or wait one more year for the 12 magapixel 15X zoom ISO1600 FZ50

Hiroshi
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2005, 10:30 AM   #4

Thank you Boyzo

There are also the samples of six pictures taken with DMC FZ30

http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/l...dels/fz30.html

Narmer

5 to 8 Mp is quite a big difference.
Noise is not that bad, maybebetter than on FZ20, and you can resize of a great deal to have very sharp screen size pics.
That's a lot of space at 3,5Mb each pic, but the final pics quality will be higher than previous FZs.

And for macros, F11 with Nikon 6T means some mm more of DOF...
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2005, 12:09 PM   #5

So far on paper, the FZ30 looks amazing. The EVF/LCD has alot more pixels for sharper images (which is extremely helpful for manual focusing). The FZ20/15 only had 130,000 pixels whereas the FZ30 now has 230,000! Unfortunately, the constant f2.8 aperture is no longer present but it's still not too bad:f2.8 - 3.7 (W - T). Some other neat things that I found in the DPReview comparison is that the FZ30 supports up to 60 seconds for shutter speeds (versus the 8 seconds on the previous models -- remember that people only asked for 15 seconds or so...so 60 is amazing).

It *seems* like Panasonic is taking all of the user complaints from the previous camera models and they are going to fix itsuch as taking nice pictures at high ISO settings and having an EVF/LCD that gains up, we're going to have one damn good camera in our hands!
Comp625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2005, 12:48 PM   #6

USA link; http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs...elNo=DMC-FZ30K

Sorry if it's a dupe.
rink_rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2005, 1:58 PM   #7

rink_rat wrote:
Quote:

Sorry if it's a dupe.
Is this a new feature to any Panny camera?

The new Extended Optical Zoom, which minimizes the image degradation that normally occurs with digital zooming, gives you up to 19.1x power in 3-megapixel photos, and up to 15x power in 5-megapixel photos.
beernutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2005, 5:34 PM   #8

beernutz wrote:
Quote:
rink_rat wrote:
Quote:

Sorry if it's a dupe.

The new Extended Optical Zoom, which minimizes the image degradation that normally occurs with digital zooming, gives you up to 19.1x power in 3-megapixel photos, and up to 15x power in 5-megapixel photos.
Powerful 12x Optical Zoom - LEICA DC VARIO-ELMARIT Lens & ED Lens
The DMC-FZ30's LEICA DC VARIO-ELMARIT lens features 14 elements in 8 groups, including 3 aspherical lenses and an ED (extra-low dispersion) lens which helps to suppress the color bleeding that often occurs in telephoto shots, plus a 12x optical zoom (35mm equivalent: 35 to 420mm). This combines with the large, 1/1.8" diagonal 8-megapixel CCD to give you enormous expressive power. The new Extended Optical Zoom, which minimizes the image degradation that normally occurs with digital zooming, gives you up to 19.1x power in 3-megapixel photos, and up to 15x power in 5-megapixel photos. Plus, the 12x optical zoom can be used together with the 4x digital zoom[sup]1[/sup] to produce a maximum of 48x zooming power.

boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2005, 10:11 PM   #9

boyzo wrote:
Quote:

beernutz wrote:
Quote:
rink_rat wrote:
Quote:

Sorry if it's a dupe.

Powerful 12x Optical Zoom - LEICA DC VARIO-ELMARIT Lens & ED Lens
The DMC-FZ30's LEICA DC VARIO-ELMARIT lens features 14 elements in 8 groups, including 3 aspherical lenses and an ED (extra-low dispersion) lens which helps to suppress the color bleeding that often occurs in telephoto shots, plus a 12x optical zoom (35mm equivalent: 35 to 420mm). This combines with the large, 1/1.8" diagonal 8-megapixel CCD to give you enormous expressive power. The new Extended Optical Zoom, which minimizes the image degradation that normally occurs with digital zooming, gives you up to 19.1x power in 3-megapixel photos, and up to 15x power in 5-megapixel photos. Plus, the 12x optical zoom can be used together with the 4x digital zoom[suP]1[/suP] to produce a maximum of 48x zooming power.
Um, yeah, that's the paragraphwhere Ifound myquote. I was asking if any OTHER Panny camera had included this feature or if the FZ-30 is the first to implement it.
beernutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2005, 10:42 PM   #10

the "extended optical zoom" isn't really an addedzoom capability at all. it just crops away all but the center 3 or 5MP of the image in the camera. the "optical" zoom is still the same, 12x.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"there are definitely some nice features on the FZ30, but so far, i haven't seen anything compelling enough to make me wanna trade in my '20, especially since all my adapters, filters, and add-on lenses won't fit the '30! 8MP is nice if you want to crop hell out of an image and still make an 11x14 print, but for anything i've wanted to do, 5MP is plenty, and the results hanging on my walls are eminently satisfactory and pleasing to the eye.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"the only new features the FZ30 offers thati'd really like to have would be the higher resolution EVF, the zoom ring on the lens, and the thumbwheel controls for aperture and shutter in manual modes. the pivot LCD could be handy too, though i seldom use the LCD on my '20. the rest - well, might be nice, and if i didn't already have the FZ20, i'd be looking real hard at the '30. as it is, i'm with Hiroshi... i'll hang onto my trusty '20 a while longer, and see if Panny pays attention and comes up with a 6MP with a big sensor and USABLE (i.e. low noise)ISO400-800.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote