Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 29, 2005, 9:37 PM   #1

Hello all,

First these shots are from my DSLR (Pentax *ist DS) which I mentioned a couple of months back that I was going to buy. A few members here requested that I post a few shots so I here they are.

By the way there areFOUR shots. I can't count.

Attached Images

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 29, 2005, 9:38 PM   #2

My cousin (the girl) playingco-ed soccer in California
Attached Images

Old Jul 29, 2005, 9:41 PM   #3

Taken in Oshkosh, Wisconsin at the EAA which is an aviation extravaganza for one week the busiest airspace in the world.

The scene was a WWII recreation and I took this shot at a barracks set-up and did a B/W conversion.
Attached Images

Old Jul 29, 2005, 9:42 PM   #4

The plane was totally chrome and I took a picture of myself looking at it.
Attached Images

Old Jul 29, 2005, 10:46 PM   #5

Awesome shot! I've had my eye on the *ist D for some time, it looks good, though I'd probably go for a D70 if I could afford a DSLR. Very nice though!
sprocket87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2005, 3:10 AM   #6

Super shots Tom the flower is gorgeous, the cousin shot is amazing the Bokeh is lovely they are in sharp relief, and the Bicycles are great in B&W, the last shot is cool.

Even with these forum images these shots have quality about them its the large sensor and lack of noise, to me they seem a level above FZXX images, of course credit to you

Reality is even at the lowest ISO setting the FZXX's have noise

Sweet camera the *istDS

John
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2005, 5:06 AM   #7

Great photos. I must agree with Boyzo these just have that extra kick that most Pana photos dont have.
If you dont mind me asking why did you choose the Pentax over the Nikon/Canon/Oly DLSR? I am really considering upgrading my FZ10 and would like your thoughts. I was hoping the FZ30 was going to be my next upgrade but I really wanted a less noisy sensor.

Treemonkey
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2005, 8:45 AM   #8

Thanks for your comments Boyzo and Treemonkey.

Simon,

I chose the Pentax due to the same reason I chose the Panasonic. The features for the price can't be beat. Also, reading in other forums I have not seen nearly the same amount of complaints based on build quality of these cameras and problems they happen to have.

The iso at 3200 for this camera sold me hands down over the rest. Shooting without flash in some cases is your only choice. Image quality as you can see can be accomplished with beautiful results.

Lastly, the price of this camera was far below the others. The fact that 40 years of lens made are compatible with this camera is also a great feature.

As far as a prosumer camera I will stick with the FZXX.

Noise at this point will make a difference whether I will consider the FZ30 or not.

Old Jul 30, 2005, 8:54 AM   #9

I've read that while the noise handling in the *ist D series is fantastic, the images are just too soft. Have you found this to be a problem?
sprocket87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2005, 9:32 AM   #10

I have read about those claims and it seems to me that those kinds of comments are from those who did not even use this camera or formally owned it and then sold it for another brand DSLR.

Quite the opposite in my using this camera as far as sharpness goes. I have been using the kit lens and the Tamron 70-300m DL and Tamron 28-200mm XR Di lenses.

Do the pictures I posted (except for the bikes) look soft to you? I purposely softened the bikes through the B/W process to give it that look which I prefered over the default sharpness.

This camera continues to amaze me at the results I get and it doesn't matter what claims are made against it as far as anything goes.

I did not go with the Canon due to price (this is including future lenses) and the softness of what I saw it produce straight out of the camera. I was told it was like that on purpose (for whatever that is worth) and that sharpness was a matter of taste for the user and could be done in PP.

The D70 is a monster of a camera compared to the *ist DS. The handgrip of the *istDSis by far the best feel of any camera I tried and the viewfinder is another feature I like over the Canon.

Each make of camera have their own points that will have one choose over the other.

Low noise, great price (lenses taken into consideration as well), and excellent results in the pictures taken is my criteria for having this particualr DSLR.

Macro with the FZXX is the best by far from anything I have ever seen. Also, countless images shared here shows how good the FZXX line is.

I only posted the *ist DS images here since it had been requested. I do post pana shots as well. Just been doing more with my DSLR as of late.