Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 25, 2005, 8:58 AM   #1

Need help selecting polarizer for my FZ20. Should choose linear, not circular, right?

Also, some are described as "top linear" and some just "linear"; is there a difference?

How's this one?

http://www.adorama.com/BW62PL.html?s...&item_no=3

Thanks for the help!
corcoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2005, 9:52 AM   #2

I'm not a fz owner (yet) but from what i know you'll need a circular polarizer. Dunno if the linear ones will do the job for you, they're known to mess up with the camera exposure (on certain types of cameras). If you want to be sure that your polarizer will work, i suggest buying a circular one, they're more expensive but you won't have nasty surprizes.
photon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 10:06 AM   #3

If you have an aftermarket adapter that will work fine,but if you are using the supplied panasonic adapter you need a 72mm filter.

but I would suggest you get an adapter as the Panasonic one sets the filter too far from the lens.

If you need a suggestion for an adapter..This one is from a forum member.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=WDVW&rd=1

Alinear or circular work equally well on the FZ cameras. As they do not use the split beam meteringsystem.

Here is a less expensive one that works well for me

http://www.adorama.com/HY62PL.html?s...amp;item_no=14
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 10:24 AM   #4

genece wrote:
Quote:
If you have an aftermarket adapter that will work fine,but if you are using the supplied panasonic adapter you need a 72mm filter.

but I would suggest you get an adapter as the Panasonic one sets the filter too far from the lens.

If you need a suggestion for an adapter..This one is from a forum member.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=WDVW&rd=1

Alinear or circular work equally well on the FZ cameras. As they do not use the split beam meteringsystem.

Here is a less expensive one that works well for me

http://www.adorama.com/HY62PL.html?s...amp;item_no=14
Thanks for the info. I have the phayee adapter. Your suggestion on the polarizer would save me a few bucks. The only difference I see between the one I was looking at and the one you suggest is that the more expensive one is coated. Any thoughts on this? I don't want to spend more money than I have to, but...
corcoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 4:10 PM   #5

I use the phayee adapter and recently bought a Hoya 62mm circular polarizer on eBay from a reputable seller. I bought one of the coated ones and paid $69 versus almost $100 from an online discount retailer. Here's the link to the seller's eBay store. I believe they had a chart comparing the various uncoated and coated filters.

http://stores.ebay.com/Spotlight-Photo
Dean Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 5:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I have the phayee adapter. Your suggestion on the polarizer would save me a few bucks. The only difference I see between the one I was looking at and the one you suggest is that the more expensive one is coated. Any thoughts on this? I don't want to spend more money than I have to, but...
I thought that was a Hoya purple label filter if that is the case it is double coated.

The reasons for coatings seem to be the more coats the more light it transfers.

Kind of seems counterproductive for what a polarizer does.

And they claim the extra coatings eliminate lens flare but I do not know about that one either.

Maybe a middle of the road approach is best. Seems like I am always hunting a bargain and I don't know if I ever find it.

Old Jul 25, 2005, 6:02 PM   #7

photon12 wrote:
Quote:
I'm not a fz owner (yet) but from what i know you'll need a circular polarizer. Dunno if the linear ones will do the job for you, they're known to mess up with the camera exposure (on certain types of cameras). If you want to be sure that your polarizer will work, i suggest buying a circular one, they're more expensive but you won't have nasty surprizes.
I have an FZ20.

Save money and buy a linear polarizer you do not need a circular polarizer on the FZ20 and actually a linear polarizer will be more effective.

B+W polarizers are excellent quality.

If you live in an area where condensation is a problem (between the two polarizing elements), this will occur going from cold to hot or hot to cold. It's thesame effect as your eye glasses fogging up, I would opt for the sealedB+W Kaesemann polarizer, but be warned, they are very expensive. The 62mm version that fits the Phayee, will run you $100.00 at B&H.

Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 7:09 PM   #8

I thought you had to use a circular polarizer when using auto focus.
Dean Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 8:56 PM   #9

Dean Forbes wrote:
Quote:
I thought you had to use a circular polarizer when using auto focus.
Not necessary on the FZ's. I have a linear and it works fine. Check archived posts on polarizers for more info.
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 9:33 PM   #10

Here is the purple label filter on Lovelifes site.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VieStandard Filters - Purple Label wItem&item=7532307850&category=79000&s sPageName=WDVW&rd=1

Maybe I am wrong about the coatings but this is what Hoya says about the purple label

Standard Filters - Purple Label Filters (Double Coated)
These filters offer both amateur and professional photographers HOYA's famous quality at reasonable prices. They have coatings applied to both surfaces to suppress reflection and increase light transmission. There are a few exceptions in the special effects range which, due to the special materials used in construction, do not have coatings applied. One example is the circular polarizer. It is not coated.