Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 21, 2005, 2:13 AM   #1

Harjtt,

How does the new PanaZ30 specs stand up to your "suggestions" to Pana you offered
to them in your posting here on May 26th. Looks pretty good to me. Suppose they
really listened?

I haven't seen any reaction posted by you yet-did you comment yet on the Z30?

Thanks.
picsgalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 21, 2005, 5:05 PM   #2

Hi Pics

Thanks for starting the thread! I did post a response of the FZ30 when the first picts appeared but theres been quiet a few threads started since then.

My own opinion is that Pana has listened to most of the major gripes and suggestions that a lot of us pointed out for sometime. That suggestion list that I had posted, from memory had 20+ points and a large number of those seem to have been take on board which is good news i.e.

Bigger grip & re-positioned shutter button, in-line tripod screw mount, higher res 256k EVF/LCD, Mechanical zoom ring (no aperture ring though ) larger CCD, longer shutter speed 60 sec (not bulb mode but good enough for me), SD card on the side of the cam and even a new Elmarit lens (never thought that would happen although a 62mm diameter lens would have been perfect!) etc. A lot of those features were already available on the LC1 and if the new lens is half as good as the LC1's summricon then that would be really nice indeed.

However, there were several features on the LC1 and on my wish list that didn't seem to make such as a 1/4000 shutter speed but those are minor and I could live without them for now. I would have prefered a 6 or 7MP 2/3 sensor but Panasonic don't manufacture one and they would have had to source one from SONY again so I can understand that decision. My real dissappointment is that they went for the megapixel race by going for 8MP and 1/1.8" CCD. If they offered a 6MP with clean ISO400 and an option to go up to ISO800 I would say that they had hit the nail right on the head and the Z30 would be a must have but thats not the case. The other points were to have TTL flash and for them to fix the EVF/LCD low light feature which looks as if its still there but hopefully I am wrong. I do really wish that they start to issue firmware updates to the cam's like the likes of Nikon and Canon.

What does get me is that the sample picts on DP review and the offical lumix website don't seem to have that "Leica" look that those from the FZ1/10/20/3/5 and LC1 had, although the WB is definetly much better. I'm going to wait for the full reviews of FZ30 before deciding on whether to upgrade my FZ10 to a FZ30 or whether to save up for a DSLR.

Harj

:? :|

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2005, 9:33 PM   #3

Harj,

I agree with your observations. One thing-did I read properly and understand
correctly that you can increase the zoom from 420x to something like 620x if
you change the size to a lower setting like down to 1600 x 1200 or 800 x 600 pixels?
I have forgotten now where I read that but maybe DPReview. If that's correct I would think that's a real plus. By chance might that be in the SamPro815?

You should feel good about the changes Pana made. Maybe they'll make more wih the
Z40 or 50 eventually. I now continue to wait the Samsung Pro815 reviews and sample pics as well as the Z30. Both seem neat to me.

Everyone should feel good tonight as I went down to take some more moon pics but too cloudy! All are spared
Old Jul 22, 2005, 9:49 AM   #4

Harj,

Here's that info about extending the zoom range on the Z30. It's the Pana Press Release on DPReview site.

"The DMC-FZ30 includes an 8-Megapixel high resolution CCD and a newly developed LEICA DC VARIO-ELMARIT 12x optical zoom (equivalent to 35 mm to 420 mm with a 35 mm film camera) lens. The combination of 3 aspherical lenses and 1 ED lens generates high optical performance while preserving the compactness of the unit. The Extra Optical Zoom, made possible by using the center part of 8-megapixel high resolution CCD, further extends the powerful 12x optical zoom when less than 8-Megapixel resolution is selected. The zoom ratio can be extended to 15.3x for 5-Megapixel and 19.1x for the 3-Megapixel image recording. Zoom range can be extended in total to a remarkable 76.4x (equivalent to 35 mm to 2674 mm on a 35mm film camera) when combined with 4x digital zoom, even if the shooting range is as short as 2m"

Old Jul 23, 2005, 6:16 AM   #5

Pic's

The bounce flash of the LC1 is missing from FZ30 - that was and is a must have how they forgot that i don't know.

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote