Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 27, 2005, 5:22 AM   #1

Hi.

Just recieved my FZ5 yesterday.

I'm a newbie to photografy so I have a lot to learn.

Right now i need your help.

1st - when i move my camera around i feel something inside mooving (not much but enougth to be felt), even with the camera off. is it the Image Stabilizer lens? is this normal?

2nd - I've kind of disapointed with my first shots. i know i have to know how to use the camera before i have good quality images, so I have been trying mainly with simple mode and macro.

This Image shows great quality in macro mode of cotton fibers !

but the nextones shows disapointing images in portrait mode (scaled to 72 DPI and croped):

Iso 200; F/2.8;Exposure 1/60;

Iso 300; F/2.8;Exposure 1/60:

3rd -Firmware apears to be 1.0, not shure how to check it. Is there any update i shoud make?

4th - I live in Europe and I'm interestes in a macro filter or macro lens.. anything around 50 Euros or less to start for now. What is your advice and where to buy it in europe??

5th - THANKS!
dantept is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2005, 7:19 AM   #2

I noticed that your ISO settings for both your portrait mode photos are quite high, 200 and 300. Generally you wouldn't want to use a high ISO unless it was a night photo, or there was very very little light in the room, and if your built-in flash isn't sufficient as a flash fill for the shot.

What kind of lighting condition was the room in? Most prosumer cameras (FZ20 included) aren't the best at indoor shots with the stock flash, but usually sharpness and focus aren't a problem. Your shot seems to be out of focus slightly, or it could just be the way you cropped it.

In terms of the noise, that's probably because of the high ISO setting. Did you manually set the ISO, or was that auto as well? Seems kind of odd that the camera would choose 200/300 for those indoor shots.
Rhombuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2005, 7:30 AM   #3

Light was fluorescent lamp, flash on.

ISO mode was Auto.

Ill try to do some more experiences and post here later

thanks!

Old Jul 27, 2005, 11:03 AM   #4

Hi, you mentioned that you took the indoor pics in portrait mode. I've found that portrait mode is not good for indoor shots (and indeed, in the owner's manual, it says to use it outside). Play around with other settings, and try the portrait mode outdoors. I think you will be impressed with the results.

I can't help you with the lens thing. I am completely confused about add on lenses as well.Good luck with that.

finn05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2005, 12:04 PM   #5

I would highly recommend that until you get a little more experience with the camera, to play with it in "P" mode, and let the FZ5 choose the correct settings.

I also suggest that when shooting ourdoors you always have the EV set to -1/3, and if you really feel experimental, turn on auto-bracketing and set it to a 1/3 spread.

Then you will have 3 exposures to choose from with every shot and you can get a better feel for the situation.

I also like to shoot with the display set so that the histogram is visible; if anything lines up against the right-hand side, you know you will have some parts of the photo that are going to be overexposed.

It's a great camera, have some fun with it!
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2005, 12:31 PM   #6

My FZ20 also has a slight movement and noise. Others on here have assured me it it the IS system, which basically works off a gyroscope principle.

Woody
ukwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2005, 1:23 PM   #7

You wrote " I'm a newbie to photografy so I have a lot to learn".

Does that include the spelling?? :-):-)

Woody
ukwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2005, 1:29 PM   #8

sorry... in portuguese is fotografia... and the spell check icon is too far :-)
Old Jul 28, 2005, 5:19 AM   #9

Macro mode is realy easy / great!

this one was taken in the garden, with no extra care.. regular point and shoot with flash on and automatic settings for macro mode, no "postproduction".Lens was around 10 cm of the target.

sorry for the 2MB image but i wanted to show exactly how the camera saved the image.