Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 29, 2005, 1:02 AM   #1

Well the 86mm - 95mm adapter ring arrived today. I was hoping it would be an easy fit...it wasn't... I had to use my Dremel tool set to completely shave down the 95mm threads on the adapter and it still didn't fit...soI shaved down the already thin lip at the bottom of thehood untilthe two piecesfit together. It took me almost two hours to complete and I used Super glue to cement the two pieces together. Here are three pics of the completed hood now with 86mm screw on threads. The TCON 14B is a large lens and as you can see,is dwarfed by the Tamron hood which is 150mm (6") long and 110mm (4 1/4")in diameter up front. On the plus side, the Tamron hood is made out of plastic (I suspect polycarbonate) and is very light.

For those of you who are looking for a hood forthe 14B this could be an alternative, providing you have the proper tools, patience and steady hands.

Total cost: Tamron hood, $25.00...Adapter ring, $20.00 = $45.00 from B&H Photo

P.S. I noticed no vignetting above 4X

Attached Images

Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 29, 2005, 1:03 AM   #2

Attached Images

Old Jul 29, 2005, 1:05 AM   #3

Attached Images

Old Jul 29, 2005, 8:04 AM   #4

My goodness, do you think that may be overkill?
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 9:50 AM   #5

Nice job I am developing a Hood that will fit in the pouch and use the TCON14B's cap when on the camera.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 9:54 AM   #6

nice job, Hiroshi... it DOES look a bit like a howitzer, though! i can only imagine what it looks like on an FZ20! i trust you have a very roomy kit bag!!
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 11:09 AM   #7

genece - Yea! I think it's overkill. This thing is BIG!

LoveLife - Love to see what you come up with. It sounds allot more manageable.

Squirl - No way can the "Howitzer Hood" fit in my camera bag. It's almost as big as the camera bag:lol:!.... As far as the looks....think of one of those paparazzi with their mega-lenses and you'll be close. It definitely looks verrrrry serious.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 1:10 PM   #8

Looks great Hiroshi! Glad to see it worked out for you. I must say though, when shooting into the sun youwill definitely appreciated the "Howitzer Hood".

If you are trying to carry everything, try theTamrac Adventure 8 backpack. It will hold everything.
imaruke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 2:30 PM   #9

imaruke wrote:
Quote:
Looks great Hiroshi! Glad to see it worked out for you. I must say though, when shooting into the sun youwill definitely appreciated the "Howitzer Hood".

If you are trying to carry everything, try theTamrac Adventure 8 backpack. It will hold everything.
I wasgoing to look at a Tamrac Velocity #9 to see if it can accommodate the hood. I kind of like the swing around feature.
Old Jul 30, 2005, 5:26 PM   #10

imaruke wrote:
Quote:

FYI....I picked up a Tamrac Velocity #9 bag yesterday. I like the swing around to the front feature to get my camera and accessories out without having to remove it from my body. I packed everything in it. Here's the inventory of everything I put in it with plenty of room to spare.

FZ20 with Phayee, Tamron "Howitzer"hood, TCON 14B, WCON 08B, Sunpak 383 with Stofen hood, Hoya 72mm collapsible lens hood, Nikon 6T, Polarizer, FZ20 & Phayee front ring, all the cables, lens brush, lens paper, lens cleaner, lens air bellows, extra batteries, and all the manuals.

I like this bag and the convenience of being able to carry it like a back pack
Attached Images