Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 26, 2005, 5:53 PM   #1

Does anybody use the DMW-FL28 on their FZ20.How well does it work?I read the Sunpak 383 works find but is big and clunkey compared to the DMW-FL28.Will I be happy with the Panasonic flash? Will these flashes cover the 28mm range?
gellis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2005, 8:26 PM   #2

i own the Sunpak 383 and I don't find it too big or "clunkey". coupled with the sto-fen diffuser it works great for me, and the tilt and swivel head is good, very good:arrow:

and if you consider the price difference plus the fact that the sunpak is more versatile, i think it's a clear choice
Max_Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2005, 9:13 PM   #3

Max_Pain,
Do you have the 383 on a FZ20? Can you adjust the intensity of the flash?
Can you direct me to a Sto Fen diffuser

Old Jul 26, 2005, 9:18 PM   #4

The DMW-FL28 is not as powerful twice the price and the head does not swivel.

If you want a smaller flash the are lots of less expensive options, but it seems to me that if you want one that recycles as fast as the 383 it will be a little larger than the lesser flashes.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2005, 10:06 PM   #5

gellis1 wrote:
Quote:
Max_Pain,
Do you have the 383 on a FZ20? Can you adjust the intensity of the flash?
Can you direct me to a Sto Fen diffuser
yes you can adjust the intensity. the flash has a manual mode on the back where you choose the distance and aperture(effectively changing the intensity) or you can use the preset modes which is what I always use and it works great.

here's where I bought my sto-fen diffuser from, same place I buy all my other camera stuff:arrow:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...Type=accessory
Max_Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2005, 6:35 AM   #6

What does the sto-fen do? Does it soften the flash or allow you to use a wide angle lens?
Old Jul 27, 2005, 7:47 AM   #7

If you're not in a hurry to buy, check out ebay. I bought a 383, with the diffuser, for 50 bucks. It's used, but in like new condition. It's not too clunky, but I would guess it probably doubles the weight of the camera. But, you're not using it all the time and it's very quick on and off. And the difference between shots taken with the 383 compared with the onboard flash is literally night and day.
corcoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2005, 7:51 AM   #8

gellis1 wrote:
Quote:
What does the sto-fen do? Does it soften the flash or allow you to use a wide angle lens?
I haven't used the diffuser yet, but I understand it's supposed to soften the effect of the flash to give a more natural looking light.I've achieved great results by using the 383's swivel to 'bounce' the light off the ceiling or walls and it really works wonderfully.
corcoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2005, 7:54 AM   #9

If your bouncing the flash of the wall or ceiling do you still use the diffuser?I could be wrong,but isn't bouncing the flash the same as putting a diffuser on?I know you can't bounce the flash all the time,but by using either bounce or diffuser aren't you trying to accomplish the same results?If this it true why do you need the swivel and tilt if you have a diffuser on at all times? I certainly could be wrong!
Old Jul 27, 2005, 8:15 AM   #10

gellis1 wrote:
Quote:
Does anybody use the DMW-FL28 on their FZ20.How well does it work?I read the Sunpak 383 works find but is big and clunkey compared to the DMW-FL28.Will I be happy with the Panasonic flash? Will these flashes cover the 28mm range?
I have the FL-28 and it works fine for what I need. I am no expert but indoor shots come out clear and crisp.
imaruke is offline   Reply With Quote