Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 21, 2005, 11:38 AM   #11

The Tamron hood has a twist to lock method. There are channels in the hood that correspond to tabs on the lens. I do not think what you are hoping for will work. Originally, I cut the chanels off with an exacto knife and addedrubber molding and it worked prettygood for a force fit. However, I was afraid it would fall off. That is why I made the collar. There is no way it will come off.

Good luck withmounting the hood to the Tcon-14b.

I found a rubber hood at B and Hwith an 86mm thread made by Heliopan. It is not very deep, but is very expensive at$59.00. Here is the link:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Just for info, I have not noticed any light loss with the Tamron Hood.
imaruke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2005, 3:51 PM   #12

I have the TCON-14B and the WCON-08B, both of which have 62mm threads and have had no problem with the Phayee lens adapter for about 8 months. Also TCON-17 with 62/55mm conversion ring.

Have a tripod adapter that centers the weight of the FZ20 or the TCON or WCON lenses over the tripod.

Stan
stnkline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2005, 3:59 PM   #13

Hiroshi wrote:
Quote:
The hood answer is a tough one. The Contax #5 hood is no longer available. The only other 86mm hood I've found is $100.00.

I've just ordered the hood that fits the 86mm front thread Tamron 200-500mm lens from B&H for $25.00. But the hood is a bayonet mount so I don't know how it's going to attach until I receive it. I may have to do some modification to it to make it work.

The other simple $1.29 alternative is to use a 4" black PVC pipe connector, its a perfect snug fitand will give you a 3" deep hood. Not great but better than nothing. Here's a pic in case you missed my previous post on it.
I took a piece of black plastic sheeting and rolled it up to make a hood to fit the TCON-14B and one to fit the WCON-08B. I keep it together with Velcro and affix it to the lens with more Velcro. What is perfect with this is that the cost is minimal and can folded to fit my waist-pac. BTW Can be adjusted to be for Wide Angle or Telephoto.
STAN
Old Jul 22, 2005, 4:46 PM   #14

stnkline wrote:
Quote:
Have a tripod adapter that centers the weight of the FZ20 or the TCON or WCON lenses over the tripod.

Stan
what kind of adapter is that, Stan, and where'd you get it?

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2005, 5:16 PM   #15

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
stnkline wrote:
Quote:

Stan
what kind of adapter is that, Stan, and where'd you get it?
I made it in my basement out of 1/4 inch aircraft aluminum 6061-T6. It is'L' shaped to put weight on centerline and various 1/4 x 20 tapped holes to put weight above tripod with/ without various add-on lenses. Allows battery or card to bechanged without removing quick release bracket.

STAN
Old Jul 24, 2005, 11:34 AM   #16

imaruke wrote:
Quote:
The Tamron hood has a twist to lock method. There are channels in the hood that correspond to tabs on the lens. I do not think what you are hoping for will work. Originally, I cut the chanels off with an exacto knife and addedrubber molding and it worked prettygood for a force fit. However, I was afraid it would fall off. That is why I made the collar. There is no way it will come off.

Good luck withmounting the hood to the Tcon-14b.

I found a rubber hood at B and Hwith an 86mm thread made by Heliopan. It is not very deep, but is very expensive at$59.00. Here is the link:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Just for info, I have not noticed any light loss with the Tamron Hood.
Hi imaruke,

I just received the Tamron hood yesterday and your right it doesn't fit. The good news is that I measured the outside diameter of the Tamron base and it's 95mm, so I ordered a step-up-ring 86mm-95mm this morning, $19.95 from B&H . I plan toglue it on the base and save on the labor involved in making your adapter ring. Hope it works or I'm out 20 bucks
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2005, 11:41 AM   #17

Hirosi,

Good idea for your setup with threads. The pany doesn't have threads so I had to make the collar. Take some pictures when you are done so we can see it.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 4:40 AM   #18

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
thanks to all for the hood suggestions...

any thoughts on the wisdom and/or effectiveness of mountinga polarizer BEHIND the TCON instead of on the front of it?
Anyone ?

Chad
jchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2005, 6:02 AM   #19
jcr

I'm also very interested on knowing the same...
jcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2005, 8:26 AM   #20

I bought a new 86 mmUV filter to use with my panasonic tcon lens but have not bought a new polarizer. All of my filters go on the front on what ever setup I am using. It just seems easier this way for me.

If I understand what you are trying to do, you will need to add a 62mm male thread to the polarizer filter so the tcon-14b will attached toit. I have never seen a 62 mm male thread nipple so you would have to make your own or try to improvise.

Someone with more experience with step up and step down rings may have to help here. My only idea is to try and find a step up/step down ring combination thatwill put 62mmmale threads at both sides. Forexample: 62 male to 72 female step up ring attached to 72 male to 62 male step down ring. I do not know if ring configurations are available like this. These will probably be close to half the cost of a decent 86 mm polarizer.

Keep in mind though, if youupgrade thecamera at some time but keep the tconlens,you will have to buy a differnet setup again.Maybe it is best to bite the bullet and buy an 86 mm polarizer?