Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 25, 2005, 12:44 PM   #11

nice job, very solid-looking, but i'd wager it cost a lot more thanthe $15 i paid for my remote, and it's far too bulky to fit into the side pocket of my camera bag! i'm sure it was a fun project, but as a practical matter, i'll stick with the simple, lightweight, and inexpensive remote i have...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 1:25 PM   #12

The wired remote I made is 1 1/4 by 1 1/4 by 3/4 inches thick. As small as I could make it and still fit in my fingers. The 'I' is the focus button and the 'X' is the shutter release.. I press the foucs button with the first joint of my thumb and release the shutter thit the tip of my thumb. VERY convenient to use!!
Attached Images

stnkline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 4:51 PM   #13

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
nice job, very solid-looking, but i'd wager it cost a lot more thanthe $15 i paid for my remote, and it's far too bulky to fit into the side pocket of my camera bag! i'm sure it was a fun project, but as a practical matter, i'll stick with the simple, lightweight, and inexpensive remote i have...
Actually, the 2 switches, wiring and resistors were about $4. Phone cord used as cabling, another $1. Aluminum square tube and bars (caps and button) were free from a local metal shop, they were just scrap pieces. Maybe $2 for the sandpaper (1500 grit) used, drill bits/tool and dremel kits I already had, so technically it only cost me about $7 CAD :lol:. Definitely more for the point of building one for sure though.

I'd figure a wired remote will probably be used stationary on a tripod, so might as well make a solid one that takes abuse. If I make a wireless remote using Stan's design, the included remote is already very small, so perfect for portability.

Stan, can that small wireless remote be taken apart easily? I've love to relocate that circuity to a small metal housing.
Rhombuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 6:54 PM   #14

Rhombuss wrote:
Quote:
I'd figure a wired remote will probably be used stationary on a tripod, so might as well make a solid one that takes abuse. If I make a wireless remote using Stan's design, the included remote is already very small, so perfect for portability.

Stan, can that small wireless remote be taken apart easily? I've love to relocate that circuity to a small metal housing.
Hi: The wireless remote is a printed circuit bad with all components soldered on. No housing or any thing.IE One piece. If the unit's case is too thick the antenna would have to be mounted outside. Not a big job but be considered in the design.I put mine in a thin metal spice box with a snap on lid with a 9vdc transistor battery inside and the resistors and another 4 conductor plug. I am thinking of trying to use the 7.2vdc from my DPS 9000 external battery. Have too many batteries to keep backups.

STAN
Attached Images

Old Jul 25, 2005, 10:57 PM   #15

Actually, I was referring to the actual remote (with the A,B,C,D buttons), not the receiver board.
Rhombuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2005, 12:07 AM   #16

Rhombuss wrote:
Quote:
Actually, I was referring to the actual remote (with the A,B,C,D buttons), not the receiver board.
The transmitter has three small phillips head screws in the back so I assume it could be taken apart.

Stan

Old Jul 27, 2005, 9:38 PM   #17

stnkline wrote:
Quote:
The wired remote I made is 1 1/4 by 1 1/4 by 3/4 inches thick. As small as I could make it and still fit in my fingers. The 'I' is the focus button and the 'X' is the shutter release.. I press the foucs button with the first joint of my thumb and release the shutter thit the tip of my thumb. VERY convenient to use!!
I am interested in making my own wired remote could you tell me where toget a parts list and schematic.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2005, 11:25 PM   #18

LoveLife wrote:
Quote:
stnkline wrote:
Quote:
The wired remote I made is 1 1/4 by 1 1/4 by 3/4 inches thick. As small as I could make it and still fit in my fingers. The 'I' is the focus button and the 'X' is the shutter release.. I press the focus button with the first joint of my thumb and release the shutter with the tip of my thumb. VERY convenient to use!!
I am interested in making my own wired remote could you tell me where toget a parts list and schematic.
Hi LoveLIfe [LoveLiffe}

Parts required: 36k, 2.7k, 2k 20% lowest wattage resistors available; 4 contact jack from a cell phone hands free attachment from a dollar store $1; container:I used a ring box of my wife's; two low profile single pole normally off push buttons.

The is a picture of this in my post above. The only item I bought was the jack. all other parts were around the house.

STAN

Attached Images