Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 23, 2005, 12:55 PM   #1

well yesterday at the beach I took about 100 pictures of flying seagulls and not one of them turned out good, some were focused, some were not, but the detail was very poor in both cases. has anyone here been able to photograph flying birds well? if so, how? this is the last straw for me in deciding to go dSLR:arrow:
Max_Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 23, 2005, 1:40 PM   #2

I know it can be hard, very hard for me. I used FZ1 and FZ5. It can be done, buy you need to practice a lot. I know couple of guys who can do it but not me. But after upgrading to dSLR, I get good flight shots. But now I have other problems like "3fps is not enough", "AI servo on 10D is pain in the neck", "I want 1dMK2".
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2005, 1:54 PM   #3

hehe well i'm planning/hoping to get a 20D cause there's no way in heck i can afford a 1dm2 tho' i'd love to!:lol:

i'm really hoping that with a 20D + 300mm IS f/4L + 1.4 tC i'll be able to get good wildlife shots like I do with the FZ20 + good in-flight shots
Old Jul 23, 2005, 5:16 PM   #4

Hey,hey seagulls have a predictable behaviour.
They will fight against anyone who sits on an interesting place.
Start your FZ5, Exp.time 1/500 or faster, cont. shooting until the card is full.
This is one shot of a longer series.
You get more if you ask for it!

Next step: keep the camera a little bit higher and no one can see your little trick.

... and stop thinking a dSLR would be better (in this case)!

Attached Images

seemolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2005, 5:25 PM   #5

deleted -
Old Jul 23, 2005, 5:56 PM   #6

i got pictures like that...it would seem my criteria for a good picture differs from yours. I wouldn't consider that picture a good one. i like animal portraits, that's what I do most and best, and this camera wont let me capture the detail in the gulls the way I want to. and yes a dSLR is better in many ways, such as AF speed, cropping area (8MP with no noise with the 20D) and the versatility of a wide-variety of lenses. i've been decided to go dSLR for a while for many reasons, this is just one of them, and fortunately come September i should be able to buy a 20D
Old Jul 23, 2005, 6:34 PM   #7

sorry!
ok dSLR I agree, shall I delete the picture?

But I was not only talking about the technical argument.
Shots of many of the fast moving animals were take under somewhat predictable situations. Just think of drangonflies searching their favorite places.
Or kingfishers which will land on a tree above the water in brilliant sun., an eagle landing near his nest.
Under these circumstances watching the anmals was more important, than hunting them with more expensive equipment. But maybe I´m wrong!

Old Jul 24, 2005, 12:23 AM   #8

I wish you hadn't deleted the second picture...it was only one opinion. Maybe mine and others would have seen the photo differently from Max...

Certainly, the first photo of seagulls was sharp and clear...
dee
tudacee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2005, 12:56 AM   #9

What you need is a "Red Dot" sight for rifles. Put the Red Dot on the external flash shoe and just try to point the red dot on the flying birds. Not only it works very well, it is fun too.
Attached Images

ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2005, 1:03 AM   #10

This picture was taken with my FZ20 + 2x Sony eextender using red dot sight.
Attached Images

ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote