Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 21, 2005, 12:08 AM   #1

okay, i have what may be a dumb question, but i learned long ago that the only real "dumb question" is the one you never ask... so here goes. i just bought a TCON-14B teleconverter for my FZ20. i know the rear threads on this lens are 62mm, so it will screw right onto my Phayee adapter. my question is, if it's aclear, sunnyday, and i want to use a polarizer, do i need to buy a new 86mm filter, or will it work okay to put my 62mm polarizer behind the TCON, and just rotate the teleconverter to adjust the polarizer? it doesn't seem like it should make any difference, but you never know...

second, not-so-dumb question... who makes a lens hood that will fit the TCON-14B? are there any out there, or will i need to cobble up one on my own?

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 21, 2005, 12:52 AM   #2

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
okay, i have what may be a dumb question, but i learned long ago that the only real "dumb question" is the one you never ask... so here goes. i just bought a TCON-14B teleconverter for my FZ20. i know the rear threads on this lens are 62mm, so it will screw right onto my Phayee adapter. my question is, if it's aclear, sunnyday, and i want to use a polarizer, do i need to buy a new 86mm filter, or will it work okay to put my 62mm polarizer behind the TCON, and just rotate the teleconverter to adjust the polarizer? it doesn't seem like it should make any difference, but you never know...

second, not-so-dumb question... who makes a lens hood that will fit the TCON-14B? are there any out there, or will i need to cobble up one on my own?

I can't answer your polarizing question, but since I have a 14B, I would hope someone has the answer. The main concern would be how sturdy the polarizer is and can it support the weight of the 14B which is 16.8 ounces.

The hood answer is a tough one. The Contax #5 hood is no longer available. The only other 86mm hood I've found is $100.00.

I've just ordered the hood that fits the 86mm front thread Tamron 200-500mm lens from B&H for $25.00. But the hood is a bayonet mount so I don't know how it's going to attach until I receive it. I may have to do some modification to it to make it work.

The other simple $1.29 alternative is to use a 4" black PVC pipe connector, its a perfect snug fitand will give you a 3" deep hood. Not great but better than nothing. Here's a pic in case you missed my previous post on it.

Attached Images

Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2005, 1:07 AM   #3

Here's a pic of the Tamron hood
Attached Images

Old Jul 21, 2005, 1:18 AM   #4

thanks, Hiroshi... i remembered you'd made one out of PVC pipe. does that add much to the weight? if the TCON-14B is that heavy, is there a risk that the Phayee threads won't be sturdy enough?

i've been looking for a Contax # 5 hood, but they do seem in short supply. if i can find one, would that be the best solution? if not, perhaps that PVC pipe trick migh tbe my best bet!

Old Jul 21, 2005, 1:40 AM   #5

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
thanks, Hiroshi... i remembered you'd made one out of PVC pipe. does that add much to the weight? if the TCON-14B is that heavy, is there a risk that the Phayee threads won't be sturdy enough?

i've been looking for a Contax # 5 hood, but they do seem in short supply. if i can find one, would that be the best solution? if not, perhaps that PVC pipe trick migh tbe my best bet!

The PVC connector is not that heavy. I've used it and it seems to be fine. The Phayee is very strong and I've not had a problem with it.

I should have the Tamron hood in about 3 days. I'll let you know if it works out. I like it because it's very deep and at $25.00 it doesn't break the bank.

Contax is out of business. All their inventory of the #5 hood is gone. It's doubtfulthat there are any lefton themarket.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 6:31 AM   #6

pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2005, 7:53 AM   #7

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:

squirl033,

Finding a hood for 86 mm became a 4 month project for me. I have the panasonic tcon and it does not have threads. I ended up taking a Tamron hood and modified the end and attacheda collar.if you want to see what the finished hood looks like, follow this link.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23

Other ideas I have seen work are deli containers with the bottom cut off.I believe lovelife tried one like this. My first prototype was cardboard rolled up with a foam core base. It was a slip fit and worked pretty well.

Hiroshi,

Are you going to try and make my collar idea fit the tcon-14B?

imaruke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2005, 8:56 AM   #8

There is one other option. On Ebay you can get a rubber hood just like the Hama but it is 77mm. You have to use a step-down ring from 86mm to 77mm. Some are afraid that that will cause a light loss but I have not seen any difference in exposure with or without the hood. The hood also fits nicely on a B300 or TCON-17 by just pressing it on the front. The total cost is about $20.00 to $25.00. I don't believe it is as long as the hoods people are making.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2005, 9:18 AM   #9

thanks to all for the hood suggestions...

any thoughts on the wisdom and/or effectiveness of mountinga polarizer BEHIND the TCON instead of on the front of it?
Old Jul 21, 2005, 11:02 AM   #10

imaruke wrote:
Quote:
Hiroshi,

Are you going to try and make my collar idea fit the tcon-14B?

My TCON 14B does have front threads and is 86mm. I'm hoping that it will snap on (probably just wishful thinking) if not your collar idea is a good one.