Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 26, 2005, 1:16 PM   #1

Hi, I visited the alligator farm near by and took many pictures but much to my dismay I was fighting shadows.....I was there from morning to afternoon trying to get the right light....Is there a secret to taking picturesd with shadows or is it even possible....I was also fighting water reflection and I had my polarizer and hood on.... help!!!!!......I wish one of you all was here to help me, I'm frustrated.....but going back to try again........bentleysmom
bentleysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2005, 1:17 PM   #2

Here's the second one.....
Old Jul 26, 2005, 1:19 PM   #3

One more......
Attached Images

Old Jul 26, 2005, 1:20 PM   #4

Last one......
Attached Images

Old Jul 26, 2005, 1:24 PM   #5

These all look great, B-mom. Why don't you post one demonstrating the problems you were having.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2005, 1:34 PM   #6

Maybe I'm too hard on myself....There is a shadow over the third picture and I'll post one that looks like alot of the others that I took.These alligators are in water under trees....Thanks for any help and I appreciate your kind comments. bentleysmom
Attached Images

Old Jul 26, 2005, 6:42 PM   #7

the polarizer should remove MOST reflections from water, but its effectiveness depends a god deal on the angle you're shooting at relative to both the water and the light source. i can tell from the first pic that it's working at least to some degree, since you can see down into the water to see the 'gator's leg. to maximize the polarizer's effect, try to shoot at an angle between 45 and 60 degrees to the water, and 90 degrees to the light source. move around if need be to get as close to those angles as you can.

as for the shadows, photographing subjects that are partially lit up and partly in shade is a challenge for most digital cameras. the FZ's are as good as any, but they still have fairly limited dynamic range compared to film, so it's hard to avoid blown highlights if you meter on the shadows (or overly dark shade areas if you meter on the light). i've found it helpful to set the exposure at -2/3EV and leave it there... it helps reduce blown highlights and brings out a bit more of the shady areas. experiment with different EV settings and try using the exposure bracketing feature, which will take one shot underexposed by whatever increment you select, one at optimal exposure, and one overexposed by the same increment. then you can pick the best one. the only one of the shots you posted that really seems to have a problem is the last one, where the highlight along the 'gator's jaw is blown. not too much you can do with that, though you might be able to tone it down in PP... try the exposure bracketing for shots like that, and see what you get.

these shots look pretty good to me... :G
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2005, 10:01 PM   #8

bentleysmom wrote:
Quote:
Maybe I'm too hard on myself....
I'd say that's about right. You got plenty of good pics and some that were not so good due to the bright sunlitareas in otherwise deep shadow. That's to be expected.

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2005, 4:41 PM   #9

That one title 'last one' looks great. I love the way you have captured him...he looks so funny...

jussiuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 7:09 AM   #10

B-mom,

In that last picture, I think you did really good considering the difficult lighting. Part of the jaw is slightly over exposed but not overly so. I think it is stil a good picture. I rally like the first one the best. Thanks for sharing! - Steven
Gospel is offline   Reply With Quote