Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 27, 2005, 9:31 AM   #1

I accidently got some water in the camera while taking a picture at the beach. I can view the picture in the SD card but can not switch to other mode to take more picture. Sometime, I can not even view the picture. Is there any shop that can fix this in the US or is this lovely FZ-20 gone. Should I start shopping for the FZ-30. Thanks.
Hokies is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2005, 10:05 AM   #2

What part of the camera did the water get into? Someone else may have a more authoritative answer, but I've had experience with other electronic devices and water; it's been my experience that it evaporates eventually and everything works fine again. But it may not beas simple withso sensitive a device as a digital camera.
corcoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2005, 11:11 AM   #3

a lot depends on where the water got in. most modern electronic devices operate on such low voltages and currents, that some of them will actually operate under water without shorting out. many times, electronic devices will stop when wet, but will resume functioning when they've had time to thoroughly dry out. however, impurities and junk in the water can leave a residue that may causeproblems. with a digital camera, the other problem is the potential of moisture getting into the lens and causing permanent fogging or discoloration.

it sounds like at the very least your control knobs and switches are contaminated. you didn't say if the camera merely got splashed, or if it fell in and got submerged. was it on at the time? i'd recommend putting it in a warm (not hot), dry place, opening all the access doors, removing the SD card and battery, taking off any filters on the lens, and letting it sit for several days.hopefully the moisture will evaporate out, and it will work properly again.

ifthat doesn'thelp your problem, you could try taking it to a camera repair shop. they may be able to open it up, blow out the moisture and clean the controls.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 10:58 AM   #4

I had that happen a long time ago. What was suggested was to buy some descant and put the camera and the desiccant, a moisture absorbing compound, in a plastic zip-lock bag and wait. Open all doors first. Took a few days but the camera worked perfectly afterwords.

I did not get salt water in it so I do not know if the method would work for salt water.

Stan

BTW Desiccant is inthose little packages in pill bottles and little envelopes packed in electronic equipment. The company I was working with had desiccant for drying out air lines to delicate equipment and I 'borrowed' some.
stnkline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 10:48 AM   #5

Thank you to all of you who had made suggestions. This is the greatest forum with great people who try to help out other.
Hokies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 8:48 AM   #6

Hokies,

Whether or not you getthe camera working, I'd strongly suggest that you have it looked it. "Water at the beach" tells me it's probably salt water. In time the salt will corrode and destroy what ever it cam in contact with. I've seen circuit boards eaten away after they had contact with salt water.

Here in the US Panasonic has one centralized repair facility. Not knowing where you are, I can't suggest any location. In general, most independent service locations may not have the expertise to properly service your camera, so it's advised you have Panasonic look at it.

Good luck!

Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 3:52 PM   #7

salt water is hard on many materials. it generally won't hurt plastics like the polycarbonate body of the FZ, nor will it harm glass (though it can certainly leave a film of contaminants. it WILL, however, gradually corrode many metals often used in switches and contacts, and, if the circuit boards in the camera are not conformally coated after assembly (probably they aren't - that process is usually reserved only for situatuions where exposure to high humidity or moisture is expected and unavoidable), it can corrode electronic component leads and traces. it will also corrodefittings, memory card and battery contacts.if the camera was submerged in salt water, the only way to save it is to send it in to a service center where they can completely disassemble it, flush out all the contaminants with solvents or cleaners, and reassemble it.

of course, if the beach you were at was on the shore of a lake or river, not seawater, the problem is much less serious, and the earlier suggestions in this threadwill probably suffice.

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 7:22 PM   #8

I had a similar incident happen to my camera (canon s410). The camera which was off, got splashed from the waves (but was not submerged). What do you suggest I do? Do I wait for a few days and let it dry out, not sure if water got in the camera but I saw a tiny bit of water inside the compact flash compartment.

My previous camera (canon S400) also got submereged in water for a few seconds. I wiped if off and immediately turned it on, but a few functions were already unoperational. It was still able to take a few pictures but after an hour, it completely died. Could have short circuited.

Now, with the new one, I have not turned it on hoping that it would still function after it completely dries off. How long should I wait till turning it on and what do you suggest I do in the meantime.
mbalingit is offline   Reply With Quote